Biden's weekly Approval Polls

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I was trying to say that I don’t see why changing to a parliament would suddenly end the 2-party system. Our current system can run (and probably should run) as something other than a 2-party system.

Given that our two parties are basically 4 or 5 mashed together into an uncomfortable duopoly, it'd give them all a little extra room to breath, not having to hitch on to one of the big two in order to win an election.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I say again, large fraction of Biden's disapproval comes from the left. He is trying to appease the "middle", which is not a winning strategy, and even the people in the middle find him disappointing because he seems to lack the courage to take a strong position. He is a cipher. He will be seen by history as being in the lower ranks of WH residents, though still not nearly as low as Individual-ONE.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I say again, large fraction of Biden's disapproval comes from the left. He is trying to appease the "middle", which is not a winning strategy, and even the people in the middle find him disappointing because he seems to lack the courage to take a strong position. He is a cipher. He will be seen by history as being in the lower ranks of WH residents, though still not nearly as low as Individual-ONE.

A lot of Trump supporters say they like him because he fights. Doesn't really matter if what he is fighting for is right or insane. It's just that he fights. Democrats on the other hand seem to want to please everybody and then ultimately end up pleasing nobody because they watered down everybody's wishlist item to a skeletal husk.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yep, unlike Republicans, Dems question their president when appropriate and if they take a hit in the polls then so be it. Look at all the shit Trump did and his supporters never wavered in the least, total blind loyalty and nothing but contempt towards anyone who didn't toe the line without question.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Democrats on the other hand seem to want to please everybody and then ultimately end up pleasing nobody because they watered down everybody's wishlist item to a skeletal husk.
The used to be the entrée course of politics. You knew a bill was good because nobody was satisfied with the result. That is why we celebrate America by putting a big turkey on the table.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

That's just an opinion piece, and I would say this about any President, but did "Biden" really do all that? I know this matters very little in the court of public opinion who I think tend to blame or thank the President for way too much. How much of that is just the result of passing the peak of Covid? It seems to me Biden being in office didn't reduce the number of anti-vaxers or change the policies and propaganda of state governments in either direction. All state governments pretty much did what you'd expect them to do.

You want to blame Trump for normalizing racism, hatred, and extreme divisiveness? Fine, I will give you that, but to thank him for fast tracking the vaccine development is to assume no other President would have done the same. They would have. The "great resignation" has absolutely nothing to do with who is running the government. Nobody in government created the working conditions that allowed people to go "fuck this job!" and it's absurd to give the government credit for that.

I'm not saying government has zero impact on our day to day lives, but we need to stop giving credit or blame for everything big and small to the President.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I'm not saying government has zero impact on our day to day lives, but we need to stop giving credit or blame for everything big and small to the President.

It seems one of the primary roles of the presidency is serving as America's collective hate sponge. With all the hype during the elections, all the promises made, the heated debates, the pomp and circumstance of office, yeah, the presidency draws a lot of attention, good and ill.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

That's just an opinion piece, and I would say this about any President, but did "Biden" really do all that? I know this matters very little in the court of public opinion who I think tend to blame or thank the President for way too much. How much of that is just the result of passing the peak of Covid? It seems to me Biden being in office didn't reduce the number of anti-vaxers or change the policies and propaganda of state governments in either direction. All state governments pretty much did what you'd expect them to do.

You want to blame Trump for normalizing racism, hatred, and extreme divisiveness? Fine, I will give you that, but to thank him for fast tracking the vaccine development is to assume no other President would have done the same. They would have. The "great resignation" has absolutely nothing to do with who is running the government. Nobody in government created the working conditions that allowed people to go "fuck this job!" and it's absurd to give the government credit for that.

The propaganda war against vaccines and masks was already won before Biden took office. Trump and his enablers got to everybody who knows little about science and distrusts ”elites.”

Renzatic

Reaction score
Just got a call from "The Resistance" to take a survey. They asked me if I support or opposed defunding the police, teaching CRT in schools, and whether Biden's inflation has hurt me in any way.

I answered slightly opposed to the first. The second, I said I support. The third, I answered "a little bit, not too badly." Given the way the lady stuttered after I answered the 2nd question, I'm probably marked as an enemy of the state once the resistance takes America back.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think this piece by Colby King really sums it up. Democratic infighting will give Republicans control of Congress in 2022. It needs to stop now; Democrats need to work together and get stuff done.

First, close the progressive-centrist divide. Those differences hardly outweigh the fallout that would result from right-wing victories next year.
The unifying Democratic focus should be beating Republicans — in Senate and House races.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think this piece by Colby King really sums it up. Democratic infighting will give Republicans control of Congress in 2022. It needs to stop now; Democrats need to work together and get stuff done.

Good article.

But I think part of the Dems problems is the Progressives in Congress don't care about the party as much as they do about pushing their own agenda.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Good article.

But I think part of the Dems problems is the Progressives in Congress don't care about the party as much as they do about pushing their own agenda.
The progressives in the House actually did compromise to pass the infrastructure bill despite a deal that was supposed to guarantee the passage of “build back better." You seem to a) dislike progressives and b) have a blind spot for Joe Manchin. Manchin and Sinema are the 2 biggest roadblocks. All the other Democrats have made concessions even when they clearly didn’t want to. Manchin already got the “build back better” chopped in half and he STILL is not happy with it. That’s what is killing the Democrats right now. It cannot be Manchin’s way or the highway. He got the bill cut in half. Time to be a team player and get this passed or else watch the Republicans take over everything in a year.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

The problem is US, there are enough of us that however you want to describe it are making terrible choices in leadership. As most of you know, I think we in the United States are fucked regarding Democracy and a liberal agenda.

The Thump movement has oh so clearly displayed that Despicable is in control. We actually elected a corrupt, mentally ill, piece of shit to our top leadership spot. In what greater way could we have damaged ourselves? Was this an attempt at a collective death wish? Definitely a death wish for democracy. The success of this movement is still in play and remains to be seen,

Sure with Biden we got a reprieve of sorts, but lost seats in Congress and while I desperately want to be wrong, I predict 2022 is going to be a disaster. Maybe I should not be so glum, let’s say 2022 will be tea leaves that decides our future. The longer we accept Despicable in charge, the more the rules will be warped in their favor and our Democracy will end up becoming something we just imagined we had. 😖

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The progressives in the House actually did compromise to pass the infrastructure bill despite a deal that was supposed to guarantee the passage of “build back better." You seem to a) dislike progressives and b) have a blind spot for Joe Manchin. Manchin and Sinema are the 2 biggest roadblocks. All the other Democrats have made concessions even when they clearly didn’t want to. Manchin already got the “build back better” chopped in half and he STILL is not happy with it. That’s what is killing the Democrats right now. It cannot be Manchin’s way or the highway. He got the bill cut in half. Time to be a team player and get this passed or else watch the Republicans take over everything in a year.

I used the term Progressives because I know some people think the use of The Squad pejorative, but these 6 Progressives voted NO!

Bowman, AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley & Bush.

Without a few GOP votes, it doesn't pass.

So how are Manchin & Sinema's votes against BBB different than these 6 voting against the infrastructure bill?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I used the term Progressives because I know some people think the use of The Squad pejorative, but these 6 Progressives voted NO!

Bowman, AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley & Bush.

Without a few GOP votes, it doesn't pass.

So how are Manchin & Sinema's votes against BBB different than these 6 voting against the infrastructure bill?
Because REALITY matters. You see this all the time from both sides. It long-established precedent that some will vote NO to make a political point on a bill they know will pass anyway. Perhaps you recall the Tea Party doing this quite often?

Did the infrastructure bill pass? Yes. That is a PRACTICAL difference. On the other hand, Manchin and Sinema have intentionally blocked Biden’s agenda for months. You are further proving what I said here:

You seem to a) dislike progressives and b) have a blind spot for Joe Manchin.

There are 6 progressives in the House who wanted to make a statement. They did so, but the bill still passed. I guarantee you this was discussed with Pelosi. If she hadn’t gotten a handful of GOP votes, she would have delayed the vote or pressured the most progressive members to compromise. You always claim to understand politics and what “average Americans” want, but you’ve got a massive blind spot here because you don’t like these 6 women.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
you’ve got a massive blind spot here because you don’t like these 6 women.

Just FYI, Bowman is a guy.

You are hitting Manchin & Sinema, but voters in their states aren't sold on BBB. So should they do what the party wants or what their voters want? And I'm pretty sure the Daily Kos isn't some RW website.

So their choices are 1)do what the party wants and run the risk of being voted out (which in turn hurts the party) or 2) do what their voters want and risk pissing off people in other states who can't vote for them. Doesn't seem like a hard choice.

As a hypothetical, had those GOP House members not crossed over and voted for the infrastructure bill, would you have the same animosity towards those 6 as you do towards Manchin & Sinema?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
As a hypothetical, had those GOP House members not crossed over and voted for the infrastructure bill, would you have the same animosity towards those 6 as you do towards Manchin & Sinema?
That is a hypothetical, and no answer is possible. When somebody constantly answers by posing hypotheticals, I find it’s because reality dumps cold water on their assertions.

You don’t seem to understand politics. If Biden’s numbers are in the tank, Sinema and Manchin are most likely going to lose too.

But then... the thing is, Manchin and Sinema might not be looking to get re-elected as Democrats.

Manchin is going to become an independent, and Sinema is unlikely to run for another term.

So, they are torpedo-ing their party for their own personal interests.

A MASSIVE thing you missed on the poll above is that before Manchin and Sinema dragged this crap out for months, their states actually DID support the bill.

This “nobody in my state wants Build Back Better” is a self-fulfilling prophecy. By blocking Biden’s agenda, Manchin and Sinema have hurt the party and its agenda quite badly. They could have passed it when support for the bill was high, but they wanted their moments in the sun. And that is why we have a “With Friends Like These” thread. They are enemies of the Democratic Party, and the best thing the GOP has going for it at the moment. Period.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You don’t seem to understand politics. If Biden’s numbers are in the tank, Sinema and Manchin are most likely going to lose too.
Or they will be easily reelected because the didn't support his agenda.

I look forward to voting for Sinema if she runs in 2024.

A MASSIVE thing you missed on the poll above is that before Manchin and Sinema dragged this crap out for months, their states actually DID support the bill.

Perhaps you could find a source that doesn't say.....

Data for Progress is the think tank for the future of progressivism.

on the front page of their website.

According to 538, they are +3.3 left leaning. Where even Rassmussen and Trafalgar are less than 1.5 right leaning. So I won't trust their numbers anymore than you would trust Rassmussen or Trafalgar.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Or they will be easily reelected because the didn't support his agenda.

I look forward to voting for Sinema if she runs in 2024.

Perhaps you could find a source that doesn't say.....

Data for Progress is the think tank for the future of progressivism.

on the front page of their website.

According to 538, they are +3.3 left leaning. Where even Rassmussen and Trafalgar are less than 1.5 right leaning. So I won't trust their numbers anymore than you would trust Rassmussen or Trafalgar.

Find another poll from August or earlier then. Or just add 3.3% to the numbers... and they still are quite in favor of support for the bill.

Your insistence that Biden’s popularity won’t hurt Sinema or Manchin is absurd. Decades of voting history show that to be false. And the fact that Republicans want to vote for Sinema reinforces what polls tell us: she has lost a massive amount of support in her party.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not specifically Biden, but this poll by the WSJ should scare some Dems.

Here is a tip, stop calling them Latinx. They don't like it.

Note on the poll. I am sure some of you saw WSJ and immediately thought "conservative". But the WSJ has hired 2 new pollsters to conduct their polls, Biden's 2020 pollster and Trump's 2016 & 2020 pollster. So they are trying to be unbiased in both their questions and weighting.

Top Bottom
1 2