Biden's weekly Approval Polls

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Gas prices affect everyone. Even Biden voters. So if they think he let it happen, or was the cause, it will affect his popularity.
Bullshit! When the price of gas goes down they'll look elsewhere for the good news. Biden can do no good and will get no credit. They'll point to all the Dem that said he didn't cause the price hikes, so therefore... Never mind that they (Republicans) said he was solely responsible for the hikes.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
… Biden can do no good and will get no credit. …
I was talking to my brother, who lives in the heart of red-state-land, last night, and he told me that Individual-ONE did do a good thing. I asked him what that was, and he said, uh, that he would give it some careful thought, but he was absolutely certain that he could come up with a good thing that CFEFWSG had done, to counter my assertion that he had not done any good thing.

I am waiting.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Gas prices affect everyone. Even Biden voters. So if they think he let it happen, or was the cause, it will affect his popularity.

It's past time for people to just get over gas prices in the USA. They managed to do it in Europe a long time ago, mostly by noting that "comment is free" so go ahead and complain. but either shell out for the gas or take the shoe-leather express.

Gas should have been taxed here at a higher rate now for DECADES and the money put into helping finance higher rates of renewable energy development, generation, storage, transmission and usage. And don't get me started on how pathetic our public transportation has been and still is. We have the Republicans to thank for this, and it's on the record in vote after vote, session after session.

Our love affair with cars has been not a disaster, but a distinctly mixed blessing. Our system of bean counting guarantees companies will wring the last profit dollar out of anything that "works" until it doesn't work any more or the downside of relying on whatever it is becomes intolerable.

Our "just-in-time" mentality has already been shown to have its downsides during the covid pandemic, but maintaining that attitude during ongoing and now critical climate change will likely kill us. And why? Because for once we will have run into something where a fix in the nick of time -- you know, by the end of the quarter, preferably via making an acquisition of some other company's ability to, uh... fix climate change?!?!-- will not even f'g be possible.

And yet.... market forces are actually already reducing demand for petroleum products. It's the politicians who are still standing in the way of harnessing worker readiness to shift gears to renewable energy jobs. Interesting piece in Grist about that effect in Louisiana already.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's past time for people to just get over gas prices in the USA. They managed to do it in Europe a long time ago, mostly by noting that "comment is free" so go ahead and complain. but either shell out for the gas or take the shoe-leather express.

Gas should have been taxed here at a higher rate now for DECADES and the money put into helping finance higher rates of renewable energy development, generation, storage, transmission and usage. And don't get me started on how pathetic our public transportation has been and still is. We have the Republicans to thank for this, and it's on the record in vote after vote, session after session.

Our love affair with cars has been not a disaster, but a distinctly mixed blessing. Our system of bean counting guarantees companies will wring the last profit dollar out of anything that "works" until it doesn't work any more or the downside of relying on whatever it is becomes intolerable.

Our "just-in-time" mentality has already been shown to have its downsides during the covid pandemic, but maintaining that attitude during ongoing and now critical climate change will likely kill us. And why? Because for once we will have run into something where a fix in the nick of time -- you know, by the end of the quarter, preferably via making an acquisition of some other company's ability to, uh... fix climate change?!?!-- will not even f'g be possible.

And yet.... market forces are actually already reducing demand for petroleum products. It's the politicians who are still standing in the way of harnessing worker readiness to shift gears to renewable energy jobs. Interesting piece in Grist about that effect in Louisiana already.

There was a time in this country when industry would have jumped on innovating and profiting on something like renewable energy, but now it's all about protecting the profits of legacy industries while trying to convince everybody change is bad or impossible. Along side that is preaching that "real" Americans are frozen in some space and time in the past. Despite all the tech innovations that have come out of the US in the last half century, somehow those people don't qualify as real Americans. Real Americans have to be rural and have a job that has existed for at least 100 years.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I wonder if the “just-in-time” mentality plays a part in the refusal of many to get vaccinated. I saw an interview with a doctor today who said when people get really sick with COVID, they all say they wish they had gotten the vaccine, and ask for it at that time, but are told it’s too late.

I’ve seen some criticisms of Biden for not immediately having hundreds of millions of tests available when Omicron hit. Perhaps he thought they could ramp up faster, expecting to be able to solve it more quickly. Perhaps they ramped up as fast as possible to the surprise of Omicron, and people once again expected the “just-in-time” solution to the problem. Either way, somebody expected an instant or near-instant solution, and let’s face it: such things are quite uncommon.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There was a time in this country when industry would have jumped on innovating and profiting on something like renewable energy, but now it's all about protecting the profits of legacy industries while trying to convince everybody change is bad or impossible. Along side that is preaching that "real" Americans are frozen in some space and time in the past. Despite all the tech innovations that have come out of the US in the last half century, somehow those people don't qualify as real Americans. Real Americans have to be rural and have a job that has existed for at least 100 years.
The saddest part about it is that if we were first in aggressively pursuing solar production, we’d be the industry leaders, and would have created way more jobs than are being lost in the coal sector, for example. Instead, China is the big winner on solar panel production.

Corporations in America are fine with that since they figure it will be cheaper coming from China anyway. As for the people, it’s a loss for us. Too bad it’s not something both political parties here could agree on.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The saddest part about it is that if we were first in aggressively pursuing solar production, we’d be the industry leaders, and would have created way more jobs than are being lost in the coal sector, for example. Instead, China is the big winner on solar panel production.

Corporations in America are fine with that since they figure it will be cheaper coming from China anyway. As for the people, it’s a loss for us. Too bad it’s not something both political parties here could agree on.
There was a "scandal" about the time the kenyan muslim funneled money into an American company that had designed a different kind of solar panel (PV cells wrapped around tubes, presumably to be less sensitive to sun angle). The company went TU because they could not compete with Chinese prices.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There was a "scandal" about the time the kenyan muslim funneled money into an American company that had designed a different kind of solar panel (PV cells wrapped around tubes, presumably to be less sensitive to sun angle). The company went TU because they could not compete with Chinese prices.
Yep, I recall that scandal; I guess the right used it as an excuse to deny any funding for renewable energy. And yet things like the Exxon Valdez and the Deepwater Horizon environmental disasters are met with a shrug by the same folks.

As long as we have a political party in this country absolutely opposed to renewable energy, we cannot compete with countries that have fully embraced it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I drove by Solyndra every day to and from work. I remember Obama's visit from 3 high-speed marine helicopters flying over my work at low altitude. When the investigation happened I learned that the FBI really does caravan around in black SUVs with tinted windows while dressed in well-tailored black suits. Prior to that I thought that was just a movie thing.

I also find it interesting that under Obama the right had pretty much nothing to say about getting undercut by China. It was all about being a waste of government spending that Obama authorized. Soon as Trump gets into office suddenly the right is going ape shit about getting screwed by China.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'm sure I posted this somewhere before, but....

Not saying people aren’t struggling, but I listened to a podcast that went over the use of “the economy” and how it’s basically a horse shit term used to let you know how the rich are doing but doesn’t really apply to most people. You’ll be told the economy is up or down while the reality is many areas and industries have been on the decline for decades, and “most economists” are just mouth pieces to bolster the establishment as are many college economic classes. You are taught that the economy is a decided science. It is not and that explains why many times the economy preached on the news doesn’t match the reality on the ground (unless you’re rich).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm sure I posted this somewhere before, but....

Not saying people aren’t struggling, but I listened to a podcast that went over the use of “the economy” and how it’s basically a horse shit term used to let you know how the rich are doing but doesn’t really apply to most people. You’ll be told the economy is up or down while the reality is many areas and industries have been on the decline for decades, and “most economists” are just mouth pieces to bolster the establishment as are many college economic classes. You are taught that the economy is a decided science. It is not and that explains why many times the economy preached on the news doesn’t match the reality on the ground (unless you’re rich).
I saw in the results that 46% of people thought the stock market was doing poorly. Um, what? Polls show us more about the people taking them than about the candidates.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw in the results that 46% of people thought the stock market was doing poorly. Um, what? Polls show us more about the people taking them than about the candidates.

My favorite news headline of stock market fan fiction written a couple weeks ago was “Market Recovers From Omicron Concerns”. WTF are they talking about? Nothing substantial happened with omnicrom in the last couple weeks to recover from, and in fact, if the market was in any way tethered to reality it would be doing worse due to omicron, not “recovered” from it several weeks ago.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I get sick of polling and pollsters and people who predicate their next tweet (or legislative move) on some public or private poll they just laid eyes on. A poll is a snapshot in time and really we have no clue about the people who have responded to them past the actual answers to the particular questions.

The criticism of polls tends to be about the sample size or the non-random aspect of the polling or the slant or focus of the questions, but we don't see a lot of discussion about the humanity of the people taking the poll. I mean maybe someone had a fabulous day and got a raise in pay at work, or maybe they got fired, or maybe they quit, or maybe they were stuck in a car on I-95 with a cellphone that still worked when the pollster called...

,.. and yeah, what is "the economy" anyway? The supply chain that didn't bring your niece that doll on time, or the sleeper stock you bought bc some guy on the train correctly said to a buddy that it was about to take off, or the fact that your car needs a new alternator and you haven't got even gas money to get to a junkyard..,

But Biden is surely aware that he owns and is owned by "how things are" for the whole time he's in office. And like Bush 43, who did not invent hurricanes but understood that he owned and was owned by Hurricane Katrina, Biden does get it that it doesn't matter if "how things are" happen to lie beyond human intervention.

It would be nice though if people made more of a distinction along those lines.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I get sick of polling and pollsters and people who predicate their next tweet (or legislative move) on some public or private poll they just laid eyes on. A poll is a snapshot in time and really we have no clue about the people who have responded to them past the actual answers to the particular questions.

The criticism of polls tends to be about the sample size or the non-random aspect of the polling or the slant or focus of the questions, but we don't see a lot of discussion about the humanity of the people taking the poll. I mean maybe someone had a fabulous day and got a raise in pay at work, or maybe they got fired, or maybe they quit, or maybe they were stuck in a car on I-95 with a cellphone that still worked when the pollster called...

,.. and yeah, what is "the economy" anyway? The supply chain that didn't bring your niece that doll on time, or the sleeper stock you bought bc some guy on the train correctly said to a buddy that it was about to take off, or the fact that your car needs a new alternator and you haven't got even gas money to get to a junkyard..,

But Biden is surely aware that he owns and is owned by "how things are" for the whole time he's in office. And like Bush 43, who did not invent hurricanes but understood that he owned and was owned by Hurricane Katrina, Biden does get it that it doesn't matter if "how things are" happen to lie beyond human intervention.

It would be nice though if people made more of a distinction along those lines.
I think polls are useful to tell us how people are feeling as a group. But it also tells us how uninformed about certain things a large percentage of the population is too.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

So does this mean you aren't going to post anymore polls about how popular BBB is in WV in the Manchin thread? ;)

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Where did I say that we shouldn’t post polls? You can learn a lot from them if you read them carefully…

Right. Polls are limited and there's a big difference in quality between the polling organizations, which runs from "complete horse-shit" methodologies to pretty good.

From Gallup, Biden is losing ground in a fairly predictable slide from the first 100 days to his second year, but he's running roughly six points above Trump during the same period in his term.

In comparison, Obama was at roughly 50 percent approval. (Gallup's sampling doesn't match day-to-day, so there's some approximations here.)

So, good news, he's above the previous guy, but his team should consider that they're already underwater on approval ratings and running 6 points below Obama. They need to ensure that independents understand what the Biden administration has achieved, and how the Republican party is holding up progress.

From 538's estimations, Biden is running 4.5 percent above his predecessor. Again, that sucks, but it's marked to note that the Flaming Cheeseball couldn't even sustain a 45 percent approval and was underwater his entire term.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.23.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.23.39 PM.png
    91 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom
1 2