Biden's in town

U

User.191

Joe Biden touched down at Cincinnati Airport (in Kentucky) and right about now he's taking the scenic River Road (Route 50) on his way up to a training center bearly a couple of miles down the road from us.

Not seen a President take this route before, but then again we've never ever had a POTUS honor the city's Westside with his presence, so it's all rather exciting!

After his training center visit he'll be heading back down to the River to take part in a CNN Town Hall at Mount St Joseph University before heading back to DC at 10pm.

Well chuffed to have President Joe Biden here!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Apparently there is a major bridge nearby that runs between Ohio and Kentucky and is in fairly bad shape. Don't be surprised if he mentions it in support of the infrastructure bill. That is kinda the way politicians do things.

But thanks for reminding me. He's doing a town hall on CNN and I'm missing it. Bye!

U

User.191

I thought it went well. Sure he stumbled a few times, and yes he took a long time sometimes to make a short point - but he is 78 years old and I’m not aware of many 78 year old folk who have the same verbal dexterity of a 30 year old.

That said, I thought he made some very gooid points; to wit - you can’t heal the country without bringing the Republicans along, the Delta variant is oh so avoidable if only people would take the bloody vaccine, yes there is short term inflation and there’s some really good reasons behind it, and no he’s not anti-cop - he’s anti-bad cop.

All in all I was very happy with his performance you you could tell that once he settled in he got the rythm. I was also happy to see a number of Republican’s got to ask questions as well.

Overall I’m very happy our first visit to to Westside of Cincinnati went so well and it painted a much better picture that the following loony of my aquaintence did several years ago:

The aforesaid unhinged Republican is one half of the Kuel\Gweyn freakshow: Mary Kuhl and Melva Gweyn (Melva’s the one in the video) used to run our local Community council for a while and ran it with the worst sort of authoritatian control. The only reason they’re no longer in power is when we finally forced in term limits to the council and they both ended up having to leave years later.

So to go from those two wackadoodles in the past to where we are today has been a very pleasent change, and one I’ve experienced firsthand living here. When we first joined our local Westwood support group we were known by the guy who ran it as his ‘token gays’. Now, 10 years later we’re just one of over a dozen he works with. The whole neighborhood has transformed from a strong right wing Catholic white to a much more pleasent ethnically diverse liberal yet still Catholic area - so it’s no wonder Joe Biden fitted in so well.

U

User.191

Apparently one of the individuals who asked a question yesterday is miffed that "Biden didn't answer my question": the question being "What is the government going to do to help my restaurant group survive because I can't find staff to hire".

Biden told him "offer $15 an hour" as a starter which he's now whining about saying he does do that (usually) - WHEN you factor tips in AS WELL.

I get the industry's hurting, but what's with the Republicans all whining about this? This is basic economics - business have always operated on the principal of Supply and Demand. When Demand is high and Supply Low, costs go up.

Business have used that as a means to raise prices - but now they're finding that this is a new form of the EXACT SAME rule - this time the Demand for staffing is high, and the supply of people at the prices they're willing to pay is low.

So, raise your prices (if you can). If you can't then just what the fuck do these people expect the government to do here?

Naturally the GOP hates personal Welfare but LOVE Corporate Welfare. If people can't get enough money coming in then screw them - that's their fault. If businesses can't get enough money coming in then they want to government to help out with more handouts.

I might add, BTW, this particular group apparently got $7.8M in Pandemic funcing over the last year...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Apparently one of the individuals who asked a question yesterday is miffed that "Biden didn't answer my question": the question being "What is the government going to do to help my restaurant group survive because I can't find staff to hire".

Biden told him "offer $15 an hour" as a starter which he's now whining about saying he does do that (usually) - WHEN you factor tips in AS WELL.

I get the industry's hurting, but what's with the Republicans all whining about this? This is basic economics - business have always operated on the principal of Supply and Demand. When Demand is high and Supply Low, costs go up.

Business have used that as a means to raise prices - but now they're finding that this is a new form of the EXACT SAME rule - this time the Demand for staffing is high, and the supply of people at the prices they're willing to pay is low.

So, raise your prices (if you can). If you can't then just what the fuck do these people expect the government to do here?

Naturally the GOP hates personal Welfare but LOVE Corporate Welfare. If people can't get enough money coming in then screw them - that's their fault. If businesses can't get enough money coming in then they want to government to help out with more handouts.

I might add, BTW, this particular group apparently got $7.8M in Pandemic funcing over the last year...
Waaaah.. my workers want me to pay them!

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We have been traveling the past couple weeks. Places to stay are brutally expensive – like two to three times what they were 2 years ago.

But the thing that pisses me off is "this room is $180 a night", but you get the bill and it works out to $208 because of all the fees, taxes and surcharges. (This bears in the tipping thing.) I grew up in Oregon, where, you go to buy a pencil, it says 39cents, you give the cashier 39cents, you have a pencil (because there is no sales tax). We bought some cannabis at one our preferred shops (in WA), they posted prices on the product, that was what we paid (even though WA does have sales tax).

I am just damn sick if this fleecy ethos. We need to force businesses to post/cite complete prices, with no "oh, and plus this much more".

/rant

U

User.191

We have been traveling the past couple weeks. Places to stay are brutally expensive – like two to three times what they were 2 years ago.

But the thing that pisses me off is "this room is $180 a night", but you get the bill and it works out to $208 because of all the fees, taxes and surcharges. (This bears in the tipping thing.) I grew up in Oregon, where, you go to buy a pencil, it says 39cents, you give the cashier 39cents, you have a pencil (because there is no sales tax). We bought some cannabis at one our preferred shops (in WA), they posted prices on the product, that was what we paid (even though WA does have sales tax).

I am just damn sick if this fleecy ethos. We need to force businesses to post/cite complete prices, with no "oh, and plus this much more".

/rant
I miss living in the UK where prices include VAT. When you see something listed for £29.99 you know that’s exactly how much you need to pay.

Living over here it still gets me when I see something for $4.99 and I can’t just hand over a $5.00 note and be done with it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
still gets me when I see something for $4.99 and I can’t just hand over a $5.00 note and be done with it.
The $x.99 fetish instead of rounding up to the next dollar has come in handy for Apple though. They recently pitched me a notification that my individual subscriptions to Apple options were "costing more money than a subscription to Apple One for equivalent features."

So Music is 9.99 a month, TV 4.99. The equivalent Apple One basic tier which would bump up cloud storage to a figure I don't need is 14.95 and my individual subs add up to 14.98, so of course they're technically right and I am overpaying by 3 cents per month. Big whoop. I'm hanging on to my subs the way they are, so I can switch out of either one at will if I want to do that sometime.

Top Bottom
1 2