Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just one of several examples.

Everyone here knows I'm a BLM supporter, I march with them and firmly believe in their cause, the oppression, and the police brutality. That said, black on Asian hate/crimes has to be addressed, it's not isolated and we see it over and over again and it's flat out sickening that these people are senselessly beaten like this with no remorse. in the Bay Area it's off the scales and there are more videos of Asian people being beaten by black people than I can count now.

Many of my Asian friends, without coming right out and saying it, have changed their habits when and how they leave their homes. They can't even walk to the store for a few groceries without fear of being attacked, and you can see why. We should ALL have the right to walk down our own streets feeling safe.

Hoping the new DA makes a difference here, if we refuse to address and prosecute to let the penalty fit the crime it will never stop.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

Janelle Wong, a professor of American Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, released analysis last week that drew on previously published studies on anti-Asian bias. She found official crime statistics and other studies revealed more than three-quarters of offenders of anti-Asian hate crimes and incidents, from both before and during the pandemic, have been white, contrary to many of the images circulating online.

:unsure:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

:unsure:

This quote isn't just the perception, it's reality.
"The way that the media is covering and the way that people are understanding anti-Asian hate at this moment, in some ways, draws attention to these long-standing anti-Asian biases in U.S. society," Wong said. "But the racist kind of tropes that come along with it — especially that it's predominantly Black people attacking Asian Americans who are elderly — there's not really an empirical basis in that."

The media is simply covering what's going on, videos are posted regularly on social media as well. Not going to pretend to understand why this is happening but it's appalling and in every single one of these cases it's black boys or men attacking them, it needs to be addressed.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
This quote isn't just the perception, it's reality.

The media is simply covering what's going on, videos are posted regularly on social media as well. Not going to pretend to understand why this is happening but it's appalling and in every single one of these cases it's black boys or men attacking them, it needs to be addressed.
Your reply doesn't fit the portion you quoted. In fact, it demonstrably shows she is right in her assessment of empirical data before and during the onslaught of anti-Asian hate since the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Your reply doesn't fit the portion you quoted. In fact, it demonstrably shows she is right in her assessment of empirical data before and during the onslaught of anti-Asian hate since the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Not denying that, just saying it's almost exclusively black on Asian, at least in the Bay Area.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area and being white, but having many Asian-American relatives, I've been keeping a very close eye on media coverage of Asian hate in SF. And also because I like making photographs in SF in different neighborhoods, mostly of people, and naturally concerned for my safety in general.

My *anecdotal* viewing of such coverage left me with the view that perpetrators have been a mix. If I *had* to pick a majority from my anecdotal viewing, I'd lean to white. Which kind of makes sense considering population distribution in general.

That said, I think it's a little dangerous to pigeonhole a particular race as perpetrators considering the social media tropes that could develop and inflame.

Also...From media coverage observation, it does appear (I'm not qualified to judge) that many perpetrators are not well, and possibly suffering from addictions and/or mental issues. That's an issue that does merit serious concern.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Not denying that, just saying it's almost exclusively black on Asian, at least in the Bay Area.
Which is where I think the issue is. At least for me, nor the areas I've hung around.

You seem to be equating that what happens in your immediate area, as symptomatic & fact everywhere else. Throwing in the 'being sympathetic with BLM' bit just made me uncomfortable. I don't doubt it's an issue where you are, but it's an issue elsewhere & not an issue elsewhere. The fact is it's obviously an issue for you, but perhaps it isn't truly as big as @ronntaylor presented. We all remember the disheartening spike in attacks during the pandemic for ginned up reasons, but that was Black AND White. With a particular focus on Black perpetrators for obvious sensationalistic reasons.

I readily admit due to my personal situation, I don't or maybe cannot see it the same way you do. But I got the feeling from the way the thread is presented ( up until mentioning the new DA, that did make it a local thing ), that is was some kind of widespread issue blowing up across the country.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Which is where I think the issue is. At least for me, nor the areas I've hung around.

You seem to be equating that what happens in your immediate area, as symptomatic & fact everywhere else. Throwing in the 'being sympathetic with BLM' bit just made me uncomfortable. I don't doubt it's an issue where you are, but it's an issue elsewhere & not an issue elsewhere. The fact is it's obviously an issue for you, but perhaps it isn't truly as big as @ronntaylor presented. We all remember the disheartening spike in attacks during the pandemic for ginned up reasons, but that was Black AND White. With a particular focus on Black perpetrators for obvious sensationalistic reasons.

I readily admit due to my personal situation, I don't or maybe cannot see it the same way you do. But I got the feeling from the way the thread is presented ( up until mentioning the new DA, that did make it a local thing ), that is was some kind of widespread issue blowing up across the country.
You are trying to make this an issue with "me" and it's completely missing the point. It's an issue for every elderly Asian (mostly women) being beaten by young black men. That's the issue, it has nothing to do with me or you. If I wanted to I could bring up a dozen or more videos of them here to drive the point home but it's unnecessary and frankly infuriating to watch anyway. Denying there's a racial component here is ignorance.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Reaction score
You are trying to make this an issue with "me" and it's completely missing the point. It's an issue for every elderly Asian (mostly women) being beaten by young black men. That's the issue, it has nothing to do with me or you. If I wanted to I could bring up a dozen or more videos of them here to drive the point home but it's unnecessary and frankly infuriating to watch anyway. Denying there's a racial component here is ignorance.
No.

I am clearly stating it's an issue with ME, and how I perceived the thread. As the thread made it seem like this is a widespread issue across the country ( yes, I am exaggerating here to hopefully get across my point ) with packs of roving Black men preying upon elderly Asian women, as opposed to an issue where you are and have decided it is of concern to you.

That was MY point.

This is not an uncommon issue. As I stated for myself personally I've seen this dance before, and it will happen again as it's a thing that comes up periodically.

The Trope of Black-Asian Conflict

These senseless acts of anti-Asian violence have finally garnered the national attention they deserve, but they have also invoked anti-Black sentiment and reignited the trope of Black-Asian conflict. Because some of the video-taped perpetrators appear to have been Black, some observers immediately reduced anti-Asian violence to Black-Asian conflict. This is not the first time that the trope has been weaponized. Black-Asian conflict—and Black-Korean conflict more specifically—became the popular frame of the LA riots in 1992.

The trope failed to capture the reality of Black-Korean relations three decades ago, and it fails to capture the reality of anti-Asian bias today. A recent study finds that in fact, Christian nationalism is the strongest predictor of xenophobic views of COVID-19, and the effect of Christian nationalism is greater among white respondents, compared to Black respondents. Moreover, Black Americans have also experienced high levels of racial discrimination since the pandemic began. Hence, not only does the frame of two minoritized groups in conflict ignore the role of white national populism, but it also absolves the history and systems of inequality that positioned them there.

Once again, I am not doubting the concern you have for this, but it seems to be presented as nationwide issue as opposed to an issue that happens in some areas. That and what I referred to earlier, was what made me uncomfortable.

Edit: I did see you clarify "at least in the Bay Area", which I did appreciate.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
No.

I am clearly stating it's an issue with ME, and how I perceived the thread. As the thread made it seem like this is a widespread issue across the country ( yes, I am exaggerating here to hopefully get across my point ) with packs of roving Black men preying upon elderly Asian women, as opposed to an issue where you are and have decided it is of concern to you.

That was MY point.

This is not an uncommon issue. As I stated for myself personally I've seen this dance before, and it will happen again as it's a thing that comes up periodically.

Once again, I am not doubting the concern you have for this, but it seems to be presented as nationwide issue as opposed to an issue that happens in some areas. That and what I referred to earlier, was made me uncomfortable.

Edit: I did see you clarify "at least in the Bay Area", which I did appreciate.
Fair enough and I am only speaking from the point of the Bay Area and will claim ignorance elsewhere. Looking back you're right that it doesn't make that clear, I'll amend the title.

D

Deleted member 215

I live in the Bay Area, and yes, this does seem to be an issue. Of course I have seen examples of anti-Asian hate coming from white people and they may be the majority of perpetrators (I don't know for sure; I don't have the numbers), but black people have notably carried out a number of these attacks and it should be addressed. One of my Asian friends (who is very left-wing and sympathetic to BLM) has posted about it numerous times, calling on black people to address this problem within their communities.

Unfortunately I still come across tropes like "black people can't be racist" or whatever and that kind of attitude doesn't help anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Why do videos of black people attacking Asian people go viral more than videos of white people doing the same?

Well, think about what color of skin most people are in America, what their biases are, and what they’re most likely to share on social media... oh, and the same for those that run news outlets. Just something to consider... 🤔

It’s a lot easier to blame one minority group for the violence against another minority group than it is to accept that anti-Asian hate is a widespread phenomenon among many demographics, and we need to collectively reckon with that.

Why is it that white people suddenly care about Asian rights when it comes to affirmative action suits against colleges or exaggerated levels of black-on-asian violence? A chance to portray ourselves as caring about Asians while getting to confirm our anti-black biases.

Half of all anti-asian hate crimes in 2021 in San Fran were actually committed by one guy, who is Portuguese.

When the actual statistics tell us that it’s NOT mostly black people committing these crimes, but we still believe it anyway? We are allowing the 21st-century version of anecdotal experience trump the data. We are human, and that’s how we are wired - anecdotes and stories that pull at one’s “heart strings” tend to win more people than boring old data. However, maybe it’s worth the effort to do the research, look at the data, and question our biases. That includes the false assumption that a handful of viral videos are actually an unbiased representative sample.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Why do videos of black people attacking Asian people go viral more than videos of white people doing the same?

Well, think about what color of skin most people are in America, what their biases are, and what they’re most likely to share on social media... oh, and the same for those that run news outlets. Just something to consider... 🤔

It’s a lot easier to blame one minority group for the violence against another minority group than it is to accept that anti-Asian hate is a widespread phenomenon among many demographics, and we need to collectively reckon with that.

Why is it that white people suddenly care about Asian rights when it comes to affirmative action suits against colleges or exaggerated levels of black-on-asian violence? A chance to portray ourselves as caring about Asians while getting to confirm our anti-black biases. Kind of like how white male mobs in our nation’s past treated women as inferior, but then suddenly cared about violence against women... if they could blame it on a black man (or boy).
You can believe your own eyes, these reports happen locally on the news all the time which is why you are starting to see statements like the one in the article Jay posted bringing race into question. The local news never says "black on Asian" but in every report that has video, it is indeed black on Asian. So any speculation that the media is spreading it is unfounded, at least locally. It's basically a conclusion that's drawn by the public based on what we witness. Not just in the news but local social media as well, moderates and Liberals are also taking notice.

Half of all anti-asian hate crimes in 2021 in San Fran were actually committed by one guy, who is Portuguese.

When the actual statistics tell us that it’s NOT mostly black people committing these crimes, but we still believe it anyway? We are allowing the 21st-century version of anecdotal experience trump the data. We are human, and that’s how we are wired - anecdotes and stories that pull at one’s “heart strings” tend to win more people than boring old data. However, maybe it’s worth the effort to do the research, look at the data, and question our biases. That includes the false assumption that a handful of viral videos are actually an unbiased representative sample.
This article does not state "half" anywhere, where are you getting that? This is a ridiculous misrepresentation of the facts, and BTW anti-Asian hate crimes have jumped significantly in and since 2021. And for the record, Boudin (the DA cited in this story) was recalled for his failure to address the rampant crime in the city in a very Liberal area.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This article does not state "half" anywhere, where are you getting that? This is a ridiculous misrepresentation of the facts, and BTW anti-Asian hate crimes have jumped significantly in and since 2021. And for the record, Boudin (the DA cited in this story) was recalled for his failure to address the rampant crime in the city in a very Liberal area.
There were 60 “hate crime” incidents against Asian people in SF in 2021, a massive increase. This guy was charged with 31 of them. More details here:

You can believe your own eyes, these reports happen locally on the news all the time which is why you are starting to see statements like the one in the article Jay posted bringing race into question. The local news never says "black on Asian" but in every report that has video, it is indeed black on Asian. So any speculation that the media is spreading it is unfounded, at least locally. It's basically a conclusion that's drawn by the public based on what we witness. Not just in the news but local social media as well, moderates and Liberals are also taking notice.
Again... who decides which videos make the news? Who decides which videos get shared enough to become viral?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
There were 60 “hate crime” incidents against Asian people in SF in 2021, a massive increase. This guy was charged with 31 of them. More details here:

There is an epidemic and exponential growth in these attacks, there is no disputing that.

Reports of hate crimes against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the city of San Francisco increased dramatically last year, according to new police data, in what law enforcement called an “alarming rise”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/20/caren-act-san-francisco-racist-911-calls
Preliminary data from the San Francisco police department showed reports of incidents where police believe an anti-Asian bias played a role jumped from nine in 2020 to 60 in 2021, a 567% increase, in the city of 875,000 people.

Again... who decides which videos make the news? Who decides which videos get shared enough to become viral?
The attacks dictate what is reported and nearly all of them are caught on video, I do not think the media is out to make anyone look bad and as I mentioned they never tie race to it in their reports other than stating the Asian person is being attacked. Do we really believe they'll only report on black only while ignoring everyone else?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The attacks dictate what is reported and nearly all of them are caught on video, I do not think the media is out to make anyone look bad and as I mentioned they never tie race to it in their reports other than stating the Asian person is being attacked. Do we really believe they'll only report on black only while ignoring everyone else?
I don’t watch San Francisco local news. I cannot confirm nor deny what they show or don’t show. But the fact is that a majority of anti-asian hate crimes in the region are perpetrated by non-black people. If we falsely blame it all on black people, we cannot solve the problem, as we’re ignoring the fact that white and black people are both violently attacking asian people.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don’t watch San Francisco local news. I cannot confirm nor deny what they show or don’t show.
You're just making my point, how could you possibly know.

But the fact is that a majority of anti-asian hate crimes in the region are perpetrated by non-black people. If we falsely blame it all on black people, we cannot solve the problem, as we’re ignoring the fact that white and black people are both violently attacking asian people.
Not true at all, you can try to cite and twist these sources here and there to make your point but you cannot turn a blind eye to what's really happening in this area from that perspective. You have an agenda, I get it, but refusing to see the reality isn't making your case.

If you choose to look, you'll find several videos making this case and I've refrained from posting them here because it's sickening but they make the rounds locally on a regular basis. They show what's truly going on here and are not skewed by race or the media.

You don't have to agree, but your argument is false.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Not true at all, you can try to cite and twist these sources here and there to make your point but you cannot turn a blind eye to what's really happening in this area from that perspective. You have an agenda, I get it, but refusing to see the reality isn't making your case.
Others have provided sources showing that most anti-Asian hate crimes are committed by white people. You claim that anti-Asian crimes in SF are “almost exclusively” committed by black people.

Perhaps you could provide a source of data showing that anti-Asian crimes in the Bay Area are committed ”almost exclusively” by black people?

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t watch San Francisco local news. I cannot confirm nor deny what they show or don’t show. But the fact is that a majority of anti-asian hate crimes in the region are perpetrated by non-black people. If we falsely blame it all on black people, we cannot solve the problem, as we’re ignoring the fact that white and black people are both violently attacking asian people.
@SuperMatt It's a lost cause. I posted the article reporting that 75% of Anti-Asian hate was by white perps. You posted a link and so did the OP stating that 50% of hate crime in the reconstituted claim (the Bay Area) was committed by one perp. Earlier he posted a direct quote refuting his claim as proof of his rightness. 🤷‍♂️

An acquaintance who's lived in the Bay Area for more than fifty years (IIRC) said at the beginning of the Pandemic that Black people would be vilified as the only perpetrators of anti-Asian hate. He's reported early on about the perp committing 50% of the hate crime and how between that particular perp and another non-Black perp, the two of them committed a large majority of the crimes counted as anti-Asian hate. The bigger vandal was arrested, charged, convicted and was serving probation for past vandalism against mostly Asian businesses before the Pandemic and ramped up his hate fueled rampage once COVID-19 was called "China Flu," "Kung Flu," and "The China Virus." People will see only what they want to see. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom