Books: And What Are You Reading?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The second book is very good, (and yes, it does get depressing - Sanderson loves putting his characters through some serious if not traumatic punishment) but - to be honest, - I preferred the first book (The Final Empire), which I think genuinely excellent; the third book is - to my mind - the most depressing.

However, Elend's growth and development in the second book are exceedingly well done, (in any case, I like Elend, and I also very much like his relationship with Vin), and I'm always appreciative of any scene that features Sazad.

Besides, I really liked the crew, especially Vin, (and I especially loved her training in all of the various disciplines, spy craft as much as magical warfare), the setting, the magic duels (brilliantly written), the balls in the various Great Houses, and the culture, economics, religion and politics of this world.
Gosh, this bothers me the notion of this story having an overall description of being depressing, because while we humans can take downer stories on occasion where the bad guys win, it’s not something that we seek out. In most occasions, we (I ;)) prefer stories with positive or uplifting endings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like Brandon Sanderson’s novels. I really enjoyed “The Way of Kings” which is the first part in a proposed 10-novel series. I’ve read the first 2 books of the series now and I’m working on the 3rd. I believe the 4th book is out too and the 5th is underway.
Do you agree with the Mistborn Trilogy being described as depressing? Apparantly it is because I’ve heard the comment a couple of times, at least some readers feel it is.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Gosh, this bothers me the notion of this story having an overall description of being depressing, because while we humans can take downer stories on occasion where the bad guys win, it’s not something that we seek out. In most occasions, we (I ;)) prefer stories with positive or uplifting endings.

A Sanderson book that is - not so much, "not depressing" - as strangely moving and actually, quite uplifting (and also, - equally unusual for Sanderson - blessedly short) is the novella The Emperor's Soul.

I really liked it.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Okay, a bit bleak at times, rather than "depressing".

However, there are other authors whose work I prefer.

D

Deleted member 215

These just arrived from Barnes & Noble:

IMG_1374.jpg

Looking forward to reading some of her work; so far only read a few of her articles and reviews (I also listened to a fascinating analysis of her politics in a recent podcast episode).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Just re-read and appreciated anew Isabel Allende's A Long Petal of the Sea, a novel with roots in history on both sides of the Atlantic, reaching back to the 1930s in Spain and then in Chile through the 1970s.

Based in part on accounts from the life of a long time friend (Victor Pey, recently deceased at age 103) of Ms. Allende, the novel centers on personal travails and triumphs of some of the 300 Chilean immigrants whose safe passage from Spain on the ship Winnipeg --during the atrocities of the Spanish Civil War and the onset of the Franco regime-- was funded by the Chilean poet and leftist activist Pablo Neruda.

Ms. Allende's father was a first cousin of Salvador Allende, the Chilean president from 1970-73 who was deposed in a right wing military coup later outed as having been assisted by some corporate and government efforts in the USA. She was born in Peru while her father, a Chilean diplomat, had been posted to Lima. She still considers herself "primarily Chilean" because of her upbringing, although like many other prominent Chileans who survived the Pinochet regime, she lived in exile during those years, having fled Chile in 1975 after assassination threats, meanwhile having helped other people on Pinochet's "wanted" list escape elsewhere. She has become a US citizen.

A Long Petal of the Sea is one of only a handful of Allende's books that I've read... The House of the Spirits is another great read that a number of people here may recognize and will have enjoyed as an exemplar of magical realism. Isabel Allende is a prolific author with due diligence on research before and while writing. I remember reading an interview in which she acknowledged having to set aside a planned novel about Haiti during initial research because she found its history so distressing. She returned to the work later, however, and that book eventually became Island under the Sea, another of her highly acclaimed historical novels.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Just re-read and appreciated anew Isabel Allende's A Long Petal of the Sea, a novel with roots in history on both sides of the Atlantic, reaching back to the 1930s in Spain and then in Chile through the 1970s.

Based in part on accounts from the life of a long time friend (Victor Pey, recently deceased at age 103) of Ms. Allende, the novel centers on personal travails and triumphs of some of the 300 Chilean immigrants whose safe passage from Spain on the ship Winnipeg --during the atrocities of the Spanish Civil War and the onset of the Franco regime-- was funded by the Chilean poet and leftist activist Pablo Neruda.

Ms. Allende's father was a first cousin of Salvador Allende, the Chilean president from 1970-73 who was deposed in a right wing military coup later outed as having been assisted by some corporate and government efforts in the USA. She was born in Peru while her father, a Chilean diplomat, had been posted to Lima. She still considers herself "primarily Chilean" because of her upbringing, although like many other prominent Chileans who survived the Pinochet regime, she lived in exile during those years, having fled Chile in 1975 after assassination threats, meanwhile having helped other people on Pinochet's "wanted" list escape elsewhere. She has become a US citizen.

A Long Petal of the Sea is one of only a handful of Allende's books that I've read... The House of the Spirits is another great read that a number of people here may recognize and will have enjoyed as an exemplar of magical realism. Isabel Allende is a prolific author with due diligence on research before and while writing. I remember reading an interview in which she acknowledged having to set aside a planned novel about Haiti during initial research because she found its history so distressing. She returned to the work later, however, and that book eventually became Island under the Sea, another of her highly acclaimed historical novels.

I must say that I absolutely love Isabel Allende's work.

A former student (a mature - i.e. second chance student, a gay former seminarian and later, a feminist, a publisher of feminist books, who resurrected a feminist publishing house, and became a good friend) of mine (warmly, even passionately) recommended her writing to me.

He told me that A House of the Spirits was (and is) one of his two favourite books (the other was a work he also insisted that I read: A book by Margaret Craven with the title I Heard The Owl Call My Name).

Anyway, I read it, and loved it.

Another student (former student, in fact the very best student I ever had, now a barrister and lecturer in law, also a passionate feminist, and a good friend, and also the mother of an autistic boy, @Apple fanboy will know of her, as I have written about her, before), - who also adores the writing of Isabel Allende - gave me a gift of Daughter of Fortune and Portrait in Sepia (two works that if you love The House of the Spirits, you should also like - I thought them brilliant).

I have also read The Stories of Eva Luna, The Infinite Plan, (and loved them) and one of her books for children, City of the Beasts, a series that my publisher friend (former student) professed himself disappointed by.

And a very good friend of my mother's gave my mother a copy of Paula, Isabel Allende's account of the life (and tragic death) of her daughter, the eponymous Paula.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
The latest book I can't put down is Edward Dolnick's The Writing of the Gods: the Race to Decode the Rosetta Stone.

cover art Edward Dolnick The Writing of the Gods.jpg

Dolnick was formerly chief science writer for the Boston Globe and has written as well for the NYT Magazine and The Atlantic. His book on the Rosetta Stone is presented as an historical thriller. The main thread is the decades-long competition between a Frenchman and a British citizen to understand the hieroglyphs and an unfamiliar script presented along with some ancient Greek on the now famous Rosetta Stone, which was found in some rubble being used as construction materials in the Egyptian town where the French were repairing a fortress during the Napoleonic wars. The competition over the stone was not only about translation but about physical possession, since the British eventually won in Egypt and the French by then were extremely loathe to give up the stone which was already the subject of deciphering efforts.

The book is also a fascinating briefing on the primary differences between cryptology and deciphering an ancient language: the one attempts to break a code meant to obscure plain meaning, but the other, while having some procedural similarities, is more often about attempting to understand what the writer meant to reveal, not conceal.

Dolnick presents the race to decipher the Rosetta stone's hieroglyphs as a major stepping stone in human efforts to understand how language itself developed in ancient times from sounds to pictures to scripted writing, and how the idea that "pictures" offered up by the hieroglyphs tended for a long time to distract the decipherers from the fact that the script included on the tablet along with sections in Greek and in hieroglyphs was not a separate language but merely a shorthand and alternative way --the language of documents-- of communicating the same message as that of the "pictures" in the first section of the tablet, and in fact the hieroglyphs represented not pictures of "ideas" but representations of sounds, the same as other languages, in order to make nuance and complexity of expression possible past what paintings alone can do.

Along the way Dolnick relays observations of linguists and neurologists that probably haven't occurred to most of us, e.g., that while humans evolved to be able from infancy to sort out sounds, understand their meaning and eventually to speak a native language with fluency --any language, and indeed more than one-- we have not yet evolved to where literacy is also something we're quite so wired to pick up without help. As a result, understanding ancient languages is inherently a guessing game when the last native speaker is long gone, if we don't have some handy "crib sheet" turn up for help in translation efforts.
With the Rosetta Stone, the world got lucky and ended up with more than one crib sheet, since the original content was a decree on behalf of the Ptolemaic dynasty that among other things mandated replication of the decree's entire contents and distribution to all the temples in Egypt, all to be presented in hieroglyphs, Greek and the shorthand "language of documents" of the time. So, some but not all of the eventual cracking of the hieroglyphs came down to realizing that more fragments of replicated tablets, and so more of the content of the entire decree were probably available, and indeed several did come to light, and eventually not only from the reign of Ptolemy V but of other pharaohs of that dynasty as well.

Great book, and sticks to the main topic efficiently while providing just enough historical context along the way to let a reader go on to explore more of it as desired. Honestly I'm lucky this was very recently published, because it was in 2020 that my annual "deep dive" summer project was centered on issues of literary translation. This thing might well have sidetracked me more to linguistics and away from literary issues that summer. A narrow escape and probably just as well as still have sub projects and a pile of books left over from that 2020 deep dive!

D

Deleted member 215

^Excellent book. I'm interested in what else you were reading during your summer of literary translation (though in my case heading more toward linguistics would be fine with me since that's what I studied in college, among other things). :)

lizkat

Reaction score
^Excellent book. I'm interested in what else you were reading during your summer of literary translation (though in my case heading more toward linguistics would be fine with me since that's what I studied in college, among other things). :)

I can't recommend highly enough a book edited by Esther Allen and Susan Bernofsky, In Translation. It's an anthology of pieces by writers and translators with a wide range of focus, from the nitty gritty detail like "ugh, there's no word for this" to the broader stuff like "the culture of the original can get waylaid in translation, even if the idioms used are correct parallels".

That summer I read interviews of writers and translators (sometimes in the same interview, which was interesting) from Paris Review archives, and some books I bumped into along the way about situations where particular issues of culture or custom became stumbling blocks for awhile. In some cases I was reading parts of the same books in a few different languages that were worked on by different translators. I liked a couple articles I found that were about re-translation issues, particiularly of either ancient or very well known more modern works. There's a good piece by Rachel Cooke in the Guardian which got me interested in what makes people decide that translation is "their thing"...

Hah, it all started out when someone at MR mentioned some novel that was written in Portuguese and i decided to take a shot at learning some of that on the fly, since there was no English translation but I had some background in Romance languages.

From there it spun off into a project about translation issues, and kept expanding, until I was off in the weeds of stuff like what exactly happens to a writer's ideas within the mind of the reader of an English version of a novel, when the original was written in Italian as the second language of an Indian author, and the translator's native language is English. I found I was actually more interested in the translators taking up these projects than I was in either the novels or their writers.

Along those lines, a book from that summer's deep dive does stand out in memory: David Karashima's Who We're Reading When We Read Murakami. Right from the epigraph he used in his preface, I knew this was what I was looking to explore:

"The first three novels I read by Murakami . . . were all translated by Alfred Birnbaum. When I finished the books, I was mildly curious to know more about Murakami; I was desperate to know more about Birnbaum. —WENDY LESSER, Why I Read"​

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
One of life's strange coincidences happened yesterday when I was at the library: the new book by Dave Grohl, The Storyteller, was sitting on the "new books" shelf, eye-catchingly displayed cover-out bookstore style, just ready and waiting for me to pick up, which I immediately did. Some may ask, who's Dave Grohl? Just a guy born in Ohio and raised right here in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, who loved music and had a gift for it from an early age and who, before graduating, left high school to explore the world of sounds converted to music, first with a local DC-area band called "Scream," eventually becoming associated with Nirvana, and now best known for forming The Foo Fighters. I'm sure some of you have heard of them.....

The coincidence? Many years ago a good friend introduced me to The Foo Fighters and while there were some songs they put out that I didn't much care for there were others which definitely appealed to me. My friend and I would play their albums when we got together and we each collected them as they came out. It was yet another connection which bonded us. Yesterday was my friend's birthday. Sadly, she is no longer here to celebrate it, so I had my own little celebration by listening to the Foo Fighters and reading Dave Grohl's book. Like his mother, Virginia Grohl, who has written her own book and as he has already demonstrated with the lyrics to various Foo Fighters songs, he's a very good writer.

Foo Fighters music and a fascinating memoir/storytelling book by its founder: yeah, it was a nice way to honor my friend on her special day....

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The latest book I can't put down is Edward Dolnick's The Writing of the Gods: the Race to Decode the Rosetta Stone.

View attachment 11790

Dolnick was formerly chief science writer for the Boston Globe and has written as well for the NYT Magazine and The Atlantic. His book on the Rosetta Stone is presented as an historical thriller. The main thread is the decades-long competition between a Frenchman and a British citizen to understand the hieroglyphs and an unfamiliar script presented along with some ancient Greek on the now famous Rosetta Stone, which was found in some rubble being used as construction materials in the Egyptian town where the French were repairing a fortress during the Napoleonic wars. The competition over the stone was not only about translation but about physical possession, since the British eventually won in Egypt and the French by then were extremely loathe to give up the stone which was already the subject of deciphering efforts.

The book is also a fascinating briefing on the primary differences between cryptology and deciphering an ancient language: the one attempts to break a code meant to obscure plain meaning, but the other, while having some procedural similarities, is more often about attempting to understand what the writer meant to reveal, not conceal.

Dolnick presents the race to decipher the Rosetta stone's hieroglyphs as a major stepping stone in human efforts to understand how language itself developed in ancient times from sounds to pictures to scripted writing, and how the idea that "pictures" offered up by the hieroglyphs tended for a long time to distract the decipherers from the fact that the script included on the tablet along with sections in Greek and in hieroglyphs was not a separate language but merely a shorthand and alternative way --the language of documents-- of communicating the same message as that of the "pictures" in the first section of the tablet, and in fact the hieroglyphs represented not pictures of "ideas" but representations of sounds, the same as other languages, in order to make nuance and complexity of expression possible past what paintings alone can do.

Along the way Dolnick relays observations of linguists and neurologists that probably haven't occurred to most of us, e.g., that while humans evolved to be able from infancy to sort out sounds, understand their meaning and eventually to speak a native language with fluency --any language, and indeed more than one-- we have not yet evolved to where literacy is also something we're quite so wired to pick up without help. As a result, understanding ancient languages is inherently a guessing game when the last native speaker is long gone, if we don't have some handy "crib sheet" turn up for help in translation efforts.
With the Rosetta Stone, the world got lucky and ended up with more than one crib sheet, since the original content was a decree on behalf of the Ptolemaic dynasty that among other things mandated replication of the decree's entire contents and distribution to all the temples in Egypt, all to be presented in hieroglyphs, Greek and the shorthand "language of documents" of the time. So, some but not all of the eventual cracking of the hieroglyphs came down to realizing that more fragments of replicated tablets, and so more of the content of the entire decree were probably available, and indeed several did come to light, and eventually not only from the reign of Ptolemy V but of other pharaohs of that dynasty as well.

Great book, and sticks to the main topic efficiently while providing just enough historical context along the way to let a reader go on to explore more of it as desired. Honestly I'm lucky this was very recently published, because it was in 2020 that my annual "deep dive" summer project was centered on issues of literary translation. This thing might well have sidetracked me more to linguistics and away from literary issues that summer. A narrow escape and probably just as well as still have sub projects and a pile of books left over from that 2020 deep dive!
Superb post, and this is a book I now wish to read.
I can't recommend highly enough a book edited by Esther Allen and Susan Bernofsky, In Translation. It's an anthology of pieces by writers and translators with a wide range of focus, from the nitty gritty detail like "ugh, there's no word for this" to the broader stuff like "the culture of the original can get waylaid in translation, even if the idioms used are correct parallels".

That summer I read interviews of writers and translators (sometimes in the same interview, which was interesting) from Paris Review archives, and some books I bumped into along the way about situations where particular issues of culture or custom became stumbling blocks for awhile. In some cases I was reading parts of the same books in a few different languages that were worked on by different translators. I liked a couple articles I found that were about re-translation issues, particiularly of either ancient or very well known more modern works. There's a good piece by Rachel Cooke in the Guardian which got me interested in what makes people decide that translation is "their thing"...

Hah, it all started out when someone at MR mentioned some novel that was written in Portuguese and i decided to take a shot at learning some of that on the fly, since there was no English translation but I had some background in Romance languages.

From there it spun off into a project about translation issues, and kept expanding, until I was off in the weeds of stuff like what exactly happens to a writer's ideas within the mind of the reader of an English version of a novel, when the original was written in Italian as the second language of an Indian author, and the translator's native language is English. I found I was actually more interested in the translators taking up these projects than I was in either the novels or their writers.

Along those lines, a book from that summer's deep dive does stand out in memory: David Karashima's Who We're Reading When We Read Murakami. Right from the epigraph he used in his preface, I knew this was what I was looking to explore:

"The first three novels I read by Murakami . . . were all translated by Alfred Birnbaum. When I finished the books, I was mildly curious to know more about Murakami; I was desperate to know more about Birnbaum. —WENDY LESSER, Why I Read"​

Two terrific posts.

Re translations, the rule (among the people I know who have done this) is that you translate into your own (native?) language.

This calls to mind a very good friend of mine - I have written of him in other posts - his father was a professor of German, and his mother (whom his father had met when he was a postgrad student in Germany, in the early fifties, not long after the war, not long after universities had reopened in Germany), was German, a German who was studying English, and who later also taught German at university, when she married the postgrad she had met in Germany (breaking an engagement with a German, her son informed me gleefully - something he himself only learned quite late - in order to do so), and returned with him to his country at a time when Germans weren't exactly welcome.

I liked the entire family - liberal, tolerant, decent, multi-lingual, passionate about music, books, culture, and always warm and welcoming, a wonderful place in my student days.

Anyway, his mother - who was a lovely person, with a terrific sense of humour - died a few months into the Covid pandemic (though of cervical cancer, not Covid) and, fortunately, my friend, her youngest son, (to whom she was very close) was with her when she died; the funeral was one of those tragic truncated Covid affairs - restricted to ten people, (which barely permitted children, spouses, and grandchildren) - which meant that I was unable to attend, whereas my friend had gone to considerable trouble to be present for both my mother's and father's funerals.

His father, the former professor of German, had died of cancer a little over twenty years ago, and my friend had become even closer to his mother in the intervening years. Among other things, he used to watch TV dramas with her (which reminded me of Decent Brother and Mother - they used to watch stuff like The Mentalist, which my mother adored, together; my friend's mother absolutely loved gritty German police procedurals, and those almost "Scandi-noir" German police dramas, which, thanks to cable, or satellite, they were able to watch together).

In any case, in addition to teaching, she had also translated books into German, and, after the death of her husband, this was something she started to do with her son, my friend, who, having avoided the German language as a student, (although his primary degree was in both English and German, and he grew up fluent in the language), and repudiated the culture, - an act of rebellion against his own family background, immersed as it was in German literature and culture - and against what German history represented - now found it a wonderful and profoundly moving and powerful source of bonding with his mother, as they translated works (poetry as well as prose) together, sometimes spending hours on the phone, as they teased their way through various words, phrases, sounds, and thoughts, discussing and debating, pondering phrases, meaning, tone, content and context.

He told me that he loved it, loved every minute of it, loved the intellectual challenge and the dissection, exploration and interrogation of language (for, he actually worked as an English teacher, and has been a Shakespearean actor among other things), loved that it brought him close to his mother via a mutual and joyful engagement with her native culture, - which she was able to acknowledge more easily and not just at the rarefied level of academic scholarship, and - though he didn't say this to me - I suspect that he has loved, too, how it has enabled him to take ownership of the German side of his family heritage, but on his terms.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Altered Carbon is such good classical cyberpunk material. The raunchy, techy content hide gem drops like this here:

He was the Patchwork Man.

Most virtual systems recreate you from self-images held in the memory, with a commonsense subroutine to prevent your delusions from impinging too much. I generally come out a little taller and thinner in the face than I usually am. In this case, the system seemed to have scrambled a myriad different perceptions from Kadmin’s presumably long list of sleeves*. I’d seen it done before, as a technique, but most of us grow rapidly attached to whatever sleeve we’re living in, and that form blanks out previous incarnations. We are, after all, evolved to relate to the physical world.

The man in front of me was different. His frame was that of a Caucasian Nordic, topping mine by nearly thirty centimeters, but the face was at odds. It began African, broad and deep ebony, but the color ended like a mask under the eyes, and the lower half was divided along the line of the nose, pale copper on the left, corpse white on the right. The nose was both fleshy and aquiline and mediated well between the top and bottom halves of the face, but the mouth was a mismatch of left and right sides that left the lips peculiarly twisted. Long straight black hair was combed manelike back from the forehead, shot through on one side with pure white. The hands, immobile on the metal table, were equipped with claws similar to the ones I’d seen on the giant Freak Fighter in Licktown, but the fingers were long and sensitive. He had breasts, impossibly full on a torso so overmuscled. The eyes, set in jet skin, were a startling pale green. Kadmin had freed himself from conventional perceptions of the physical. In an earlier age, he would have been a shaman; here, the centuries of technology had made him more. An electronic demon, a malignant spirit that dwelled in altered carbon and emerged only to possess flesh and wreak havoc.

*sleeve is an exchangeable physical body to which brain-stacks (the "soul") is inserted to make up a person.

Or this disturbingly visceral scene about how (probably illegal) street advertisements will become even more intrusive in the future:

Halfway up the block, a bulky automated vehicle rolled past me, hugging the curb. It looked pretty much like the robocrawlers that cleaned the streets of Millsport, so I paid no attention to it as it drew level. Seconds later, I was drenched in the machine’s imagecast.
. . . from the Houses from the Houses from the Houses from the Houses from the Houses from the Houses . . .
The voices groaned and murmured, male, female, overlaid. It was like a choir in the throes of orgasm. The images were inescapable, varying across a broad spectrum of sexual preference. A whirlwind of fleeting sensory impressions.

Genuine . . . Uncut . . . Full-sense repro . . . Tailored . . .

As if to prove this last, the random images thinned out into a stream of heterosex combinations. They must have scanned my response to the blur of options and fed directly back to the broadcast unit. Very high tech.

The flow ended with a phone number in glowing numerals and an erect penis in the hands of a woman with long dark hair and a crimson-lipped smile. She looked into the lens. I could feel her fingers.

Head in the Clouds,
she breathed. This is what it’s like. Maybe you can’t afford to come up here, but you can certainly afford this.

Her head dipped; her lips slid down over the penis. Like it was happening to me. Then the long black hair curtained in from either side and inked the image out. I was back on the street, swaying, coated in a thin sheen of sweat. The autocaster grumbled away down the street behind me, some of the more streetwise pedestrians skipping sharply sideways out of its ’cast radius.

I found I could recall the phone number with gleaming clarity.

Cyberpunk is misunderstood. These stories aren't about deprived (mostly male) fantasies. These are cautionary tales. And as such, we don't seem to heed the advice.

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
I posted about this elsewhere; the French classes have been taking place since late July.

The govt is paying for it, and AF (Alliance Française) are conducting the classes.

Online.

My French was quite good at school, and I loved the language & culture - but that is quite some time ago; however, I do have a fairly extensive dormant vocabulary in that language.

When I returned from Africa two years ago, the foreign ministry (because they wished to be able to deploy me on EU/CSDP capacity building missions & EOM (election observation missions) in Francophone regions, suggested (advised, strongly recommended) that I take up French classes.

Accordingly, I engaged the French husband (himself a teacher) of an old school friend (who herself was also a teacher) to give me private classes, an arrangement that worked well until my mother's health further deteriorated, which was followed by her death, whereupon my interest and motivation in many things (including French classes) vanished.

Towards the end of this January past, the foreign ministry contacted me with a view to ascertaining my interest in French classes to be run by AF (but paid for by them); then, before matters could proceed any further, Covid struck, putting paid to all such plans.

However, the classes - now held in an online format - were resurrected in July, and I have been suitably occupied since then.
If it’s okay with the mods you can create a French thread (if you want, of course). À la maison, on parlait principalement français, mais j’air rarement la chance de parler (ou écrire) français maintenant.

lizkat

Reaction score
Re translations, the rule (among the people I know who have done this) is that you translate into your own (native?) language.

Yes, and I find it interesting that while Murakami has worked with several translators of his own works into English, he is also widely known in Japan and its diaspora for his translations into Japanese of works written in American English, e.g. the short stories of Raymond Carver.

In any case, in addition to teaching, she had also translated books into German, and, after the death of her husband, this was something she started to do with her son, my friend, who, having avoided the German language as a student, (although his primary degree was in both English and German, and he grew up fluent in the language), and repudiated the culture, - an act of rebellion against his own family background, immersed as it was in German literature and culture - and against what German history represented - now found it a wonderful and profoundly moving and powerful source of bonding with his mother, as they translated works (poetry as well as prose) together, sometimes spending hours on the phone, as they teased their way through various words, phrases, sounds, and thoughts, discussing and debating, pondering phrases, meaning, tone, content and context.

He told me that he loved it, loved every minute of it, loved the intellectual challenge and the dissection, exploration and interrogation of language (for, he actually worked as an English teacher, and has been a Shakespearean actor among other things), loved that it brought him close to his mother via a mutual and joyful engagement with her native culture, - which she was able to acknowledge more easily and not just at the rarefied level of academic scholarship, and - though he didn't say this to me - I suspect that he has loved, too, how it has enabled him to take ownership of the German side of his family heritage, but on his terms.

That whole post is so touching, as well as a wonderful example of how a youngster can change after navigating all the difficult currents of childhood and adolescence.

Not least of course it's also an implied and effective argument against state-directed efforts to link language with contemporary politics to the extent of banning instruction --or even use of-- a particular language during times of war or commercial hostility.

In the USA during WWI there was a serious disruption of medical school curricula, thanks to ill-advised bans on instruction in German at all levels of education, and indeed instances of persecution of German-speaking American citizens. At that time the bulk of 'modern' medical research papers were still WRITTEN in German, so... heh, and so eventually to the era of postgraduate refresher courses for physicians, if one wishes to put a kinder light on a stupid decision.

There are other forms of state abuse of power related to official or tolerated languages. A government may extend prohibition of not only instruction but also usage in public of other than specified languages. Imagine if, in a country as diverse as the USA, all the shops that have long advertised fluency in languages other than English were suddenly prohibited from having those little signs in their windows... "Se habla español" or "Ici on parle français"...

Another even more insidious abuse is state tailoring of the official language(s) for political or propaganda purposes. We saw that in the Trump era when the administration decreed that official documents related to the budget should avoid use of certain words. The words were "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based" and "science-based." Further, in the case of at least the Centers for Disease Control, the agency was directed to use a substitute phrase for the newly banned "science-based", namely “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes." Now of course the Biden administration takes its turn at tweaking official language, altering the way in which immigration is viewed, e.g. proposing we stop using the term "illegal alien" in favor of a less judgmental "undocumented migrant". There are those who will note that whatever one wants to call the would-be immigrants, and regardless of which countries' policies one wishes to blame, our southern border situation remains untenable for citizen and non-citizen alike.

However, in that same vein of language-tinkering--for the sake of political aims-- went the country of Turkey, starting during the reign of Ataturk, all done then in the name of modernization and unification. What happened though, after the elimination of maybe as much as 40% of old Turkish vocabulary, was a generational gap in ability to communicate, and a growing inability of even historians and other researchers to understand older written documents. But Turkey has continued to tailor its language, e.g., removing words with Persian or Arabic roots, to the end that some older documents have now been re-translated two or three times to try to ensure accessibility to even basic information in the material, if not the document's more precise meaning and far better historical context.

In state manipulation of language could lie many a cautionary tale for any nation, but (perhaps largely because of social media?) most of us seem to be living in an era of transmission, not so much communication. Even translators end up pressured by these changes, and some have begun to assert more of their own views or personalities in the translation of material they are hired to work on, which in turn alters further whatever we end up reading, no matter who wrote it or in what language.

The lessons from that behavior may come rather late to salvage for the future some of what we now know about ourselves from history, if our ability to access that history --even if written in our various "native" languages-- continues to be diminished for political reasons or due to contemporary cultural preferences.

Anyway I salute your friend and his late parents, also your friends, for their respective attempts to preserve and extend the sense of the works they have treasured, taught or translated. At the very least translation is a multi-faceted process of communication between author and translator, and so it maintains human facility with language itself, the springboard from which we launch --and learn to understand-- so many of our other achievements.

lizkat

Reaction score
Lately I've been re-reading parts of Anna Reid's Borderland: A Journey Through the History of Ukraine. Read a review of this updated edition (Part Two was written after events of 2014) in the FT one day and decided to get it. The summary chronology (mid-800s through 2015) and details of that history in the earlier section alone were worth the price of the book. One wonders what Reid and the scholars she worked with are thinking now after Putin's latest moves...

cover art Anna Reid Borderland.jpg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished the Second in the Mistborn Trilogy, The Well of Ascension, and while it has a lot of gravity, I find I’m really enjoying that this story since book 1 is not predictable, and it ends on an upbeat note based on my standards, there is still hope no matter how much carnage there is. And then in the beginning of the next book, Hero of Ages, it starts with a kick-ass Mistborn fight. :D

CE51B434-DEF3-4886-9114-F3C02AB38FEF.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2