Biden too soon executive orders

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m just preemptively starting this thread. I’m not saying I disagree with them on principle, but in some cases I think he should at least give off the appearance he has full intelligence and briefing while in office before he just grabs the pen. Like would the Democrat base flip on him if he waited at least a couple weeks to let people fly in from Syria again?

And I hope this leads to a thoughtful debate and not Trump whataboutism. But I'm sure some will just read the title and reflexively do exactly that.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A number of executive orders can reasonably be expected on day one, because there is a transition process that starts well before January 20th. In 2021, we know that the Trump administration obstructed and delayed this process, so these orders might be delayed a bit. I don’t know, but that seems likely to me.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

So more info here. As I mentioned I don’t think reversing the travel ban should be a day one priority. On top of that there are already COVID travel restrictions, why jump on this now?
Seriously? The need to rebuild relationships with majority-Muslim countries isn’t a priority? This ban was offensive and contrary to American values. Such policies that discriminate against people for their religion need to be priority ONE for removal. That is NOT America, and I thank you for drawing attention to this. Thank you Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seriously? The need to rebuild relationships with majority-Muslim countries isn’t a priority? This ban was offensive and contrary to American values. Such policies that discriminate against people for their religion need to be priority ONE for removal. That is NOT America, and I thank you for drawing attention to this. Thank you Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I don’t think it’s a day one priority. Frankly, every country and everybody in those country’s should be focused on COVID and not booking a flight to the US tomorrow. It’s also bad optics for those preoccupied with national security from foreign threats. At least give off the impression you spent some valuable time with national security threat experts instead of looking like you just needed to haphazardly reverse a Trump "bad feels" policy. If somebody comes in from one of those country’s and so much as launches a pointy nosed paper airplane at an American the right is going to go crazy with weak on terrorism propaganda.

I’m not saying it should never be done. I’m saying it shouldn’t be a day one priority and I don’t even think people in Muslim countries would expect it to be or be mad and feel betrayed if it didn’t happen on day one.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
People separated from family members by the ban because their spouse unluckily traveled right before it went into effect might not agree with you. Thousands of people are in that situation.

Biden is the kind of person who cares about this type of thing. If he did NOT strike down this ban day one, I would wonder if he had given up on his morals and standards. To me, this shows he has not.

Some people might not consider reuniting families separated by an unjust order a priority. Some find it to be their HIGHEST priority. How wonderful that we switch from a president who couldn’t wait to separate children from their parents to one that couldn’t wait to reunite them.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

So more info here. As I mentioned I don’t think reversing the travel ban should be a day one priority. On top of that there are already COVID travel restrictions, why jump on this now?

Optics, for one thing.

Mr Biden will need time to address the horrendous challenges (health, economic) facing him (and his administration); these will engulf him, soon enough.

However, he needs to send a signal that he is not Mr Trump, a visible and public signal that sends a message both domestically and internationally to allies and other interocutors that this is a new broom, very much intent on dismantling the policies - and the impact of these policies, on people, and on politics - of his disgraced predecessor. This executive order will send such a signal and achieve that.

Basic decency, as @SuperMatt points out, for another.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Optics, for one thing.

Mr Biden will need time to address the horrendous challenges (health, economic) facing him (and his administration); these will engulf him, soon enough.

However, he needs to send a signal that he is not Mr Trump, a visible and public signal that sends a message both domestically and internationally to allies and other interocutors that this is a new broom, very much intent on dismantling the policies - and the impact of these policies, on people, and on politics - of his disgraced predecessor. This executive order will send such a signal and achieve that.

Basic decency, as @SuperMatt points out, for another.

Well, on a related note, how about the Iran deal Obama entered into? No word on that as a priority. Considering Obama actually expanded on Bush's wars I find that omission concerning.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well, on a related note, how about the Iran deal Obama entered into? No word on that as a priority. Considering Obama actually expanded on Bush's wars I find that omission concerning.

I imagine that it will be looked at over the coming days.

Mr Biden's first phone calls with foreign leaders are scheduled for Friday.

I'd be surprised if he didn't touch upon Iran over the coming days - he had already signalled during his election campaign that the Iran deal would be revived, and I have no reason to doubt that this will happen now that the awful Donald Trump is out of office.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I find this to be a strange interpretation of the situation. We went from 150K troops in Iraq when Obama took office down to less than a thousand 2 years later. He did employ a troop surge in Afghanistan, but also wound that down before he left office.

The main thing people ping him for is expanding the use of air strikes. I can’t argue with that, but ”expanded on Bush’s wars” implies a much greater deployment of forces, when in actuality, he greatly decreased troop deployments in conflict zones.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
It’s highly unlikely the new president starts the first day with no knowledge of what is going on. I’m sure he has been briefed long before today.
That depends on whether you are talking about Individual-ONE or a sane person.

Biden, as nominee, was getting the PDB up until Election Day. Then the toddler got pissy and told them to cut him off from it. Eventually that was reversed, so he has been getting it on a daily basis. AIUI, the first thing he said when he looked at it was "more words, fewer pictures."

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
National security adviser Jake Sullivan called the Muslim ban "nothing less than a stain on our nation."

President Biden spoke out against the initial travel ban. So this was expected day one. And with 15 total EOs (and two directives added in), he addressed several critical areas with emphasis on the COVID-19 Pandemic. He is also expected to issue about another dozen EOs by the end of the month, so I expect the Iran Nuclear deal may be addressed, although a great deal will depend on Iran's actions in the face of Mango's despoiling of it several months ago. I wouldn't expect an immediate resumption with every indication that Iran has probably stopped compliance with it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

It's not about immediate resumption of travel itself. It's restarting the visa application and vetting process. They are time consuming.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not about immediate resumption of travel itself. It's restarting the visa application and vetting process. They are time consuming.

You mean like the long overdue review of my friend Fidel Chavez's application? I suspect racial profiling discrimination. :mad::p

Anyhow, a lot of points made here I acknowledge, some potentially good. If I have to be devil's advocate on here for the point of discussion, so be it.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Too soon?

if the sulfuric acid is eating through the floor, you get that mess cleaned up right now

Shocking, but nor surprising.

Top Bottom
1 2