Biden too soon executive orders

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's one, although not an executive order. Recognize Juan Guaidó as the leader of Venezuela. Um, even though he's not. 😒 I guess we're just going to jump right back into the imperialism game.

Quoting myself here. Imagine if another country still recognized Trump as the President just because lies questioning the election. That is what Biden is doing with Venezuela. Venezuela has been out of the US news for a while, and I have no idea what shape the country is in currently, but regardless, you can't just decide who their leader is based on what will likely benefit you.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Quoting myself here. Imagine if another country still recognized Trump as the President just because lies questioning the election. That is what Biden is doing with Venezuela. Venezuela has been out of the US news for a while, and I have no idea what shape the country is in currently, but regardless, you can't just decide who their leader is based on what will likely benefit you.
I agree with you.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Anyhow, a lot of points made here I acknowledge, some potentially good. If I have to be devil's advocate on here for the point of discussion, so be it.

It has been pointed out that Biden is a more experienced political and legislative operator than Trump could ever have bothered to become. So there's a reason he's starting with EOs.

In his first 48 hours in office, Mr. Biden cranked out about 30 executive orders, of which 14 target a broad range of Trump executive mandates, with the remainder aimed at implementing emergency measures intended to deal with the pandemic and the economic crisis.

“I don’t think it’s fair to say that most of what Trump did can be undone in an afternoon. It’s going to take at least ten days,” said John D. Podesta, a former adviser to President Barack Obama who lobbied for the targeted use of executive action in Mr. Obama’s second term when congressional Republicans blocked his environmental and immigration proposals.

“I think Trump sort of views Article II of the Constitution” — which details the powers of the presidency — “as making him omnipotent, and now he’s going to find out that except for cutting taxes, and maybe some of the foreign policy stuff, very little will actually last,” he added.

It might surprise Trump to hear this from anyone in his erstwhile inner circle:

One former senior Trump aide, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear or retaliation, agreed. “Very little of what Trump did was done to ensure permanence. At the pace Biden is moving, everything Trump did will be gone by the time the sun rises on Monday — except his judicial appointments.

This won't surprise Mitch McConnell. Mitch figured this would happen when the WH changed hands. Mitch is waiting for the legislative efforts to land on Schumer's podium in the Senate.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Another story about the harm of the Trump Muslim ban. It ended up hurting refugees, and determined terrorists would really have no problem getting around it. It was anti-Islam and racist.

Listen to this story of a family that won a visa lottery, but then had to travel through war zones to get to Djibouti for an interview, only to be rejected at the last minute by Trump’s ban. They sold all they had to finance the travel, believing they could make it back when they got to America.

That the SCOTUS said this was “constitutional” even before getting Coney Barrett in there is yet another reason to pack the court. Mitch killed the filibuster for SCOTUS appointees, so take advantage and expand the court to 13.

Eraserhead

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d say this was a good example of a day-one change. in almost all circumstances people would need a new visa to travel to the US anyway so all this does is allow the visa process to start.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Another story about the harm of the Trump Muslim ban. It ended up hurting refugees, and determined terrorists would really have no problem getting around it. It was anti-Islam and racist.

Listen to this story of a family that won a visa lottery, but then had to travel through war zones to get to Djibouti for an interview, only to be rejected at the last minute by Trump’s ban. They sold all they had to finance the travel, believing they could make it back when they got to America.

The travel ban was fucked up...I know a bunch of doctors from Somalia, Iran and I have a bunch or really dear Syrian friends (the nicest guys I know!). Imagine, many foreign medical grads put their entire life on getting into a residency in the USA (the application and travels take upwards 5K, which for many, is a year's worth of income or more). You get in, visit home for vacation and then they don't let you back in (happened with someone at Cleveland Clinic) and even if you're not out of the program, they will think twice about recruiting anybody from these countries. (A reason I get pissed when someone questions whether Trump is a racist).

Or when he was fucking around with DACA....I was heavily involved with resident recruitment as a senior. When we rank applicants we take all sorts of risks or concerns into consideration because services are very thinly stretched and you cannot afford to be one resident down. So the most infuriating thing that came up was an applicant's DACA status. We all immediately reacted to this question with "we'll take this risk, **** racists" and we made sure it is not in any way taken into consideration in the ranking. But the fact Trump's admin made this a legitimate concern disturbs me to date. Not all programs do (or can afford to) stick to their principles like this.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The travel ban was fucked up...I know a bunch of doctors from Somalia, Iran and I have a bunch or really dear Syrian friends (the nicest guys I know!). Imagine, many foreign medical grads put their entire life on getting into a residency in the USA (the application and travels take upwards 5K, which for many, is a year's worth of income or more). You get in, visit home for vacation and then they don't let you back in (happened with someone at Cleveland Clinic) and even if you're not out of the program, they will think twice about recruiting anybody from these countries. (A reason I get pissed when someone questions whether Trump is a racist).

Or when he was fucking around with DACA....I was heavily involved with resident recruitment as a senior. When we rank applicants we take all sorts of risks or concerns into consideration because services are very thinly stretched and you cannot afford to be one resident down. So the most infuriating thing that came up was an applicant's DACA status. We all immediately reacted to this question with "we'll take this risk, **** racists" and we made sure it is not in any way taken into consideration in the ranking. But the fact Trump's admin made this a legitimate concern disturbs me to date. Not all programs do (or can afford to) stick to their principles like this.
The one and only reason for the Muslim ban, wall, ending DACA, locking up kids, was to win the RACIST vote. And it worked. There are 74 million racists at least in America. What a shame. If you are NOT a racist and voted for Trump, then......

You are lying.

You saw the immoral behavior and policies and assumed it wouldn’t be bad for YOU personally so you’re willing to let brown kids be ripped from their moms, families split up by the Muslim ban, listen to calls for police to shoot BLM protesters, etc, etc. if you are OK with that enough to put on pants, walk and/or drive to a polling station, and register a vote for a person that did all that, you are WITH HIM.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m just preemptively starting this thread. I’m not saying I disagree with them on principle, but in some cases I think he should at least give off the appearance he has full intelligence and briefing while in office before he just grabs the pen. Like would the Democrat base flip on him if he waited at least a couple weeks to let people fly in from Syria again?

And I hope this leads to a thoughtful debate and not Trump whataboutism. But I'm sure some will just read the title and reflexively do exactly that.

Well, he has had intelligence briefings for weeks now. Most executive orders he issued are to reverse those left behind by that treasonous moron. Others are aimed squarely at the disastrous COVID response he had to deal with on day one. I don’t think anyone wants to wait for him to act as thousands die daily.

Lastly, he should issue as many and as quickly as he’d like. It’s his presidency and every single day of it counts. Democrats should use every single day to crush Republican agenda and take no prisoners. It’s exactly what they would have done if the roles were reversed. Dems need to start playing hardball.

Top Bottom
1 2