Because Parler wasn't entertainment enough, now comes...Truth? From the former president

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah but if you take out the punditry, (just like CNN with Don Lemon or MSNBC with Maddow) and look at straight news they still offer a Conservative perspective but it's not radical. Now if you put media in the hands of a megalomaniacal madman like Trump, he'll make them all look sane.

Possibly deserves its own thread, but I was wondering what a news network could fill it’s time with that isn’t hyper alarmist punditry horse shit when it isn’t straight news. Perhaps a game show like Jeopardy but that’s just one time slot.

“That’s not profitable”. I sometimes wonder if that means something is financially impossible to do or if it means it won’t give vast amounts of wealth to the people that do the least amount of work, if any.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It will probably be hacked within two weeks.
More like 2 hours:

But within hours, pranksters found what appeared to be an unreleased test version and posted a picture of a defecating pig to the “donaldjtrump” account.
The site has since been pulled offline — evidence that Trump is likely to face a daunting challenge in building an Internet business that can stand on its own.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
F'n classic 45!

The most recent former president’s new social media platform—goofily called The Truth Social—would appear to be sourced from derivative code that could potentially get him sued.

Fresh off his last failed business venture as 45th leader of the free world, Donald Trump has now wandered into his next act: tech mogul. After getting kicked off of Twitter, Facebook, and other major social media sites, the Don recently announced the launch of his own platform—a place where MAGA sensibilities can reign supreme, whatever that might entail.

Much has already been written about the fact that Truth Social is basically a reincarnation of Trump’s first love: Twitter. On it, you can post “Truths” (aka tweets), “Re-Truths” (retweets), and there’s also a “Truth Feed” (Twitter feed). Since Trump’s modus operandi has classically been to take something that somebody else already did, stamp his big, fat, bolded name on it, promise it’s going to be better, and then make it worse, this is pretty much par for the course.

However, it would appear that Trump’s new site is not only unoriginal in concept but also in code. As originally reported by Vice News, Truth Social seems to have lifted its digital DNA directly from Mastodon, the open-source alternative social network known for its focus on user privacy and autonomy.

Similarities in the code were first spotted by early users of the platform. Some visitors noted the similarities in front-end appearance between Truth Social and Mastodon, and one user even took a screenshot of the HTML of Trump’s new site which shows explicit mention of Mastodon in the code. The social network had fun with this, tweeting out a reference to the similarities:
Actually, it isn’t all that unusual for other organizations to use Mastodon’s code, because it has a generous open-source policy. Users can create a software “fork,” essentially a modified version of the company’s code for their own purposes, so long as they abide by certain legally mandated stipulations in Mastodon’s terms of service. Somewhat predictably, Truth Social appears to have snatched the code but failed to abide by its terms.

Mastodon leases its software under something called an AGPLv3 license, which basically stipulates that users can use its code so long as they acknowledge where it came from and make the copied or modified code available for public inspection. However, in its own terms of service, Truth Social claims that “all source code” from its software is proprietary, essentially failing to mention that it lifted it from somewhere else.

Speaking with Vice, Mastodon founder Eugen Rochko said that Truth Social’s platform appeared to be “absolutely” based on Mastodon’s code and that it would “indicate a license violation.” Rochko subsequently told Talking Points Memo that his team would lawyer up to consider the potential breach of terms.

“I do intend to seek legal counsel on the situation,” he told the outlet. “Compliance with our AGPLv3 license is very important to me, as that is the sole basis upon which I and other developers are willing to give away years of work for free,” he added.

When reached via email, Rochko repeated much of the same to Gizmodo. “I believe that as of this time Truth Social indeed seems to be using Mastodon code. If you look at these screenshots and compare them to any standard Mastodon installation it will be pretty obvious,” he said, of the posts on Twitter. We reached out to the Trump Media & Technology Group (the owner of Truth Social) for clarification on the whole situation and will update this post if they respond.

As you can see, the front-end of Trump’s new site looks quite similar to Mastodon:
curious-monkey.gif

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It’s going to be a cesspool of white supremacists, old-fashioned racists, insane conspiracy theorists, and violent militant-minded lunatics. Probably won’t be on many major servers for long. They’ll make themselves out to be martyrs again, shut down by liberal “big tech” looking to infringe on their right to free speech. Because you know, it’s not enough for them to say what they want, they have to be given a stage to say it on too, or else it’s “infringement”🙄.

I’ve noticed I have to use lots of quotes when talking about conservatives the last few years.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
The right has turned into a cult.

I see these folks running around with Trump flags and "Go Brandon" stickers on their car now. The right treat these people like celebrities. Like they're cheering on the Dallas Cowboys or something.

If you're running around with political slogans I have some bad news for you. You're in a cult.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I bet you guys forgot this existed?

• Former President Donald Trump’s new social media company appears to have missed its own November deadline to launch an invitation-only beta version of “Truth Social,” its purported alternative to Twitter.
  • The share price of Digital World Acquisition Corp. -- the SPAC company that plans to merge with Trump’s social media firm -- has dropped dramatically since it exploded when the deal was announced in late October.
  • The November release date was the first clear test of whether the company could deliver on its promises to investors who bought stock in DWAC.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Don’t get too happy yet.

But I have to love it!

The man literally did NOT deliver, then extorted to raise more money, to deliver on his first promise.

That's even MORE money on something he can't deliver on no matter how hard he tries.

The amount of untapped suckers this man keeps finding is amazing.

Remember this guy blew through almost that much money, before he really needed it in his re election bid. Also when investors aren't identified and you're dealing with this much grift...

huge-amount-salt-belo-madagascar-november-people-works-evaporation-ponds-near-belo-sur-mer-to-extract-salts-sea-water-63246678.jpg

That phrase about 'grains of salt' come to mind.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
But I have to love it!

The man literally did NOT deliver, then extorted to raise more money, to deliver on his first promise.

That's even MORE money on something he can't deliver on no matter how hard he tries.

They are endless for sure. its amazing how many people line up for trump ti rip off. hell not sure iff ti s ripping off they just volunteer to give him money.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
But I have to love it!

Remember this guy blew through almost that much money, before he really needed it in his re election bid. Also when investors aren't identified and you're dealing with this much grift...

huge-amount-salt-belo-madagascar-november-people-works-evaporation-ponds-near-belo-sur-mer-to-extract-salts-sea-water-63246678.jpg

That phrase about 'grains of salt' come to mind.
The foolish point of view that people only use social media to discuss politics is the death knell for this Titanic of a business venture.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just saw shitbag Nunes is retiring from Congress to be the CEO of Trump’s bullshit media machine. He’s always pushed BS, but I’d rather him be paid (or not) by Trump and his cronies than the taxpayer.

Whatever this garbage Trump is launching turns out to be, I can tell you how it will play out: Google and Apple will refuse to house the app on their platforms when it turns into a racist and conspiratorial cesspool, and then he’ll claim (again) that it’s big tech and the radical left trying to silence the “patriots”.

His company will probably be well funded, but break many laws, including tax laws, and other people will pay the costs and do the jail time, but Fatty will just lie and skate through all of it, with the full support of his dumb redneck cult army.

I would love to be proven wrong.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just saw shitbag Nunes is retiring from Congress to be the CEO of Trump’s bullshit media machine. He’s always pushed BS, but I’d rather him be paid (or not) by Trump and his cronies than the taxpayer.

Whatever this garbage Trump is launching turns out to be, I can tell you how it will play out: Google and Apple will refuse to house the app on their platforms when it turns into a racist and conspiratorial cesspool, and then he’ll claim (again) that it’s big tech and the radical left trying to silence the “patriots”.

His company will probably be well funded, but break many laws, including tax laws, and other people will pay the costs and do the jail time, but Fatty will just lie and skate through all of it, with the full support of his dumb redneck cult army.

I would love to be proven wrong.
well he netter hurry its already failed to even make its beta.

Top Bottom
1 2