Big Hairy Rats in the Attic

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have occasional mice. Over the years we’ve tried the jaw type trap like the OP posted, but the little suckers somehow get the peanut butter without triggering it. We’ve tried the old-fashioned snap traps; same story. Essentially, every type of gadget trap we used, the mice have outsmarted on a number of occasions.

The only thing I found that really works is glue traps with peanut butter as bait. Of course you still end up finding live mice stuck to the traps. It sounds cruel, but rather than leave the mouse to die like that over a period of days, I put the thing out of its misery.

Of course, the best mouse trap is a cat. But not everyone wants one in the house. And I have no idea how good cats are at catching large rats.
The jaw trap I have where the peanut butter goes, there is rim around it and the trigger plate above also has a small hole, so there is virtually no way to get a tongue on peanut butter without triggering. Now the heat has arrived, the attic is about 120F so I imagine it’s not an ideal place for rodents. Only caught one, and since have been considering a wifi notify trap, but I’m hesitant to spend $50 on one.

I also wonder how the critters get in. I see no holes, and they would have to scale a brick wall on the outside to get up, unless there is a path that is not obvious like a tunnel through the foundation and up through the walls. :unsure:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The jaw trap I have where the peanut butter goes, there is rim around it and the trigger plate above also has a small hole, so there is virtually no way to get a tongue on peanut butter without triggering. Now the heat has arrived, the attic is about 120F so I imagine it’s not an ideal place for rodents. Only caught one, and since have been considering a wifi notify trap, but I’m hesitant to spend $50 on one.

I also wonder how the critters get in. I see no holes, and they would have to scale a brick wall on the outside to get up, unless there is a path that is not obvious like a tunnel through the foundation and up through the walls. :unsure:

They don't need much of a entryway.... they lack collarbones so can get in through amazingly small gaps, only about 1/4" for a mouse. Depressing.

Top Bottom
1 2