General Bidet Discussion - the good, the bad and the ugly

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, okay I got questions. Does that panel flip out or do you have to reach behind you to hit the buttons? Also, is is just an attachment (seat) or is the entire toilet? Also, does it blow dry?
Flip out pfffft. It's magnetized so I can take the whole thing off the wall and pretend I'm in a rocket console as I sit on the throne. But it's mounted very conveniently so I normally just reach to my right and double tap. Basically, it's just the seat and yes it does gently blow dry.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Flip out pfffft. It's magnetized so I can take the whole thing off the wall and pretend I'm in a rocket console as I sit on the throne. But it's mounted very conveniently so I normally just reach to my right and double tap. Basically, it's just the seat and yes it does gently blow dry.
Really? Wow, can I get the model name?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
While I like the idea of a bidet -- not sure that there is really a good way to install one in either of my two condominium bathrooms here -- I definitely would continue to use toilet paper as a finishing touch, a gentle wipe, and toss it away...... the idea of reusing some sort of fabric cloths or something and simply washing them in an ordinary washing machine, not thoroughly cleaning them in some device which could actually sterilize them, is totally unappealing to me....... Surely there are better ways to save money if finances are an issue?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I like the idea of a bidet -- not sure that there is really a good way to install one in either of my two condominium bathrooms here -- I definitely would continue to use toilet paper as a finishing touch, a gentle wipe, and toss it away...... the idea of reusing some sort of fabric cloths or something and simply washing them in an ordinary washing machine, not thoroughly cleaning them in some device which could actually sterilize them, is totally unappealing to me....... Surely there are better ways to save money if finances are an issue?
That was my feeling after reading that. I realize it’s what we do with infants, but that’s just a single cloth at a time and it gets washed immediately.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
your only wiping water off your behind so its not like there are brown streaks. but you can clean diapers just fine in a washing machine.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
That was my feeling after reading that. I realize it’s what we do with infants, but that’s just a single cloth at a time and it gets washed immediately.
I've never had children and so never had to deal with diapers and such, but didn't (or don't) some families still use a diaper service, where they send the soiled items out and in turn receive a clean, (probably not just washed, but also sterilized?) batch of fresh diapers in return? Of course many families these days also simply go with the disposable diapers -- use one, toss it, pick up a fresh clean one from the package, put it on the kid and move on.....

Also, using a diaper on an infant and dealing with it afterward is an entirely different scenario than dealing with cloths used by more than one individual in a household.....

I think there is a reason that so-called "adult diapers" are not provided in cloth form at all but only in disposable form, meant to be tossed after one-time use by the adult who needs them.....

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never had children and so never had to deal with diapers and such, but didn't (or don't) some families still use a diaper service, where the send the soiled items out and in turn receive a clean, (probably not just washed, but also sterilized?) batch of fresh diapers in return? Of course many families these days also simply go with the disposable diapers -- use one, toss it, pick up a fresh clean one from the package, put it on the kid and move on.....
because it's just easier. we used one but my wife is blind so it saved her a lot of effort.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never had children and so never had to deal with diapers and such, but didn't (or don't) some families still use a diaper service, where the send the soiled items out and in turn receive a clean, (probably not just washed, but also sterilized?) batch of fresh diapers in return? Of course many families these days also simply go with the disposable diapers -- use one, toss it, pick up a fresh clean one from the package, put it on the kid and move on.....
But that’s diapers. I’m talking about the little cloths we use to clean baby’s bottoms. Regardless of what they are soiled with, I don’t want to just collect them in a bin.

As to using them only to pat dry, you’re not saving any toilet paper that way.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
because it's just easier. we used one but my wife is blind so it saved her a lot of effort.

Sorry, buddy, but to me there is nothing easier and more sanitary than simply using some toilet paper, doing what is necessary with it and then flushing it all away.....

What's easier about doing an extra load of laundry that is a bunch of cloths which were used for wiping purposes in the bathroom? (I would HOPE that you at least wash those separately?!!). Just pull some TP off the roll, use it, flush it.....all done! Probably cheaper, too, to buy a roll of toilet paper or a pack of them, than it is to use the hot water and the electricity to wash the soiled cloths in the washer and dryer, too....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
But that’s diapers. I’m talking about the little cloths we use to clean baby’s bottoms. Regardless of what they are soiled with, I don’t want to just collect them in a bin.

Oops, missed this earlier! I don't know that much about what the current method is when it comes to wiping a baby's bottom, but yeah, you're right that this is different than diapers, but still, the idea would remain the same that whatever is used on the child should be clean and sanitary and not reused for any purpose after that, but simply disposed of promptly. Again, disposable, sanitary and sterile would be the key words here..... And in my opinion the same applies even more so to adults.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

This is how I see it too now that I've had a chance to use one for a while. I have dedicated cloths and it's washed so clean that it's not an issue, I also have a dedicated bin for laundry. I would also argue that a simple low pressure water cleansing is far more gentle than wiping.

IMO, we shower the rest our bodies when we feel dirty, why would that area be any different? It's literally the only place we ever wipe and it's by far the dirtiest.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, buddy, but to me there is nothing easier and more sanitary than simply using some toilet paper, doing what is necessary with it and then flushing it all away.....

What's easier about doing an extra load of laundry that is a bunch of cloths which were used for wiping purposes in the bathroom? (I would HOPE that you at least wash those separately?!!). Just pull some TP off the roll, use it, flush it.....all done! Probably cheaper, too, to buy a roll of toilet paper or a pack of them, than it is to use the hot water and the electricity to wash the soiled cloths in the washer and dryer, too....
can you clean peanut butter off a shag rug? ya thats what we are talking about here. water gets your bum clean then you just try it with paper or a towel. you could use the towel several times since it is just water.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I hope some time I have the opportunity to try out a bidet, as I'll bet I'd really love it! Years and years ago when my husband and I went to France on our honeymoon I did have the opportunity then, but unfortunately I didn't really get to appreciate it too much since I was also dealing with "Montezuma's Revenge" and at some points was ah.....releasing material from both ends! By the time my system had settled down and I did get to actually enjoy our trip it was nearly time to leave and so I didn't get to really reap the benefits of that bidet......

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Two thoughts occur:

When my eye alighted on this thread, initially, I thought it read: "Biden Discussion - the good, the bad and the ugly"..

..and thus, blinking and briefly bewildered, I thought that I had wandered by mistake into the wrong forum, not just the wrong thread.

Okay: In recent years (pre-Covid), I have had occasion to stay (work related) in some seriously good hotels, hotels with intimidatingly over-engineered stuff passed off as service.

The kind of hotels that had airconditioning - I just want a nice, warm, repeat warm, room - that required an advanced degree in some obscure branch of science to understand the remote device which controlled them, let alone get them to work, and showers with impossibly complicated controls.

An aside: Hint to the guys, dudes, gentlemen who usually design such things: When you are standing there naked, wearing nothing but your glasses, especially when you are a woman standing there naked, wearing nothing but your glasses, - you want a shower where you can easily and effortlessly work - and work out everything about - the "On/Off" and "Hot (preferably very hot)/Cold" switches. Anything else - and everything else (other than an exceptionally generous shower head) - is Overkill.

And once, in Russia, in Moscow, at the end of an election observation mission that had lasted a few months, for our final debriefing sessions, - immediately prior to our departure - which lasted a few days, - for some strange inexplicable reason we were booked into a five star hotel; the sort of place that had a show room full of Bentleys, another with Patek Phillippe watches, yet another with Fabergé eggs, - all staffed by lissom ladies and stocky hulking gentlemen in tuxedos which bulged strangely.

Anyway, the bedrooms were magnificent, but I do recall the bathroom - again, magnificent - and the ominous and over-engineered toilet cum bidet, which was frankly such an advanced model that I failed to understand it entirely, and, frustrated, proceeded to query a colleague, by text, whether it was even possible to use - or avail of - the damned thing. After some consideration, (and I daresay, empirical experimentation and observation), he texted me reassuringly, stating that he had happily discovered that "it works the normal way."

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2