BLM and history repeating itself

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Taken from a recent citations needed podcast. Buckle up and tell me if this sounds familiar.

Civil unrest breaks out because of inequality issues
The police state gets put in the spotlight
Crime goes up, but cause is advertised as being emboldened by civil unrest and not because of the conditions that caused the unrest
News media amps up their coverage of crime
More policing and incarceration are promoted as the only solution to the increased crime even though there is zero data showing that is a long-term solution. Compared to other countries if more policing and incarceration was the answer the US would be the safest country on earth. It is not.

This pattern has repeated itself throughout history and here we are. The primary purpose of the police for people in control is to crush any movement towards equality.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Taken from a recent citations needed podcast. Buckle up and tell me if this sounds familiar.

Civil unrest breaks out because of inequality issues
The police state gets put in the spotlight
Crime goes up, but cause is advertised as being emboldened by civil unrest and not because of the conditions that caused the unrest
News media amps up their coverage of crime
More policing and incarceration are promoted as the only solution to the increased crime even though there is zero data showing that is a long-term solution. Compared to other countries if more policing and incarceration was the answer the US would be the safest country on earth. It is not.

This pattern has repeated itself throughout history and here we are. The primary purpose of the police for people in control is to crush any movement towards equality.

Don't see this one happening. They don't want to cover it because it makes Dems look bad.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Don't see this one happening. They don't want to cover it because it makes Dems look bad.

The tired trope of the media refusing to post stories that make Democrats look bad is so silly... we were just talking about Al Franken a few minutes ago... did you see the “MSM” coverage of him at the time? And they were more than eager to pillory Hillary constantly.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score

It is happening. I frequently see news reports on liberal news sources talking about crime and increased crime concerns. The is one of those situations where it doesn’t matter if you are Republican or Democrat. The people at the top, regardless of political leaning, can’t have movements towards equality. They benefit too much from keeping people in their current situation.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Another interesting factoid from the podcast, wage theft done by corporations costs workers 50 – 100 billion dollars a year, 5 times more the value of all property crime combined. It very rarely gets investigated or prosecuted. Instead all the law enforcement and legal weight gets thrown at the guy who stole a TV.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

The tired trope of the media refusing to post stories that make Democrats look bad is so silly... we were just talking about Al Franken a few minutes ago... did you see the “MSM” coverage of him at the time? And they were more than eager to pillory Hillary constantly.

Wow! Nice article by CNN. Even mentioned defunding the police as a reason. Truly surprised by this. But what I don't know is how "front page" it was when they wrote it.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Wow! Nice article by CNN. Even mentioned defunding the police as a reason. Truly surprised by this. But what I don't know is how "front page" it was when they wrote it.

I know it’s a lot to listen to but some really interesting information in there and I’d sincerely be interested in hearing your take on it. Maybe pour yourself a drink and have a weekend listen. :)

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

I call bad journalism on that one. They don't cite any evidence pointing to a causal relationship. They just claim it as a contributing factor. I guess it brings eyeballs to their article.

OP
Chew Toy McCoy

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I call bad journalism on that one. They don't cite any evidence pointing to a causal relationship. They just claim it as a contributing factor. I guess it brings eyeballs to their article.

Thats because there is no evidence, now or in similar past circumstances. There’s plenty of evidence that supports improving economic conditions and expanded community outreach programs decreases crime, but again, the controlling elite regardless of party affiliation can’t allow movements towards equality. They need everybody to stay in their place. Thier only solution given is more police and more incarceration. They also won’t mention the desperation and crime caused by a family member being tossed in jail or rightly include the conditions that creates in their "public safety" concern.

The police didn’t get defunded and just like the military, police have to justify their budget. How do they do that? Create a perceived threat. Maybe ramp up actively looking for laws being broken. Where does the news get their crime stories and data? The police. That’s for the "logical conclusion/perception" people.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Remember all that talk about police quitting because the criticism by BLM hurt their feelings?

That was a massive load of 🐂💩

Interesting quote that should give people insight into why “defund” might actually make sense:

Fewer than 17% of 911 calls in Denver are about violent crime, CdeBaca says, and responding to 911 calls makes up only about a half of the work that the department does. “Half of their work is self-initiated,” she says. “How about we just focus on what citizens are asking you to do?”
Sounds like 83% of calls could be handled by somebody without a gun.

Last edited:

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It is happening. I frequently see news reports on liberal news sources talking about crime and increased crime concerns. The is one of those situations where it doesn’t matter if you are Republican or Democrat. The people at the top, regardless of political leaning, can’t have movements towards equality. They benefit too much from keeping people in their current situation.
I disagree with your assessment. Are you an Anarchist? :)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another piece of history still repeated? A cause's loudest critics are the ones often involved in the things the cause is being blamed for.

A self-described member of the 'Boogaloo Bois' has been charged with participating in a riot after he allegedly shot 13 rounds from an AK-47 style assault rifle into a Minneapolis Police Department building during the civil unrest following the death of George Floyd in late May.

Ivan Hunter, 26, is accused of traveling from Texas to Minneapolis to meet up with other members of the 'Boogaloo Bois' with the goal of carrying out acts of violence during the riots.

Federal investigators said they reviewed video of Hunter firing rounds with his AK-47 style assault rifle into the Third Precinct building while looters were still inside and that he also helped assist them in setting the building on fire.

According to an FBI affidavit, after shooting into the building Hunter hi-fived another individual and while walking towards the camera yelled, "Justice for Floyd!"

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another bit of history repeating itself, sending agencies to infiltrate

As students at the University of South Florida quietly sobbed during a moment of silence for George Floyd last summer, they had no idea their candlelight vigil, organized before a monument to an assassinated civil rights leader, had been infiltrated by federal agents.

They were not aware that the campus police department charged with their protection had invited federal drug cops to dress in plain clothes and stand beside them as they took turns venting their anger and frustration—fear over the growing number of unarmed Black people being shot dead by police.

The students weren’t the only ones being monitored.

At least 51 times last summer, drug enforcement agents were asked to surveil Americans engaged in First Amendment activities stemming from the backlash over Floyd’s murder. The requests to the DEA arrived from all over the country and came from all levels of government. Once approved, they resulted in a nationwide deployment of agency assets on the ground and in the air; covert agents and other intelligence tools and personnel; and in surveillance, both physical and electronic, the scope of which remains a mystery.

Amazing what it takes to motivate some law enforcement.

Oh, not the killing of PoC by police, it's vigils and lawful protests.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Another bit of history repeating itself, sending agencies to infiltrate

Amazing what it takes to motivate some law enforcement.

Oh, not the killing of PoC by police, it's vigils and lawful protests.
I could have sworn the excuse for not preventing 9/11 20 years ago was that the government isn’t allowed to spy on its own citizens.… 🤔

TBL

Power User
Reaction score
I love Citations Needed. And yes, they are completely on the mark on this one. The solution to every problem in America is always "more police, more incarcerations". It's the only way we know how to deal with things.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
A reminder from last year about history Vs the alternate reality of some...

FBh6XudWQAM83jF

When the Department of Homeland Security released its Homeland Threat Assessment last week, it emphasized that self-proclaimed white supremacist groups are the most dangerous threat to U.S. security. But the report misleadingly added that there had been “over 100 days of violence and destruction in our cities,” referring to the anti-racism uprisings of this past summer.

In fact, the Black Lives Matter uprisings were remarkably nonviolent. When there was violence, very often police or counterprotesters were reportedly directing it at the protesters.

Top Bottom