BMW unveils technology that allows to change exterior color at CES 2022

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
That will be a $30,000 option......

Kidding aside, that is damn impressive. If it is anywhere close to being reasonably priced IF it makes it to production RIP wraps.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I saw this earlier today, it’s just, holy hell, could you imagine not having to worry about choosing a color?

Today I think I’ll drive silver, tomorrow? Maybe black.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that feature is turned off while driving. Drivers are already easily distracted, color changing on the fly cars sounds like an unintended nightmare waiting to happen. Drivers can't drive past a car safely on the side of the road without rubber necking, THIS?!!! 🤦‍♂️

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
the real question is cant you read on this car? its just a e ink screen so it should do text right?

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
That will be a $30,000 option......

Kidding aside, that is damn impressive. If it is anywhere close to being reasonably priced IF it makes it to production RIP wraps.

No it”ll be a subscription option 😜

Somehow I feel like the DMV and Police might take issue with this feature.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
No it”ll be a subscription option 😜

Somehow I feel like the DMV and Police might take issue with this feature.
Exactly my thought, and all those bank robbery movies wouldn't have to have the elaborate changing the car color scenes.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thought, and all those bank robbery movies wouldn't have to have the elaborate changing the car color scenes.

If we were in the 90’s and BMW was still doing product placement in 007 movies, this technology would definitely be featured in a chase scene.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that feature is turned off while driving. Drivers are already easily distracted, color changing on the fly cars sounds like an unintended nightmare waiting to happen. Drivers can't drive past a car safely on the side of the road without rubber necking, THIS?!!! [emoji2357]

Good point actually. We should also have technology that stops smartphones being used while traveling at speed for the same reason.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Good point actually. We should also have technology that stops smartphones being used while traveling at speed for the same reason.

We do, but it can be overridden because it would be extra tricky to ID the driver vs. a passenger (there are ways, but it would require additional car<>device communication/APIs, use of a phone key, etc.)

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
We do, but it can be overridden because it would be extra tricky to ID the driver vs. a passenger (there are ways, but it would require additional car<>device communication/APIs, use of a phone key, etc.)

I sure hope this can be further enforced- I’ve already been in an accident with a driver t-boning me of the road while texting, and have lost my tolerance for that kind of behaviour since.

Top Bottom
1 2