Binge worthy TV

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started Falcon and the Winter Soldier last night. Stopped after episode 5 since it was midnight. The episodes flew by so fast.

I don’t usually feel this way with superhero movies/shows, but for some reason I was super irritated with the hyper physics-shmysics air fight scene. Every 20 frames it was like a demonstration on maneuvers that would normally kill all involved. From that point on I was “Oh, it’s going to be one of those shows” and I quit. I may be alone in this, but I feel like Marvel does a shit job of trying to make you care about anybody on screen. They try but it’s super paint by numbers eye rollers.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I don’t usually feel this way with superhero movies/shows, but for some reason I was super irritated with the hyper physics-shmysics air fight scene. Every 20 frames it was like a demonstration on maneuvers that would normally kill all involved. From that point on I was “Oh, it’s going to be one of those shows” and I quit. I may be alone in this, but I feel like Marvel does a shit job of trying to make you care about anybody on screen. They try but it’s super paint by numbers eye rollers.
No worries. I realize not everyone enjoys Marvel like I do.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I prefer DC comics when it comes to the actual comics. The DC movies have been pretty hit or miss, while the Marvel ones were better than I expected.

U

User.45

Maybe I'll give that a shot. Still catching up on TV I missed the first time around. I mean I only recently finished watching The Americans... which was great but I could be ready for something lighter!
Silicon Valley is definitely very light and immature, but also very very sharp on its Big Tech satire. I rarely laugh at stuff on first view, but almost never on a second one. This is exceptional. And they were able to keep it super funny for most of the show.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley is definitely very light and immature, but also very very sharp on its Big Tech satire. I rarely laugh at stuff on first view, but almost never on a second one. This is exceptional. And they were able to keep it super funny for most of the show.

It took me awhile to start watching Silicon Valley because I assumed it glamorized the culture that surrounds me that I can’t stand, but I ended up really liking it because it brilliantly points out how absurd it really is.

U

User.45

It took me awhile to start watching Silicon Valley because I assumed it glamorized the culture that surrounds me that I can’t stand, but I ended up really liking it because it brilliantly points out how absurd it really is.
I learned a lot more about this culture in the past 4-5 years, and on my rewatch I'm realizing that they've had nearly all the events in the main plot based on actual events and trends that happened in the Valley.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the 2 part docuseries The Crime of the Century on HBO Max that follows the pharmaceutical opioid drug cartel that’s protected by the government including being left alone by the DEA due to Congress.

I took a picture of this info graphic. Bright pink has the highest percentage of pill poppers.

1B136A85-B94A-416B-8C83-38BE32C8F87E.jpeg

I don’t want to victim blame here, but it seems Republican strongholds have the biggest issue. Oregon may seem to disapprove that but outside Portland Oregon is largely rural with a large population of failed Californians who can’t stand taxes and big government.

U

User.45

Watched the 2 part docuseries The Crime of the Century on HBO Max that follows the pharmaceutical opioid drug cartel that’s protected by the government including being left alone by the DEA due to Congress.

I took a picture of this info graphic. Bright pink has the highest percentage of pill poppers.

View attachment 5089

I don’t want to victim blame here, but it seems Republican strongholds have the biggest issue. Oregon may seem to disapprove that but outside Portland Oregon is largely rural with a large population of failed Californians who can’t stand taxes and big government.
It's not victim blaming. It's also a map that correlates well with unemployment,

1620922791971.png

1620922995497.png

Electoral map:
1620922921393.png

U

User.45

View attachment 5089

Employment with disability has an insanely robust inverse correlation with annual pill use.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I learned a lot more about this culture in the past 4-5 years, and on my rewatch I'm realizing that they've had nearly all the events in the main plot based on actual events and trends that happened in the Valley.

That opening scene where Kid Rock is playing in somebody's backyard isn't too far off the mark. I know somebody who worked at some startup (don't remember which one) that had Linkin Park play at their lunch break just because they could. Playing the tech company circuit became a regular of bands dropping from their peak popularity, like maybe only several years past their peak.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

The funniest thing is some of the real absurdities are totally true, a few I've seen first hand. The pro-bros, the $10/bottle waters, the language, everything, is really spot on, but Mike Judge is really great at this, Office Space is a monthly rewatch around here.

I'm a bit bummed as some of the cast turned out to be assholes, but I started watching again too!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha ... !!!

"You can't paint over it, the artist is Latino. Is that racist?"

"Why are you asking me?"

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 5089

HBO vs HBO Max- I think the last time I subscribed to HBO was for season 3 of Westworld and it was HBO Go. As far as I can tell Go and Max are the same price?

It looks like HBO Go has been replaced with HBO Max:

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not victim blaming. It's also a map that correlates well with unemployment,

View attachment 5091
View attachment 5093

Electoral map:
View attachment 5092
I’d like to compare an ethninticity map with the electoral map. I see these huge swaths of red in the rural area and have to wonder. Maybe when you live out in the middle of no where, you don’t like city people making demands of you. However of interest out in the boondocks there are a lot of people suffering yet they seem hostile to social safety nets.

U

User.45

I’d like to compare an ethninticity map with the electoral map. I see these huge swaths of red in the rural area and have to wonder. Maybe when you live out in the middle of no where, you don’t like city people making demands of you. However of interest out in the boondocks there are a lot of people suffering yet they seem hostile to social safety nets.
I wouldn't go that far. What you can see on those maps is that major cities seem to be less impacted. My hunch is that the opioid/heroin epidemic had already been impacting major cities thus they have a different baseline. The three factors here are disability, employment and pill use. I think many of the impacted areas relied on heavy industry with physical labor. As the mines/factories closed it left behind a lot of people with chronic injuries from their occupation (like chronic lower back pain). So where jobs went away, people got depressed that makes pain a lot worse (depression recalibrates pain perception, making it much more unbrearable). This is where prescription opioids come in, they keep people hooked and out the work force.

The epidemic was very obvious, even in 2014, there was an editorial in one of the leading journals showing how opioid-related deaths surpassed motor vehicle accidents amongst young people. When White people start dying, it can't be ignored so while the war on drugs was OK to inflict asymmetrical pain on minorities, you can't find a group that the same approach would be popular with if that starts majorly hitting Whites.

The documentary was pretty good, BTW, but didn't cover some of the super major aspect of the systemic issues. Medicare reimbursements and HCAHPS scores, where patients reported on satisfaction with care at a hospital. A random websites recommendations how to keep patient satisfaction up:

Improving the Quality of Care Provided​

While each hospital has its own unique set of challenges to overcome before it can improve the quality of care it provides, all hospitals, at a baseline level, must focus on:

• Conducting Effective Pain Management: No two patient’s pain thresholds are exactly alike. To ensure all patients receive effective pain management, healthcare professionals must be intimately familiar with the methods used to evaluate a patient’s pain levels, including numerical rating scales, visual analog scales, and categorical assessments. Once they have identified their patient’s pain level, healthcare professionals must determine how best to manage it. Administering medication, repositioning the patient, or providing a cold compress are just a few of the many pain management techniques a healthcare professional can deploy. Healthcare professionals should also know how to reassess a patient’s pain after each technique has been administered.

I've had more than 10 situations as a resident where a patient was demanding opiates in the hospital and if you put your foot down, you get intimidated by some worthless, overpaid administrator... In a good hospital you can chisel them off your back easily, sometimes they are even helpful, but in a shitty hospital they are going to try to intimidate you into prescribing hydromorphone (Dilaudid, a 20x more potent than herion kind of narcotic). Some savvy patients actually target teaching hospitals because of inexperienced residents are much more shy telling admins to fuck off.

It's also a major ethical dilemma, and the moment somebody tries to compare the patient to a consumer I tell them to fuck off. I have a lot higher standard and stricter moral obligations than McDonalds. There's data to show that patients who are more satisfied with their care have higher complication rates and utilize more resources. I can get anybody hooked on Dilaudid and make them very happy with me, yet it's often times the worst service I can do to the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. What you can see on those maps is that major cities seem to be less impacted. My hunch is that the opioid/heroin epidemic had already been impacting major cities thus they have a different baseline. The three factors here are disability, employment and pill use. I think many of the impacted areas relied on heavy industry with physical labor. As the mines/factories closed it left behind a lot of people with chronic injuries from their occupation (like chronic lower back pain). So where jobs went away, people got depressed that makes pain a lot worse (depression recalibrates pain perception, making it much more unbrearable). This is where prescription opioids come in, they keep people hooked and out the work force.

The epidemic was very obvious, even in 2014, there was an editorial in one of the leading journals showing how opioid-related deaths surpassed motor vehicle accidents amongst young people. When White people start dying, it can't be ignored so while the war on drugs was OK to inflict asymmetrical pain on minorities, you can't find a group that the same approach would be popular with if that starts majorly hitting Whites.

The documentary was pretty good, BTW, but didn't cover some of the super major aspect of the systemic issues. Medicare reimbursements and HCAHPS scores, where patients reported on satisfaction with care at a hospital. A random websites recommendations how to keep patient satisfaction up:

I've had more than 10 situations as a resident where a patient was demanding opiates in the hospital and if you put your foot down, you get intimidated by some worthless, overpaid administrator... In a good hospital you can chisel them off your back easily, sometimes they are even helpful, but in a shitty hospital they are going to try to intimidate you into prescribing hydromorphone (Dilaudid, a 20x more potent than herion kind of narcotic). Some savvy patients actually target teaching hospitals because of inexperienced residents are much more shy telling admins to fuck off.

It's also a major ethical dilemma, and the moment somebody tries to compare the patient to a consumer I tell them to fuck off. I have a lot higher standard and stricter moral obligations than McDonalds. There's data to show that patients who are more satisfied with their care have higher complication rates and utilize more resources. I can get anybody hooked on Dilaudid and make them very happy with me, yet it's often times the worst service I can do to the patient.
Of interest there was a report on NPR yesterday or Friday about the US Hospital System in the 1960s were flush with money from the Federal government and how that has changed and along with it how prices have skyrocketed and services reduced.

Also of interest were the role of the powerful steel union during the New Deal which had basically a world monopoly on steel, and apparently at one point the govt wanted to do the equivalent Medicare for all, but somehow it was unions that decided they wanted and pushed for health care through their wealthy employers.

There was also a segment discussing how racism played a roll. The white union members that wanted expanded worker rights, but did not really want racial integration and equal pay because they wanted pass the good jobs down to their their kids. :(

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
There was also a segment discussing how racism played a roll. The white union members that wanted expanded worker rights, but did not really want racial integration and equal pay because they wanted pass the good jobs down to their their kids. :(
Those kids are among the strongest supporters of Trump.

U

User.45

Of interest there was a report on NPR yesterday or Friday about the US Hospital System in the 1960s were flush with money from the Federal government and how that has changed and along with it how prices have skyrocketed and services reduced.

Also of interest were the role of the powerful steel union during the New Deal which had basically a world monopoly on steel, and apparently at one point the govt wanted to do the equivalent Medicare for all, but somehow it was unions that decided they wanted and pushed for health care through their wealthy employers.

Would love to read it if you have the link (couldn't find it on my own).

Those kids are among the strongest supporters of Trump.
They are also probably those in the pill popping areas with defunct heavy industry.

Top Bottom
1 2