Binge worthy TV

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We just started Season 2 of Umbrella Academy (Netflix). Wow, what a creative start! :)

7D7D91C8-5C89-40E6-9B05-413D168F70F5.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In advance I’m saying I am so looking forward to this.

Heard many stories and seen short documentaries already over the years. I look forward to the HBO documentary it deserves.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
asrq1xzcrdh51.jpg

I just caught the first episode of Lovecraft Country, and it was as good as I hoped it would be.

Set in 1928, episode 1 (at least) does a great job of contrasting the Lovecraftian horrors that live in the woods with the redneck racist horrors that live primarily in rural America.

Between this and Watchmen, HBO is doing a hell of a job telling good stories about being Black in America.

...And that mansion-castle and the blonde white girl are fucking creepy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
asrq1xzcrdh51.jpg

I just caught the first episode of Lovecraft Country, and it was as good as I hoped it would be.

Set in 1928, episode 1 (at least) does a great job of contrasting the Lovecraftian horrors that live in the woods with the redneck racist horrors that live primarily in rural America.

Between this and Watchmen, HBO is doing a hell of a job telling good stories about being Black in America.

...And that mansion-castle and the blonde white girl are fucking creepy.
This may warrant a 1 month bing watch subscription. Maybe I can combine it with the next season of Westworld, although the last season disappointed me. Seasons 1 and 2 knocked it out of the park. Based on S3, I really don’t think I care about what happens. It could be one if this things better left to your imagination. 😥

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Oh it was so good! And mostly because you were so concerned about the human horrors that you had totally forgotten what the premise of the show was by the time the nonhuman horrors showed up!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I've been binging a pre-Lovecraft Country horror show you're probably familiar with: Kolchak the Night Stalker.

It's nicely bonkers...half horror, half humor. The original TV-movies were more serious, though.

If I have a complaint with the show it's that Gil Mellé's somewhat avant garde score, heard in early episodes, was the wrong fit for the series. Nevertheless it's highly entertaining cheese.

And it's bizarre how the Night Stalker appellation originally referred to the villain, but came to mean Kolchak himself. Don't even get me started on how many books have ripped off the Night Stalker name to use on all kinds of bad guys.

I'm fortunately enough to have the original two books, "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler". They're fun, breezy summer reads.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OMG, since we're starting from scratch can be MERGE the two TV threads, that drives me NUTS over on MR.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Thanks dude, I mean, I get there's what on TV vs. binging specifically, but like a new series drops on Netflix, it's what I'm watching, but I'm also binging it since they release all EPs at one time .

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been binging a pre-Lovecraft Country horror show you're probably familiar with: Kolchak the Night Stalker.

It's nicely bonkers...half horror, half humor. The original TV-movies were more serious, though.

If I have a complaint with the show it's that Gil Mellé's somewhat avant garde score, heard in early episodes, was the wrong fit for the series. Nevertheless it's highly entertaining cheese.

And it's bizarre how the Night Stalker appellation originally referred to the villain, but came to mean Kolchak himself. Don't even get me started on how many books have ripped off the Night Stalker name to use on all kinds of bad guys.

I'm fortunately enough to have the original two books, "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler". They're fun, breezy summer reads.

Yeah, Chris Carter who created The X-files said he was a huge fan of Night Stalker (and it inspired him to make a serious about paranormal investigation).

It's terrific fun, and of course, Darren McGavin is fantastic.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
Omigod, I thought I was the only one watching this! I went through it about a year ago.

A fair amount of it hasn’t worn well, but the Farkle Family still cracks me up. It's just so stupid. 😄

And for the life of me I can't find it, but I remember posting about one particular episode that was so politically incorrect. Sammy Davis Jr. was in it, and I remember the cast kept making little teasing cracks. I'd hoped to find them specifically, but it was stuff like having him enter a scene and someone saying it's getting dark in here. Stuff like that. There was this running gag where Davis would say, "That's one," and then the next racist crack he'd say, "That's two," and after one particular bad one he said, "That's three, four and five." And it was all in good fun because they were all making fun of racism.

And Sammy Davis Jr. was just being the best sport for letting them do it. After all the mock-racist jokes, there was even one scene with (black) cast member Chelsea Brown where the two of them walked off-screen arm in arm and Davis said, "Come on, Chelsea, let's go wash this off."

No way could you get away with that today.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Omigod, I thought I was the only one watching this! I went through it about a year ago.

A fair amount of it hasn’t worn well, but the Farkle Family still cracks me up. It's just so stupid. 😄

And for the life of me I can't find it, but I remember posting about one particular episode that was so politically incorrect. Sammy Davis Jr. was in it, and I remember the cast kept making little teasing cracks. I'd hoped to find them specifically, but it was stuff like having him enter a scene and someone saying it's getting dark in here. Stuff like that. There was this running gag where Davis would say, "That's one," and then the next racist crack he'd say, "That's two," and after one particular bad one he said, "That's three, four and five." And it was all in good fun because they were all making fun of racism.

And Sammy Davis Jr. was just being the best sport for letting them do it. After all the mock-racist jokes, there was even one scene with (black) cast member Chelsea Brown where the two of them walked off-screen arm in arm and Davis said, "Come on, Chelsea, let's go wash this off."

No way could you get away with that today.
They've even done blackface, Goldie Hawn of all people, the same with Bennie Hill. All definitely unacceptable by today's standards, Sammy Davis Jr would sometimes walk on set or stage (on many shows) almost apologetic for being black, frankly it was really sad to see, especially looking back.

It was also a different time so I try to look at it from that angle and I have a hard time holding what people did 50 years ago to today's standards. If I'm watching and something is patently offensive (like some of those laugh-in sketches) I'll just skip through them.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
COVID has caused us to subscribe to virtually every goddamn streaming service. Yet, here I am re-watching Lost. The first few episodes have an awesome shot out of a cannon vibe. I’ll defend the series as a whole. I know some hated the ending but I was ok with it.

The TV finale that pissed me off the most: Battlestar Galactica, and I fucking love that show.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
COVID has caused us to subscribe to virtually every goddamn streaming service. Yet, here I am re-watching Lost. The first few episodes have an awesome shot out of a cannon vibe. I’ll defend the series as a whole. I know some hated the ending but I was ok with it.

The TV finale that pissed me off the most: Battlestar Galactica, and I fucking love that show.

Agree on both! I felt cheated at the end of BG. Lost - ok. I had seen that coming for a while.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Perhaps not binge worthy, but I was exploring Pluto TV and came across an old show, Space: 1999. It was even a favorite episode, “Black Sun”. The episode was just as good as I remembered it.

Better, even. It used to play in syndication from crappy 16mm prints. This was a crystal clear HD transfer.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps not binge worthy, but I was exploring Pluto TV and came across an old show, Space: 1999. It was even a favorite episode, “Black Sun”. The episode was just as good as I remembered it.

Better, even. It used to play in syndication from crappy 16mm prints. This was a crystal clear HD transfer.

Another of my old favorites!

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I was supposed to be watching something else, but stumbled across this on my drive & have been loving it again.

One of my all time favorite actions series. Seasons #3 - #5
latest

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OMG, S01E02 of Lovecraft Country was totally off the rails, hahaha, amazing. The talent is so good, the Lovecraft content nuts, glad we didn't have to wait any longer for Omar!

Top Bottom
1 2