Binge worthy TV

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yes, good episode. I was surprised at its relatively conclusive ending, though. Then I found out that the book is not so much a novel as a collection of inter-related stories. Which I suppose is good if they want to go beyond the book for additional seasons.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG, S01E02 of Lovecraft Country was totally off the rails, hahaha, amazing. The talent is so good, the Lovecraft content nuts, glad we didn't have to wait any longer for Omar!

I don't know the original source material but it felt like they could have left it a 2 episode series. I know I don't have any further questions that need to be answered.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm so looking forward to this. Loved The Haunting of Hill House and I think it's the only show I've watched in just one weekend.

The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-Poster.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG, S01E02 of Lovecraft Country was totally off the rails, hahaha, amazing. The talent is so good, the Lovecraft content nuts, glad we didn't have to wait any longer for Omar!
Yes, good episode. I was surprised at its relatively conclusive ending, though. Then I found out that the book is not so much a novel as a collection of inter-related stories. Which I suppose is good if they want to go beyond the book for additional seasons.

That's good to know. I wonder if it will and up being more like Tales from the Loop? That was a weird-ass limited series.

I don't know the original source material but it felt like they could have left it a 2 episode series. I know I don't have any further questions that need to be answered.

Are you kidding? I have so many questions now! Who will whistle/control the alpha dogs? Who is the lady that stepped out of the portal and where did she go? Is there still power to be used?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I have so many questions now! Who will whistle/control the alpha dogs? Who is the lady that stepped out of the portal and where did she go? Is there still power to be used?

Upon some reflection, the whole thing seemed a little rushed, especially the destruction of the top bad guys. They probably could have used the whole season to further explore this 2 episode arc. I hold HBO to a higher standard. This seems like STARZ quality, and this episode felt like the standard STARZ "Let's just sloppily end it at 3 seasons because that's what we do. Budgets!"

I agree about your unanswered questions, but I also don't care about the answers. It's maybe just not the show for me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Upon some reflection, the whole thing seemed a little rushed, especially the destruction of the top bad guys.

I actually like that they really stood on the accelerator up front, the folks that got creamed were still just flunkies, cearly not prepared for that they unleashed (which happens in just about all CM literature ...)

It's almost like they did a "Here's how we got here" flashback type intro, but it's done in real time, which is neat, but they do need a little breathing room now, so excited about how they proceed with the next 2 episodes.

Also, I'll just leave this here:

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)

I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)

The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
(but Whitey's on the moon)

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That's good to know. I wonder if it will and up being more like Tales from the Loop? That was a weird-ass limited series.
Omigod. I’ve only seen three eps so far. But that second one, with the innocent young boy trapped like that? That was one of the most fucking depressing endings I’ve ever seen. Just the thought of it haunted me for days. I’m not kidding.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm so looking forward to this. Loved The Haunting of Hill House and I think it's the only show I've watched in just one weekend.

The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-Poster.jpg

I totally forgot about this, so stoked, THOHH was pretty fantastic.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I totally forgot about this, so stoked, THOHH was pretty fantastic.

Some horror fans didn’t like THOHH saying it was more like a family drama with a ghost subplot. I didn’t see it that way. I thought it was good character development that made you care about the characters. Going back to Lovecraft Country, I don’t really care about the characters. I think the attempt to make you care is kind of ham-fisted and overacting. I found the acting in THOHH to be much more realistic and relatable. Also the horror scenes in THOHH are at minimum dark or eerie. In general Lovecraft Country is more like a cartoon and I think I was expecting something darker.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched the first episode of the new The Vow documentary series on HBO Max and wow, just wow. I'm well informed of the story but if you aren't I highly recommend not doing any research and just watch it. All I'll say is it's the story of the NXIVM self empowerment organization that even the Dalai Lama visited and endorsed at one point and now the founder is in prison. Even knowing the story, watching the first episode which is full of recruitment material and interviews with defectors, I could totally see how it's something I would be interested in joining, and that's normally my thing.

The only other non spoiler I will share is despite the scandal and the founder being in prison now, no member or former member is really disputing that the teachings and methodology doesn't work. It's more a situation of "with great power comes great responsibility" and that power instead morphed into abuse.

jonblatho

Power User
Reaction score
I just now got around to watching season 6 of Grace and Frankie; watched it all in under a week. Love the show; my watching the first season was, let’s just say, very well-timed for other matters going on in my life at the time.

I’ve held it close since then, even if the storylines are starting to become a bit worn. I hate that it’s ending with the next season, but it does feel like it’s time.

Also, The Morning Show on Apple TV+ is superb if you can get past the first few episodes, which frankly deserve the lukewarm-to-chilly reception they got when TV+ first launched. I’m still shook at the season finale and anxiously awaiting season 2.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

It's about time they got around to releasing Bly Manor. I've been waiting for this for so long now, I thought it had slipped off into development hell.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m pumped Fargo season 4 is coming soon. I’d been under the impression that COVID was delaying unfinished filming so not sure what happened there.

Season 1 was good and season 3 was just ok for me. But season 2 is some of the best TV I’ve seen. The show is still coasting on that good will for me. My hopes for season 4 are high.

Top Bottom
1 2