Binge worthy TV

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of The Undoing on HBO Max. Probably shouldn't have read one of those "Big twist ending everybody is talking about" headlines first because you can kind of predict what the twist ending might be from the first episode. However, the end of the episode also hints at knowing what the predictable twist ending might be. So maybe that's not it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Finished watching the latest season of The Crown. The series has now advanced into having a look at Margaret Thatcher as well as at the British royals in the time of the heir apparent's young adulthood and marriage. I can sort of understand why Buckingham Palace is already pretty frosted (or burned up, take yer pick) and apparently wants Netflix to append a disclaimer of sorts, i.e. "fiction based on fact". This even before the next season picks up (with a portrayal of Diana's demise still ahead). Be all that as it may, of course I could not stop watching.

Not sure what I think of it really. I won't say much more because there are enough spoilers out there in the press.

However, we in the USA have Donald Trump, so whatever the British royals have come up with in real life, or whatever dialogue and behind-closed-doors antics the director and producers of The Crown suggest all that lot have said or done, there could be nothing more penny-dreadful and soap-opera worthy than a look behind the scenes of a monstrously narcissistic, pouting "fake king" at the helm of the USA. For instance, who could even make up the idea of protestors floating a Trump-baby balloon over London? The real life Queen must have enjoyed that little respite from press attention to her own travails with a dodgy set of children. She probably hopes she'll live long enough to see Hollywood rake "King Donald" over the coals in his turn.​

Still I can see why the palace is not especially pleased by The Crown as it wends its way from the past to however far it dares advance to the present. In fact from the beginning, I had wondered how far they would take it, and apparently the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had second thoughts as well, having announced last January that the series will wrap with a fifth season next year... and not with a sixth as had originally been planned. Probably just as well. I rather dislike drama based on real events when the filmed version practically runs in parallel with the lives of contemporary characters.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched My Octopus Teacher on Netflix. Finally a documentary that answers the question can you get emotional over an octopus? Yes, you can. But also pretty much anything scored with a heavy dose of Cello music will tug at your empathy receptors, even a montage of Trump "So not fair" speeches. Cello, will you use it for good or use it for evil?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I mentioned at the other place that I was in a rut finding something good to stream. Currently trying Outer Banks (Netflix) and am not yet sold on it. I like a wide variety of genre.

Finished watching the latest season of The Crown. The series has now advanced into having a look at Margaret Thatcher as well as at the British royals in the time of the heir apparent's young adulthood and marriage. I can sort of understand why Buckingham Palace is already pretty frosted (or burned up, take yer pick) and apparently wants Netflix to append a disclaimer of sorts, i.e. "fiction based on fact". This even before the next season picks up (with a portrayal of Diana's demise still ahead). Be all that as it may, of course I could not stop watching.

Not sure what I think of it really. I won't say much more because there are enough spoilers out there in the press.

However, we in the USA have Donald Trump, so whatever the British royals have come up with in real life, or whatever dialogue and behind-closed-doors antics the director and producers of The Crown suggest all that lot have said or done, there could be nothing more penny-dreadful and soap-opera worthy than a look behind the scenes of a monstrously narcissistic, pouting "fake king" at the helm of the USA. For instance, who could even make up the idea of protestors floating a Trump-baby balloon over London? The real life Queen must have enjoyed that little respite from press attention to her own travails with a dodgy set of children. She probably hopes she'll live long enough to see Hollywood rake "King Donald" over the coals in his turn.​

Still I can see why the palace is not especially pleased by The Crown as it wends its way from the past to however far it dares advance to the present. In fact from the beginning, I had wondered how far they would take it, and apparently the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had second thoughts as well, having announced last January that the series will wrap with a fifth season next year... and not with a sixth as had originally been planned. Probably just as well. I rather dislike drama based on real events when the filmed version practically runs in parallel with the lives of contemporary characters.
What family wants their dirty laundry aired, especially when they are famous ands have somber positions to uphold? As someone said the show is centered on historical events, but filled mostly with fictitious conversation that lends itself to the facts, including documentation like Princess Di’s “in her own words” which can be seen on Netflix. I can see the hesitancy to move into the post DI era, a little too close to current events.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I started watching HBO's The Flight Attendant, which may or may not be your cup of tea depending on how much you can tolerate Kaley Cuoco running around in an almost constant state of near-hysteria.

For those who don't know, it's one of those stories that starts with a character having hot sex with someone and ends up with that person waking up in the morning to find the other person murdered.

This woman apparently has a lot of one night stands, and while they don't outright point to it, it's obviously a joke that this takes place in Bangkok.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started watching HBO's The Flight Attendant, which may or may not be your cup of tea depending on how much you can tolerate Kaley Cuoco running around in an almost constant state of near-hysteria.

For those who don't know, it's one of those stories that starts with a character having hot sex with someone and ends up with that person waking up in the morning to find the other person murdered.

This woman apparently has a lot of one night stands, and while they don't outright point to it, it's obviously a joke that this takes place in Bangkok.
I think it’s decent two episodes in. I’ve never watched Big Bang so I was unfamiliar with Cuoco as an actor but she’s fantastic in this show.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I don't even know how many subs we have, hahaha, probably paying $500/month :D

Hah, I'm not quite sure what I'm shelling out now eiither.... and don't want to know right now. But when I go looking for places to cut so the land tax will feel like a mosquito bite instead of a hammer, I am pretty sure the streaming services are first up. Meanwhile fun spoiling myself just having options, and I am not cutting myself out of anything until after the winter solstice passes.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm also using YTTV and it's by far the best service I've ever personally used. They recently went up after adding a bunch of other channels and the price is $65.00 a month but to me it's still totally worth it. I typically watch the standard networks (all with locals) and of course cable news, Comedy Central, TBS, etc.

The unlimited DVR is beyond anything I've ever used. For me it's the best of Comcast while saving over $100 a month and the control I have over it gives so much more freedom.

As Eric just said, $65/month. It allows my husband and me to watch our own shows in separate rooms and DVR whatever we want. At the same time, my daughter is on our account so that she can watch New Orleans Saints football in NY. The only thing missing, and it varies by region, is the CW. But somehow, because it’s a regional thing, I can record and watch the CW shows, I just can’t watch them live.

I watch MSNBC way too much. But I also watch shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. It’s wonderful because we don’t lose tv with every storm like we did with either cable or satellite.
If I did not already say it, I’ll do a channel comparison with SlingTV.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If I did not already say it, I’ll do a channel comparison with SlingTV.
CNET has a great little comparison chart, the only notable difference here is that YTTV is now $65 a month.

Greenshot 2020-12-04 06.29.31.png

It really just comes down to budget. Of course if you had your own DVR solution and an HD antenna that would cover your locals. Amazon has a great DVR that you buy once and is free to use and record all you want called the Recast I have one of these and it's really handy for recording over the air channels.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Hulu Live. The service started at $49 a month maybe two years ago? Going up to $70 this month. Fuckers. I actually do like the app functionality though. They got a lot of shit for their unusual interface but I‘ve always liked it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I use Hulu Live. The service started at $49 a month maybe two years ago? Going up to $70 this month. Fuckers. I actually do like the app functionality though. They got a lot of shit for their unusual interface but I‘ve always liked it.
My son loves Hulu too, I had them for a little while so I could get my Futurama fix. They all seem to be going up but all in all it's nothing near what my Comcast bill was. Seeing all those hidden fees and growing bills each month was what did it for me, I finally got fed up enough to dump them. The biggest benefit is freedom of choice with no contracts and ala carte TV with free trials is awesome, if I want to drop something I just drop it and that's it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My local area now gets the CW on YTTV, so my life is complete. Free HBO Max with my AT&T, and I pay for Netflix, and Prime. I still watch MSNBC most of the time. LOL

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My son loves Hulu too, I had them for a little while so I could get my Futurama fix. They all seem to be going up but all in all it's nothing near what my Comcast bill was. Seeing all those hidden fees and growing bills each month was what did it for me, I finally got fed up enough to dump them. The biggest benefit is freedom of choice with no contracts and ala carte TV with free trials is awesome, if I want to drop something I just drop it and that's it.
The thing that kills me a bit is the price increase increments. There’s been two that I recall, both about $10. In the streaming world, that’s a fuckin ballsey move.

But, I take your point about the simplicity of it. Cancel with a click. Makes me think if it was that easy with cable, they would have lost far fewer consumers.

I doubt Comcast is suffering though. They have a virtual monopoly in my area and get at least $100 a month from us for internet. That’s the one bill in my wife’s name. She doesn’t ever mention it to me probably because she doesn’t want to hear my complaining.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t know WTF happened while I was watching The Undoing it actually played the last episode for the 4th episode which lead me to believe the last 2 episodes would either explain how things got there or possibly be an alternative ending that shows how people with money get away with literal murder. But nope, just played the episodes in the wrong order. :mad:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix 2020)- Wow, this is good, a limited series, 7 episodes following a chess prodigy from an orphanage to adulthood. It’s not a true story, but the book’s author, played chess competitively and the story is inspired by real chess prodigies and chess competition of the 1960s. Only finished Episode 1.

331E4886-F52A-441B-8FE6-09C03D8FAE48.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix 2020)- Wow, this is good, a limited series, 7 episodes following a chess prodigy from an orphanage to adulthood. It’s not a true story, but the book’s author, played chess competitively and the story is inspired by real chess prodigies and chess competition of the 1960s. Only finished Episode 1.

This has gotten a lot of press over the last couple weeks, almost annoyingly so. I think I'll give it a try but line by line in the synopsis there isn't one plot line I'm interested in.

I also read an article about it's one fatal flaw, Anya Taylor Joy is way too attractive for the part as the book spends a lot of time talking about how unattractive the character is and how chess helps her somewhat to improve her confidence despite that. Fuck you, Hollywood. While you're busy trying to atone for past your sins by trying to convince us a black father and white mother gave birth to an asian child you can't give this role to a less attractive actor?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This has gotten a lot of press over the last couple weeks, almost annoyingly so. I think I'll give it a try but line by line in the synopsis there isn't one plot line I'm interested in.

I also read an article about it's one fatal flaw, Anya Taylor Joy is way too attractive for the part as the book spends a lot of time talking about how unattractive the character is and how chess helps her somewhat to improve her confidence despite that. Fuck you, Hollywood. While you're busy trying to atone for past your sins by trying to convince us a black father and white mother gave birth to an asian child you can't give this role to a less attractive actor?
I have not not read the book, the acting is good, so I’m not thinking how this person might look in real life ;), and so far there has been nothing said about her looks and feelings of being ugly.

Besides the intro, this first episode is in the orphanage when she is a child, and the atmosphere, her experience, pulled me right into the story. Shockingly, apparently if this is not fiction, orphanages in the 1960s drugged their kids with tranquilizers to keep them orderly. And this seems to be intrical to her early affinity to chess.

Even though it is acting , I was impressed where in the middle,of a game, she could stand up, walk away from the board while telling her opponent the next sequence of moves to them being checkmated. Now this is just the first episode, 6 more to go, so we’ll see if it holds up.

Top Bottom
1 2