Being Disgusted With Human Beings

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Is this a sign of aging? I genuinely remember the 1960s as being a positive time, at least a time heading in the right direction. Yes, that might have been because of my middle class existence in a wealthy western country. It's as if we finally saw the light on civil rights, but now at 68 years old, it seems like we are unraveling. I'm not trying to exclusively be US centric. How do those outside the US feel about the general status of the human species? It feels to me, living in the US, that it's all falling apart. :(

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Is this a sign of aging? I genuinely remember the 1960s as being a positive time, at least a time heading in the right direction. Yes, that might have been because of my middle class existence in a wealthy western country. It's as if we finally saw the light on civil rights, but now at 68 years old, it seems like we are unraveling. I'm not trying to exclusively be US centric. How do those outside the US feel about the general status of the human species? It feels to me, living in the US, that it's all falling apart. :(
Nothing to do with ageing, (or, not much), just that the 60s - and my mother (bless her) used to always say the same thing - were a time of optimism, a time when - for a variety of reasons, the zeitgeist was but one, social mobility was another - when people believed that the world could become a better place.

The 1920s - for some - were similar.

Indeed, I daresay that if you lived in 1790s France (or the new US) - or 1848 - and were a white male, you may well have thought along similar lines; these were times of hope, of change (intellectual, political, legal and socio-economic and cultural change), when it was possible to believe that things might get better.

Last edited:
OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Nothing to do with ageing, (or, not much), just that the 60s - and my mother (bless her) used to always say the same thing - were a time of optimism, a time when - for a variety of reasons, the zeitgeist was but one - when people believed that the world could become a better place.

The 1920s - for some - were similar.

Indeed, I daresay that if you lived in 1790s France (or the new US) - or 1848 - and were a white male, you may well have thought along similar lines; these were times of hope, of change (intellectual, political, legal and socio-economic change).
If we can believe the science, and I have no reason not to, I mean the experts are the best we’ve got, is that the environment is turning, changes that have been in the works since the Industrial Age started, with what equates to permanent changes for at least a lifetime, despite being warned, no one cared, (too much $$$ to be made) even now I sense a level of detachment, denial and if what is being said from experts is accurate, the human species is going to have a rough road to hoe, if we don’t outright destroy ourselves. :unsure:

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Nothing to do with ageing, (or, not much), just that the 60s - and my mother (bless her) used to always say the same thing - were a time of optimism, a time when - for a variety of reasons, the zeitgeist was but one - when people believed that the world could become a better place.

I think people on the right have the exact opposite opinion of that time period and their utopian decade was probably the 80's.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It's my opinion that humans will ensure their own existence, sure we could wait for nature to take its course with an asteroid or natural climate change. But why wait when we can nuke each other, deliberately accelerate global warming or refuse to vaccinate.

Funny, but not really
X5K3i7Q.gif

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
If we can believe the science, and I have no reason not to, I mean the experts are the best we’ve got, is that the environment is turning, changes that have been in the works since the Industrial Age started, with what equates to permanent changes for at least a lifetime, despite being warned, no one cared, (too much $$$ to be made) even now I sense a level of detachment, denial and if what is being said from experts is accurate, the human species is going to have a rough road to hoe, if we don’t outright destroy ourselves. :unsure:

To be honest, as a woman, (and a white, middle class, western, well-educated woman at that) life is better than it ever was.

Candidly, as a woman, I'd hate to have been alive at any point before the middle of the twentieth century.

I've had life chances - opportunities (academic, educational, professional, - thanks to legal and socio-economic and political & cultural changes etc) that my mother never had; in turn, she had better opportunities and life chances than her mother - a primary school teacher - had enjoyed; her mother - my grandmother - was very well educated for her era (she qualified as a teacher in 1912), and she, in turn, had far better chances than her mother - my great grandmother - had - for she had died young, and never had enjoyed serious educational opportunities, economic independence, or life chances.

And, I'd imagine that for people of colour, or gay people, (at least, in the west), life may be better than it was at any time previously (which is not to say "perfect", or even, "very good"; just "better", and, in some cases, a lot better).

So, no, my "disgust", such as it is, is a lot more nuanced than the post title would allow (and with which I disagree); rather, it lies in the fact that we are not better than we are, that we are not the best possible versions of ourselves.

Last edited:
OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It's my opinion that humans will ensure their own existence, sure we could wait for nature to take its course with an asteroid or natural climate change. But why wait when we can nuke each other, deliberately accelerate global warming or refuse to vaccinate.

Funny, but not really
X5K3i7Q.gif
Human beings can definitely function like a bacteria acts, grow until it crashes.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
To be honest, as a woman, (and a white, middle class, western, well-educated woman at that) life is better than it ever was.

Candidly, as a woman, I'd hate to have been alive at any point before the middle of the twentieth century.

And, I'd imagine that for people of colour, or gay people, (at least, in the west), life may be better than it was at any time previously (which is not to say "perfect", or even, "very good"; just "better", and, in some cases, a lot better).

So, no, my "disgust", such as it is, is a lot more nuanced than the post title (with which I disagree); rather, it lies in the fact that we are not better than we are, that we are not the best possible versions of ourselves.
I can accept this view, but from my perspective, my country seems to be unraveling (maybe it won’t) and the Earth is turning into an oven. Maybe humans will get their heads out of their asses in time, but based on what I see, unlikely. It’s verified I am a pessimist. :oops:

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Come on? Weren't you 7 popped collars cool? ;)

I said the 80’s because that’s when having more money than God became the noblest of pursuits. Those who already had it were worshipped and anything or anyone standing in your way of getting there got demonized. Some argue this personal greed was born from the same “Do your own thing” hippy movement. One group wanted to make the world a better place and the other group just wanted to enrich themselves.

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I said the 80’s because that’s when having more money than God became the noblest of pursuits. Those who already had it were worshipped and anything or anyone standing in your way of getting there got demonized. Some argue this personal greed was born from the same “Do your own thing” hippy movement. One group wanted to make the world a better place and the other group just wanted to enrich themselves.

Actually, that is a very good point.

In subsequent years, (even as early as the mid to late 1970s), my mother always said that she had asked herself what the downside of the "individualism" of the 1960s (which she had thrilled to - as a woman, as a liberal, - doors, - mental, intellectual, social, cultural, economic, professional, educational/academic - which had previously been padlocked, opened for her, transforming her life) might be.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Actually, that is a very good point.

In subsequent years, (even as early as the mid to late 1970s), my mother always said that she had asked herself what the downside of the "individualism" of the 1960s (which she had thrilled to - as a woman, as a liberal, - doors, - mental, intellectual, professional, educational/academic - which had previously been padlocked, opened for her, transforming her life) might be.

Pointing that out sometimes helps people who can't wrap their head around two vastly different value groups existing at the same time, as if they are completely different species.

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I’m just hoping the people who actually care about their fellow living beings (other people, the earth, animals) are in the majority.
You left out a word. "Overwhelming" majority. People who are not in favor of, e.g., Individual-ONE have been in the majority all along, but that majority, even at 60+%, was not enough to stop him getting crammed down our throats.

As an example, 200 "Leftists" is not enough to subdue 100 "proudboy" fuckwits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom