Binge worthy TV

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Not a binge watch but the West Wing reunion show on HBO Max. Filled me with nostalgia for the carefree days of 2002, for fucks sake.

Hell I've been feeling nostalgic lately about fricken Watergate. Not a TV show but living through the actual era. Heh. Who knew?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will try NEXT out maybe next week. Has anybody watched the Sarah Cooper show on Netflix yet? I’ve been watching Weeds. I have enjoyed the first 1.5 seasons pretty well.
I don’t understand the fascination with Sarah Cooper. I find her really...meh.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone tried NEXT? It’s about an AI. The first three episodes have been really good.
On Fox? Wondering if these can be found on demand?
update: I installed FoxNow app and had to authenticate with my Cable Provider. (I have a basic subscriotion.) Episodes are there for viewing.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t know. I use YouTubeTV and have never been happier.
I update my previous post.

I’m using SlingTV in addition to a basic cable subscription, which seems to satisfy my wife’s various viewing desires. May I ask how much you are paying for YouTube TV and what you primarily watch?

What makes thing semi-complicated is my wife’s desire to watch Football which is easiest accomplished with the basic cable subscription. We also watch MSNBC, TCM and HGTV.
Subscribed to Sling Blue $30+ DVR $5.

Last edited:

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
A few series we've enjoyed on the goggle box the past months — split between Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We enjoy things that don't overstay their welcome. One, two… maybe three series and then enough.
Not many scriptwriters are up to the challenge of stringing me along. :sneaky:

Altes Geld
An Austrian family gives new meaning to the term "filthy" rich.
1603911028273.png

Perfume
Germans can do weird, in a very special, way… uses Patrick Susskind's Perfume as an armature.
1603911107666.png

Babylon Berlin Season 2
IMHO Season 1 still the best, with a lot of gratuitous excitement added this series, I feel it is in danger of jumping the shark so I have little inclination to watch Series 3 ad infinitum…
1603911150607.png

Perpetual Grace, LTD
Absolutely loved this. It just presses all my buttons and hits all the spots. Sadly, it was canned after Series 1. A similar fate to my other favourite US series Carnivàle, many years ago.
1603911203917.png

Dix pour cent
Very light and fluffy French comedy about an actors' agency.
Desastre! Un autre desastre! Mais, tout va bien à la fin.
1603911282014.png

Oh and then there is trash TV… Drag Race Holland… *sigh* compellingly awful.

1603911482767.png

My husband enjoys Hell on Wheels. Though I think he's just perving on Anson Mount. *Tsk*

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I’m using SlingTV in addition to a basic cable subscription, which seems to satisfy my wife’s various viewing desires. May I ask how much you are paying for YouTube TV and what you primarily watch?

What makes thing semi-complicated is my wife’s desire to watch Football which is easiest accomplished with the basic cable subscription. We also watch MSNBC, TCM and HGTV.
I'm also using YTTV and it's by far the best service I've ever personally used. They recently went up after adding a bunch of other channels and the price is $65.00 a month but to me it's still totally worth it. I typically watch the standard networks (all with locals) and of course cable news, Comedy Central, TBS, etc.

The unlimited DVR is beyond anything I've ever used. For me it's the best of Comcast while saving over $100 a month and the control I have over it gives so much more freedom.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

As Eric just said, $65/month. It allows my husband and me to watch our own shows in separate rooms and DVR whatever we want. At the same time, my daughter is on our account so that she can watch New Orleans Saints football in NY. The only thing missing, and it varies by region, is the CW. But somehow, because it’s a regional thing, I can record and watch the CW shows, I just can’t watch them live.

I watch MSNBC way too much. But I also watch shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. It’s wonderful because we don’t lose tv with every storm like we did with either cable or satellite.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
God, I love The Wire. Also, if you haven’t watched Justified, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Rewatching both now.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
God, I love The Wire. Also, if you haven’t watched Justified, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Rewatching both now.

A compelling series for sure, The Wire. Exploitation is an equal opportunity gig and The Wire didn't pull any punches, we're all in there somewhere... whether we're pols or cops or newshounds or real estate developers or peons resorting to ripping each other off when push comes to shove and we fall through the cracks. I stlll rewatch some of those episodes now and then.

Tomorrow though I'm putting on my royalty voyeur's hat for the Netflix rollout of season 4 of The Crown. Not going to binge-watch it, even though I believe they're dropping all episodes of the new season. I need to string my watches out to take up more of this seemingly endless time of the USA trying to launch its own "new season" in DC. Was gonna watch Veep but decided in favor of a little more distance from American politics and so to season 4 of The Crown.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched the first season of La Revolution on Netflix. Like The Witcher its kind of like Game of Thrones except you just have to remember 2 sides, the aristocracy vs the commoner. There's also a supernatural element to it. Really enjoyed it. It's overdubbed in English but it's the best overdub job I've seen done on Netflix. If it wasn't for the French titles and credits you probably wouldn't even know it originates in French.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I mentioned The Third Day earlier, and just got around to watching the second half.
I wish I'd finished it earlier. Its coherence and story continuity are a whole lot better than Lovecraft Country.

The series takes place on a British island called Osea, which is connected to the mainland by a causeway which is only open for a short time each day. The people there are...unusual. They're a group of criminals and misfits who went there to live in peace and start over.

They're quietly menacing. They have strange religious rituals. And factions on the island are arguing over who should be their leader.

Into this comes Sam, a broken man who's still grieving over his dead little boy. Once he's on the island, events conspire to keep him there.

This forms the first three-episode arc. Then there's a second three-episode arc which initially looks totally unrelated (except for the location). This part, which involves new visitors to Osea, quickly begins to add up all the weirdness. The new arrivals find themselves trapped, too, as the leadership struggle gets more intense.

What I liked about the series was that it raised a number of questions and paid off with answers fairly quickly. Each part of the second arc explains more and more of the first, until the last episode comes to a very intense resolution that unveils answers to questions you didn't know you had.

In a mystery novel this would be tantamount to withholding a vital clue from you until the last few pages, which is a no-no. Here however it reveals aspects to the characters you've been watching that put them in a whole new light. You thought you knew these people, until the end, when you realize you didn't really know them at all.

Good show.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ted Lasso on Apple TV + is surprisingly good. It’s kind of anti-cringe comedy. Really sweet vibe.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Spitting Image is back!

Finally! After too many years of will they won't they…

View attachment 661

We joined Britbox just to be able to see the new series. (Frankly, there's nowt else to watch on there.)

The first episode definitely delivered the satire, the viciousness and stiletto sharp evisceration of the original '80s series.

But… but… I did not find it as shocking as I did the original.
We have become so jaded by bizarre behaviour, exposed to non stop "what the fuckery" since then that our guffaws and laughter is less, I dunno, spontaneous? We know our PM Pfeffel the Ovenready is a fool and buffoon ready to sell the country to the highest bidder. We know Trump is an arsehole (oh yes… quite literally) so the shock is not quite the same.

We knew Thatcher was bad and Major a grey man with zero personality. We knew Kinnock was useless and Reagan a doddard. But I don't think we ever doubted that they were humans mostly doing what they felt was best.

Our current crop of politicos and celebs are so vacuous and so unscrupulous in their race to the top of the greasy money/ratings pole that this current SI is just less shocking.

Still, worth a watch and brilliantly done.

I must admit that I loved Spitting Image in the 1980s; the excellent visuals - stunning puppets - were one thing, but the scripts (and satire lives by its scripts) while brilliant at best, were actually pretty uneven at times; I remember the show as superlative sometimes, but, at others, almost trying too hard.

Re Mr Major, I have known people who worked for him, and negotiated with him: Some Irish interlocutors have said that he was he first British leader they ever met who not only treated them with genuine courtesy and respect, but - and this is telling - he also treated his own staff with courtesy, decency and respect.

Personally, I think that the "grey man" facade, or exterior, was a rather carefully cultivated mask, or disguise to some degree. Mr Major's background was very peculiar, and I think he cultivated a specific "grey" and almost anonymous persona, partly to distance himself from it, and partly to blend in successfully in the higher levels of the Tory party without alerting them to the fact that his background was nothing whatsoever like theirs, and that, by background, he had nothing in common with (and I suspect, little instinctive sympathy for) the classic, inbred, Tory, "chumocracy".

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I finished Schitt’s Creek. It was so good! Love it when a show sticks the landing.
That was an exceptional show. So much about it to love. Have you seen the wrap up? The show made a difference in a lot of lives.

Top Bottom
1 2