Being threatened with eviction

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m kind of in disbelief here, especially given the times. I’ve lived in my apartment since 2009 and in that time have never missed rent or been a problem tenant. I’ve always had to have a roommate due to the cost of living, but even when I was between a roommate I never missed paying rent.

My lease expired in June. The complex is owned by a soulless corporation and they’re all fancy now with everything being accessible online. The page for reviewing lease renewals had a link to check options. There is one option, 1 year. In the past they’ve also offered 6 and 9 month leases. Due to roommate instability I’m not comfortable signing a year lease. In fact my current roommate is open to us looking for a house to rent but we weren’t thinking that would be until closer to the end of the year.

When the lease option came up a couple months ago I confirmed with the office that they were only offering a year and then I just didn’t sign it for that reason. There was no "or else" verbiage and there has been in the past. This morning I get a call saying they want me to sign a lease or put in a 30 day notice. The office lady is nice enough and we’ve always gotten along. I realize she’s just being a middle man with corporate.

To make things even stupider to me, due to the market new tenants are actually paying less than me and also are getting 2 months free rent. But kick me out?

With so many moveouts in the last year, unpaid rents, and impending mass evictions, why do this now to a proven good tenant?

U

User.191

I’m kind of in disbelief here, especially given the times. I’ve lived in my apartment since 2009 and in that time have never missed rent or been a problem tenant. I’ve always had to have a roommate due to the cost of living, but even when I was between a roommate I never missed paying rent.

My lease expired in June. The complex is owned by a soulless corporation and they’re all fancy now with everything being accessible online. The page for reviewing lease renewals had a link to check options. There is one option, 1 year. In the past they’ve also offered 6 and 9 month leases. Due to roommate instability I’m not comfortable signing a year lease. In fact my current roommate is open to us looking for a house to rent but we weren’t thinking that would be until closer to the end of the year.

When the lease option came up a couple months ago I confirmed with the office that they were only offering a year and then I just didn’t sign it for that reason. There was no "or else" verbiage and there has been in the past. This morning I get a call saying they want me to sign a lease or put in a 30 day notice. The office lady is nice enough and we’ve always gotten along. I realize she’s just being a middle man with corporate.

To make things even stupider to me, due to the market new tenants are actually paying less than me and also are getting 2 months free rent. But kick me out?

With so many moveouts in the last year, unpaid rents, and impending mass evictions, why do this now to a proven good tenant?
I've been out the rental game for ~20 years now, but when we last did we were offered either 1 year OR month-to-month after the first year was up. We asked about doing a 6 month but were told no. Knowing we were going to be looking to buy a house we opted for the month-to-month but still ended up staying 10 months.

Luckily the company wasn't as souless as your leasing company sounds and they only bumped up the lease by something silly like $5 a month for the monthly plan so it all worked out because we paid less overall than if we'd done the year lease and broken it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
My lease expired in June. The complex is owned by a soulless corporation and they’re all fancy now with everything being accessible online.

Is there not a month-to-month extension? My daughter rents from a large soulless landlord as well and when her lease expires in December, she can continue on a month to month basis at their then current rates.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Greed. If you’ve lived there for ten years you’re obviously a sucker that can be milked for more money.

Idiots. Hope things work out for you soon.

With the exception of 2 years with dips in the economy they've raised the rent the maximum the local laws will allow every year. The building has actually been owned by multiple property management companies but the rent increases have consistently been the same.

My first and longest roommate absolutely destroyed the carpet in his room. Based on the length of time we lived there if we both moved out that carpet wouldn't be our responsibility. But since I stayed I paid for the carpet replacement without a complaint. I didn't even try to negotiate it or see if they could or should pay for part of it. I just did it.

But yeah, I'm not the kind of "element" a landlord would want to rent to. Much better to get a bunch of young techies with commitment issues who are always looking for the next best thing.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry OP you are faced with this. I hate the idea of rentng a place to live, they’ll always put the screws to ya. When we first moved to Texas we rented for a year to leisurely find a house to buy. They pull you in with a below market deal and after it’s over, your rents starts up to their targeted goal. Same thing with storage units.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there not a month-to-month extension? My daughter rents from a large soulless landlord as well and when her lease expires in December, she can continue on a month to month basis at their then current rates.

I honestly thought we auto converted to month-to-month when I didn’t sign the lease and I certainly didn’t think this would be a point in history when a property owner would tighten the thumbscrews. But then I got the call.

When I talked to the property manager she said we could come down and discuss my thoughts or alternative ideas, but she also said they want me to sign a year lease or put in a 30 day notice. So I don’t really know what there is to discuss.

Like any left-leaning creative type I am Godawful at selling myself and believe actions speak louder than words. I really don’t know how to approach things when being a good tenant of 13 years doesn’t speak loud enough. It's like that should be so blatantly obvious that there isn't anything else I could possibly say to change their mind.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry OP you are faced with this. I hate the idea of rentng a place to live, they’ll always put the screws to ya. When we first moved to Texas we rented for a year to leisurely find a house to buy. They pull you in with a below market deal and after it’s over, your rents starts up to their targeted goal. Same thing with storage units.

I agree but I'm nowhere near in a position to buy a house. There once was a time in history not too long ago when renting made sense for your lifestyle and it wasn't frowned upon. Now most options don't make sense other than hopping in a time machine to buy your house in the 90's or before.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been out the rental game for ~20 years now, but when we last did we were offered either 1 year OR month-to-month after the first year was up. We asked about doing a 6 month but were told no. Knowing we were going to be looking to buy a house we opted for the month-to-month but still ended up staying 10 months.

Luckily the company wasn't as souless as your leasing company sounds and they only bumped up the lease by something silly like $5 a month for the monthly plan so it all worked out because we paid less overall than if we'd done the year lease and broken it.

The building I live in was built in the 70’s. I’m sure back then it was probably inhabited by families who worked in retail and food services along with older teens/early 20’s people who moved out of their parents’ house for the first time because that’s just what we did back then. Now I’m surrounded by young techies who drive Teslas and BMWs. I have no idea where the low-income people live other than possibly the tent cities down and across the street from my complex.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can’t get this to open outside Flipboard for some reason but I think it relates here.

So on some level it seems like the biggest impact of government housing assistance due to covid has actually made the housing crisis a lot worse.

Why is there a nationwide housing shortage? Did tens of millions of people just appear out of thin air?

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mother got a notice that her rent is going up 11% in October. My daughter, who used to be in the leasing business, has been giving her advice. I’d be happy to connect you as well.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can’t get this to open outside Flipboard for some reason but I think it relates here.

So on some level it seems like the biggest impact of government housing assistance due to covid has actually made the housing crisis a lot worse.

Why is there a nationwide housing shortage? Did tens of millions of people just appear out of thin air?
because they cant build housing fast enough.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mother got a notice that her rent is going up 11% in October. My daughter, who used to be in the leasing business, has been giving her advice. I’d be happy to connect you as well.

I have a few local connections on that.

A coworker moved recently and said in some cases it’s becoming like a bidding war even on rent. It’s also common for a month or two of free rent being offered. 1 year leases are being offered but not 2. Not more than a year because it’s being predicted more people will be moving back due to companies demanding workers show up to the office again so property owners want to get back to bleeding tenants dry again as soon as possible.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
because they cant build housing fast enough.

I acknowledge construction shutdowns due to COVID didn’t help, but this has been a growing problem well before that, at least where I live. We’ve probably been calling it a crisis for at least a decade and have done close to zero about it given the scope. All concern seems to lean towards the side of maintaining and raising property values. Contributing to that is the mentality of wanting or hoping to flip properties in the short term. Signing a $1 million mortgage is less scary if you believe you can sell it for 1.2 in a couple years. Personally I see this as just another form of predatory lending that’s making things much worse.

On a related note I heard a discussion on how we are pretty much dried up on true innovation so the new way of making profits is to create a dependency and once established squeeze the customer for even more money. A long established example of this is cable and internet providers. Wall St loves this practice. How does this relate? You better buy a house and do it now because it’s going to get more out of reach by the second. The alternative is to be slave to the whims of property owners, 95% of who will squeeze you for as much as the law allows and the only market conditions is there’s a long line of suckers who are willing and able to get squeezed even more than you.

But yeah older conservatives, keep waxing poetic about how when you were younger you just applied yourself and the world embraced your effort. Everybody who is struggling now is just a lazy loser.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
housing is getting bought up by big companies all over its going to just get worse.
Wealth inequality makes everything more expensive. Instead of us serfs selling homes to each other when we move, the billionaires buy hundreds of homes, and then they want to make a profit on all of them so they can get even richer.

Anybody notice that for years, Amazon was operating at break-even or a slight loss to “keep their prices low”? Look at their profits now. They only kept their prices low to kill their competitors (using investor money to keep them afloat). Even if their prices are among the lowest now, it’s just because the other people with low prices went out of business... or they people making goods sold by Amazon signed a contract saying they wouldn’t sell things lower than the Amazon price. AND suckers pay Amazon a couple hundred a year for recycled TV shows and “free” shipping (it’s not free if you’re paying for it).

Another example: wait until most taxi companies go out of business. Uber’s prices will double or triple. They are losing money like crazy, propped up by investors. I only hope they go out of business before the taxi companies do.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's also been a big uptick in people buying houses to rent as an investment that is perceived as more stable than the stock market.

I don't know why this crisis isn't a top priority with the possible exception of climate change being more important. The economy is going to get seriously fucked if the only money people have left to throw into it is credit and I'd argue for the majority of the population that's already the case.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I acknowledge construction shutdowns due to COVID didn’t help, but this has been a growing problem well before that, at least where I live. We’ve probably been calling it a crisis for at least a decade and have done close to zero about it given the scope. All concern seems to lean towards the side of maintaining and raising property values. Contributing to that is the mentality of wanting or hoping to flip properties in the short term. Signing a $1 million mortgage is less scary if you believe you can sell it for 1.2 in a couple years. Personally I see this as just another form of predatory lending that’s making things much worse.
here are the numbers I was looking for.
Gavin Newsom's goal to solve the housing crisis. A housing department report concluded the state needs to build 1.8 million new homes during the decade ending in 2025, or 180,000 new homes a year. California averaged just over 108,000 new homes over the past five years.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
here are the numbers I was looking for.
Gavin Newsom's goal to solve the housing crisis. A housing department report concluded the state needs to build 1.8 million new homes during the decade ending in 2025, or 180,000 new homes a year. California averaged just over 108,000 new homes over the past five years.

Does the source say why CA has fallen well short of the goal?

Top Bottom