Bonsai Tree Basics

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny enough I watched this yesterday, which I didn't even know is a thing.

It looks too much like a coconut growing. I like the exposed roots. The most interesting thing is how it appears that the main trunk is cut into multiple limbs because they are usually trees not bushes (from coconuts). Of interest is how this will look in 5 years.

Winds up looking like some kind of bug. Seems like a lot of work.
Agree with the bug comment. :)

Agreed "the easy way" makes me scared of what the hard way would be, but it is unique. and as you know, I'm a big fan of bugs. ;)
This is right up your alley. :D

I would choose this instead. I have become enamored with it:

6260785E-84F0-432F-8784-6A051C025335.jpeg
Money Tree​

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This Money Tree is the second plant I have purchased at the local grocery store of all places. It’s an interesting looking plant and way it is presented reminds me of a bonsai-like plant. It was created by growing 5 stalks/plants together. I’m not sure if these are 5 separate plants or a single plant. The bases are woody and about 1” diameter each and gracefully reduce in size the further up the stalk making them look like miniature tree trunks. Do people turn these into bonsai? The reason I posted in this forum is a question about pruning. This plant wants to grow rapidly and has sent out longish shoots practically doubling the plants size in the matter of a month.

If the purpose is to keep this plant small and bonsai-like, the new growth is out of scale with the rest of the plant . I’m going to assume, but am asking advice about, that to keep this plant under control, I should aggressively prune the new growth?

Thanks! :)

C5E6A199-FF4A-428A-B2EC-19EE7A702B4F.jpeg
Before

E19098F1-6FE1-4562-A934-A41307FAE24E.jpeg
After​

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
lots of work and daily watering. the roots are shallow enough that the tree is slow growing. there are nice dwarf trees now you can have a tree stay small with normal work.
this guy grows maybe 1/2" a year. I have found a several really small guys that will stay small. I lost a few as they dried out too fast. a dwarf ginkgo.
View attachment 4289View attachment 4290
Speaking of losing a few, my little juniper got fried. I look at it often, but not daily, last year the routine worked all summer, this summer in this heat wave I walked out back and it had turned brown.

4E6B27E5-9A3F-4D53-AA37-BC516ED73BE9.jpeg
From this

C99C0355-F593-4041-BA74-6F307867CBC1.jpeg
To this​
It either dried out or, with this heat wave, I’m wondering if the roots can overheat? I keep it in a location where it get’s part sun, but the heat has been brutal this year earlier than normal. I brought it inside and placed in a kitchen window to see if it would recover or not.

i knew the terms on bonsai, especially in a hot climate and it is making me rethink if I want to mess with this obligation. Another option, might be a heartier succulent style plant. I happen to have 2 potted Red Stem Elephant Bush plants (Jade plant, Portulacaria), one with variegated leaves that I am experimenting with shaping into a bonsai look. These guys laugh at sun and heat, asking for more, I just don’t know how shapeable they are. :unsure:

721E1655-38B2-4F14-80AD-64B604B92948.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2