before my last birthday, dirt used to be older than me

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Some of us fogey types have gotten stuck in our cultural bubble and have not seen the change all around – or maybe the pace of change has slowed drastically.

8BA5BD94-2D93-4F2C-BDC8-DA0526A5997B.jpeg

Clearly this woman is not in 1935, nor 1953, but can you narrow down what era she belongs to? (I do not have a definitive answer.) What clues would you go by?

What other examples can you come up with do depict how 2021 is nearly indistinguishable from 1985 or 2007?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Who knows. She looks like she's made a catalog sales ad for the tank top. The jeans are not expensive and are probably stretch, but how that would peg her as a woman of 2021 versus 2007 or maybe the late 90s beats me... at least as far as women in catalog sales ads are concerned.

Need more context to know the era. Like if that really is an ad from a women's clothing catalog or online sales array, the whole catalog or set of web pages would tell you something, because it's not that long ago that catalogs like those of Lands End or L.L.Bean etc started featuring more models who are people of color.

U

User.45

Some of us fogey types have gotten stuck in our cultural bubble and have not seen the change all around – or maybe the pace of change has slowed drastically.

Clearly this woman is not in 1935, nor 1953, but can you narrow down what era she belongs to? (I do not have a definitive answer.) What clues would you go by?

What other examples can you come up with do depict how 2021 is nearly indistinguishable from 1985 or 2007?
2006-2011. She doesn't have those stamped on eyebrows that became endemic in the 2010s. Her jeans are not "high rise" (2020s) neither super low rise (early 2000s), and the jean's cut is fitted, but not overly stretchy or baggy. Lastly, the quality of the photo is better than that of earlier 2000s.

lizkat

Reaction score
2006-2011. She doesn't have those stamped on eyebrows that became endemic in the 2010s. Her jeans are not "high rise" (2020s) neither super low rise (early 2000s), and the jean's cut is fitted, but not overly stretchy or baggy. Lastly, the quality of the photo is better than that of earlier 2000s.

Hah, so despite what you said in your first post, you've been paying a fair amount of attention!

U

User.45

Hah, so despite what you said in your first post, you've been paying a fair amount of attention!
The best timestamp is the photoshop though:D Her chest is photoshopped. You can see some chest skin on the right side of her, which is either the pectoralis major, or (more likely) breast tissue that matches the hourglass figure (result of a certain hormonal milieu). If it's a pronounced pectoralis you'd see the muscle's the attachment at the sternocostal region. If it's breast tissue, that tank top would not cover so much of the curves either. Either way, there's a lot more female there than editor was willing tho handle, LOL.

Her left mandibular angle also seems airbrushed a little too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The best timestamp is the photoshop though:D Her chest is photoshopped. You can see some chest skin on the right side of her, which is either the pectoralis major, or (more likely) breast tissue that matches the hourglass figure (result of a certain hormonal milieu). If it's a pronounced pectoralis you'd see the muscle's the attachment at the sternocostal region. If it's breast tissue, that tank top would not cover so much of the curves either. Either was, there's a lot more female there than editor was willing tho handle, LOL.

Her left mandibular angle also seems airbrushed a little too.
Impressive, Detective! I gave up at the eyebrows.

U

User.45

Impressive, Detective! I gave up at the eyebrows.
It's hard to be a woman and not everybody has such beautiful brows like she does, but boy the stamped on brows are such a turn off for me. Same thing with teeth. I get that in America, having perfect teeth is a class-defining characteristic, but the fact that most women have the same smile is another turn off. Never understood how such a diverse country like the USA can have such a narrow beauty standard.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's hard to be a woman and not everybody has such beautiful brows like she does, but boy the stamped on brows are such a turn off for me. Same thing with teeth. I get that in America, having perfect teeth is a class-defining characteristic, but the fact that most women have the same smile is another turn off. Never understood how such a diverse country like the USA can have such a narrow beauty standard.
Eyebrows in America could be a book title. And you’re right, our beauty standard here is incredibly narrow. Plus, we’re all guilty of being judgy and a little fashion police every now and again.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Eyebrows in America could be a book title. And you’re right, our beauty standard here is incredibly narrow. Plus, we’re all guilty of being judgy and a little fashion police every now and again.
Note to self: Read up on the latest in warthog fashion and get up to speed before visiting America again.

U

User.45

After spending a month in Europe it's kinda shocking. I enjoyed that appreciating beauty was a cognitive process as because each women looked pretty in her own way (my wife agrees, LOL). Then we got back to the States and I was shocked to realize how much more revealing young women dress around here despite the level of prudery going on here.

lizkat

Reaction score
"Do as I say, not as I do" somehow in the USA becomes "Acquire the appearance that someone else says is the only way to look, and forget about what you might like or might look well on you,"

Emphasis on ACQUIRE. Buying stuff is in our economic system's DNA.

Another thing we apparently do in the states is buy low, throw away fast.

No one wants those Goodwill textile-dumps any more... especially after Trump made his remark about "shithole countries" -- because those countries promptly said ok keep your secondhand clothes, since you were depressing our own textile industries anyway.

(Thanks Donnie, now no one knows what to do with yesterday's $9 dresses).

Cheap fast fashion is really hard on the environment, too, compared to naturally grown fibers: cotton takes 1 week to 5 months to decompose in a landfill; linen two weeks to six months, hemp four weeks to eight months. Compare and contrast to polyester which takes a couple hundred years to degrade fully into the toxic chemicals and greenhouse gases which it spews off continually meanwhile. Unfortunately polyester accounts for over half the materials used in global fabric manufacture.

And all fashion has costs to the environment not related to the fibers... manufacturing it takes electrical energy and plentiful water, often requires harsh chemicals and so needs post-manufacturing treatment to recycle that water and not to pollute the nearby ground and water resources, and transportation of finished goods to market hauls in another big energy uptake and generates air or ocean pollution as well.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
how much more revealing young women dress around here despite the level of prudery
That is a completely natural paradox, though. My cousin spoke of hearing her very prim and proper christian parents in the bathroom doing foreplay-like things and giggling over the naughtiness of it. Prudishness and debauchery go hand in hand.

U

User.45

That is a completely natural paradox, though. My cousin spoke of hearing her very prim and proper christian parents in the bathroom doing foreplay-like things and giggling over the naughtiness of it. Prudishness and debauchery go hand in hand.
You're right. I think the technical/practical term that applies here is edging and I'm not a fan.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Eyebrows in America could be a book title.

What's funny is most guys 1) don't notice and 2) don't care. I have always said women wear makeup to show up other women, not impress guys. As a guy, I would prefer 75% makeup and ready to walk out the door at the specified time. :)

U

User.45

"Do as I say, not as I do" somehow in the USA becomes "Acquire the appearance that someone else says is the only way to look, and forget about what you might like or might look well on you,"

Emphasis on ACQUIRE. Buying stuff is in our economic system's DNA.

Another thing we apparently do in the states is buy low, throw away fast.

No one wants those Goodwill textile-dumps any more... especially after Trump made his remark about "shithole countries" -- because those countries promptly said ok keep your secondhand clothes, since you were depressing our own textile industries anyway.

(Thanks Donnie, now no one knows what to do with yesterday's $9 dresses).

Cheap fast fashion is really hard on the environment, too, compared to naturally grown fibers: cotton takes 1 week to 5 months to decompose in a landfill; linen two weeks to six months, hemp four weeks to eight months. Compare and contrast to polyester which takes a couple hundred years to degrade fully into the toxic chemicals and greenhouse gases which it spews off continually meanwhile. Unfortunately polyester accounts for over half the materials used in global fabric manufacture.

And all fashion has costs to the environment not related to the fibers... manufacturing it takes electrical energy and plentiful water, often requires harsh chemicals and so needs post-manufacturing treatment to recycle that water and not to pollute the nearby ground and water resources, and transportation of finished goods to market hauls in another big energy uptake and generates air or ocean pollution as well.
Agree as almost always. The weird thing about my daughters is that they LOVE dresses (it's funny because my wife rarely wears a skirt even). Since she'd enjoy it, I'll make sure my older one learns how to make her own dresses, so she'll understand the effort that goes into making clothes. If you know how to build cars and make clothes, you'll practically cover all luxury item people spend exuberant amounts of money on, LOL.

U

User.45

What's funny is most guys 1) don't notice that they care. I have always said women wear makeup to show up other women, not impress guys. As a guy, I would prefer 75% makeup and ready to walk out the door at the specified time. :)
FTFY: Most guys don't notice that they care.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

And that is also quite possible. :) How about an "I don't want to care"?

Actually I prefer a more natural look. I generally like hair down vs up, jeans/sweater over evening dress, less makeup vs more, Cara Delevingne eyebrows vs plucked down to a hair width, etc.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Absolutely.

Most dudes: "I don't care about eyebrows"

Me dating the girls other most-dudes didn't stand a chance with: "Is that a new haircut and color? Looks amazing, brings out your beautiful skin."

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

It would depend on if this is supposed to be a typical look for a young adult female, otherwise any time from the 70s forward.

U

User.45

And that is also quite possible. :) How about an "I don't want to care"?

Actually I prefer a more natural look. I generally like hair down vs up, jeans/sweater over evening dress, less makeup vs more, Cara Delevingne eyebrows vs plucked down to a hair width, etc.
There's an evolutionary advantage with makeup. If it didn't work, women would spend their time doing other stuff that works. Like the blush applied to our model here. Once girls reach menarche, estrogen increases the number of capillaries in the skin of the face which will indicate fertility. Men are programmed to subconsciously respond to subtle signs like this, so unless you have a level of awareness of these things, you're kinda on the hook.

Ironically one of the signs of alcoholism and liver disease is a similar blush with enlarged capillaries (telangiectasia) that impacts men as well...

Top Bottom
1 2