Bloomberg: M2 - Pro, Max, Ultra, Extreme; iMac Pro, Mac Pro.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gurman is back at it again with leaks. Here are his predictions for the M2 line:
  • M2: eight CPU cores and nine or 10 graphics cores
  • M2 Pro: 12 CPU cores and 16 graphics cores
  • M2 Max: 12 CPU cores and 32 graphics cores
  • M2 Ultra: 24 CPU cores and 48 or 64 graphics cores
  • M2 Extreme: 48 CPU cores and 96 or 128 graphics cores
I don't know if it's him saving face, or that Apple canceled the M1 "Extreme", but he states the obvious: it doesn't make sense to launch an M1-based Mac Pro after M2 devices have launched. Gurman implies that an iMac Pro is still in the works, alongside the Mac Pro, but those aren't coming anytime soon. He also goes into detail about what he expects from the consumer and professional Macs through 2023. Nothing too surprising to most of us that have been paying attention. He doesn't mention a third "mid-range" Apple monitor that would sit between the Apple Studio Display and the upcoming 7K XDR.

Looks like @Cmaier was correct about the Mac Pro being based upon M2. So, either something changed with the 40-core M1 that Gurman had originally rumored, or this was the plan all along and he was simply incorrect. Also, this does mean that Apple is likely to miss its roughly 2-year deadline, but most folks won't care, given the small market that the Mac Pro targets.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gurman is back at it again with leaks. Here are his predictions for the M2 line:
  • M2: eight CPU cores and nine or 10 graphics cores
  • M2 Pro: 12 CPU cores and 16 graphics cores
  • M2 Max: 12 CPU cores and 32 graphics cores
  • M2 Ultra: 24 CPU cores and 48 or 64 graphics cores
  • M2 Extreme: 48 CPU cores and 96 or 128 graphics cores
I don't know if it's him saving face, or that Apple canceled the M1 "Extreme", but he states the obvious: it doesn't make sense to launch an M1-based Mac Pro after M2 devices have launched. Gurman implies that an iMac Pro is still in the works, alongside the Mac Pro, but those aren't coming anytime soon. He also goes into detail about what he expects from the consumer and professional Macs through 2023. Nothing too surprising to most of us that have been paying attention. He doesn't mention a third "mid-range" Apple monitor that would sit between the Apple Studio Display and the upcoming 7K XDR.

Looks like @Cmaier was correct about the Mac Pro being based upon M2. So, either something changed with the 40-core M1 that Gurman had originally rumored, or this was the plan all along and he was simply incorrect. Also, this does mean that Apple is likely to miss its roughly 2-year deadline, but most folks won't care, given the small market that the Mac Pro targets.

I’m very wise.

Next I predict that RAM on the M2 Extreme will still be “built in” and capped at 1TB (Or maybe half that).

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
My 2nd wild rumor: M2 => ray tracing in GPU.

If so, I would hope it is not the beta variant, like Turing...

Next I predict that RAM on the M2 Extreme will still be “built in” and capped at 1TB (Or maybe half that).

LPDDR5X should allow 1TB RAM on a quad Max SoC configuration, with 2TB/s UMA bandwidth...

I would predict 4-way UltraFabric and LPDDR5X RAM are a few of the things holding up the ASi Mac Pro...

Top Bottom
1 2