Bill Barr makes his case for political interference in investigations

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
We’ve said they’re pretty naked lately in their contempt for the law. Here it is again.

Barr blasts his own DOJ prosecutors, equates them to preschoolers and 'headhunters'

In scathing remarks against his own staff, Attorney General William Barr said Wednesday that the Justice Department has recently acted "more like a trade association for federal prosecutors than the administrator of a fair system of justice" and equated some prosecutors to preschoolers and "headhunters."
Too much deference is given to career prosecutors, rather than to politically appointed leaders who can be held accountable at the ballot box, he said in remarks likely to further strain relations between Barr and some of the Justice Department's career prosecutors.
..."The notion that line prosecutors should make the final decisions within the Department of Justice is completely wrong, and it is antithetical to the basic values underlying our system," Barr said. Prosecutors too often become "headhunters, consumed with taking down their targets," he said.
"In case after case, we have advanced and defended hyperaggressive extensions of the criminal law. This is wrong, and we must stop doing it," he said in a speech at Hillsdale College’s annual Constitution Day Celebration, which this year was held at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City in Arlington, VA.
Barr said he is annoyed by the claim that political officials interfere in criminal prosecutions, given that all prosecutorial power is vested by law in the attorney general.
Some career attorneys are not partisan, he said, but they are often less experienced than their supervisors.
"Name one successful organization where the lowest-level employees' decisions are deemed sacrosanct," he said. "There aren't any. Letting the most junior members set the agenda might be a good philosophy for a Montessori preschool, but it's no way to run a federal agency."
Barr did not mention Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation in his prepared remarks. During the speech, however, he noted that the Trump administration has sometimes been described as lawless even though, he said, it had a better record of wins in the Supreme Court than the Obama administration.
A lot to unpack there, particularly Barr’s tired old comparison of government to a business. Even if we allow that argument...what business gets anywhere when the supervisors constantly undercut employees who are following good procedure? Is a store’s loss prevention officer wrong for nabbing a shoplifter if the manager comes over and tells him to let the shoplifter go (because he’s the manager’s friend)?

I think we all agree that there are overzealous prosecutors, but that’s not the problem with this administration. This administration’s problem is overzealous lawbreakers...and their apologists.

U

User.45

Frankly, if we’re going after Barr, I’d rather he be damned for his stating national lockdowns are the ultimate slavery.
Barr is one of the most cynical politicians(!) I've ever seen.
He's 70 and in a bad bad physical shape, so I don't expect to see him sticking around too long.
Maybe he knows this and just wants a part in history books, though those will be very very unflattering.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Barr is one of the most cynical politicians(!) I've ever seen.
He's 70 and in a bad bad physical shape, so I don't expect to see him sticking around too long.
Maybe he knows this and just wants a part in history books, though those will be very very unflattering.

That’s putting it mildly. History will not treat him kindly. Perhaps even less so than it will treat Trump.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We’ve said they’re pretty naked lately in their contempt for the law. Here it is again.
"… Prosecutors too often become "headhunters, consumed with taking down their targets," he said. "In case after case, we have advanced and defended hyperaggressive extensions of the criminal law. This is wrong, and we must stop doing it," he said …

Being entirely consistent, fuBarr asks his minions to look into figuring out how to charge the mayor of Seattle and the governor of Washington with something, because, reasons.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Frankly, if we’re going after Barr, I’d rather he be damned for his stating national lockdowns are the ultimate slavery.

Let's face it the guy is such a disgrace he's basically a tree full of nothing BUT low hanging fruit. I have never before heard such pathetic end runs around the Constitution come out of the mouth of a US Attorney General in my life. He's shameless and it's shocking because it's not like he graduated from some no-name law school you go to at night while working full time as an accountant or something. His paperwork is from Harvard. Goes to show it's not just West Point screws up sometimes...

U

User.45

Let's face it the guy is such a disgrace he's basically a tree full of nothing BUT low hanging fruit. I have never before heard such pathetic end runs around the Constitution come out of the mouth of a US Attorney General in my life. He's shameless and it's shocking because it's not like he graduated from some no-name law school you go to at night while working full time as an accountant or something. His paperwork is from Harvard. Goes to show it's not just West Point screws up sometimes...
He went to Columbia for BA/MA and George Washington Univ for JD. I have to say I work/worked with a lot of ivy league grads.
Some of them are the smartest people I know, some of them are definitely not:D In my previous institution I used to joke that we get some Harvard people, just usually not the smart ones (some of them pissed me off almost weekly).

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This fat tub of **** is literally doing all the things he's arguing against. I'm not sure what's worse, at least wording things in a way to pretend as if you give a crap about optics, or just dropping the charade and pretty much jumping all-in for the pro-Trump corruption pool.

In what world does a normal citizen who thinks the justice system is supposed to be fair look at Roger Stone and Michael Flynn and not think its crooked? Sadly, too many it seems. Between those white collar creeps and that military psychopath Trump let off the hook, crime pays in this administration.

The only thing the justice department did to Roger Stone was give him a sweet story to sell to the media.

I almost loathe Barr more than Trump, because he knows better. The only thing I can frame any of this in my own head - for my own sanity - is to believe people like Barr and McConnell are deeply ideological, political men who see all ends as justification for the means. So you have to know THEY know their party is headed to hell, and that Trump is a moron. But they're seating the judges they want and pushing their pro-police, pro-white, pro-christian, anti-abortion big government agendas they want.

U

User.45

Think of those crime stories where the Mafia boss doesn’t worry about being caught because the police commissioner and the prosecutor and the judges are “their” guys.

That’s what you’re seeing here. :mad:
It's gonna make fantastic movies to watch in 20 years while sipping our algaeritas in our cubicles while the world burns outside, because it actually forgot to cool down.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yes. It is accurate. The thing missing is the horse.
Other photographs of the protest appeared to show a white horse among the demonstrators.

“Why is there a horse outside of Bill Barr’s house?” Daily Beast editor-at-large Molly Jong-Fast tweeted. “How did the white horse get there and why?” she asked.
“Trump supporters picketed Bill Barr's house in McLean today to demand that he indict Joe Biden,” one user said.

“I have no explanation for the white horse.”
The Department of Justice told Associated Press reporter Mike Balsamo that AG Barr went outside to greet the crowd.

Top Bottom
1 2