Books: And What Are You Reading?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Just finished Michael Connelly's The Law of Innocence, one of his "Lincoln Lawyer" series books. Also have another new Connelly book, one of the Bosch series, Fair Warning, which I'll probably start reading this evening. I really lucked out at the library to find both of them on the new books shelf!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
In recent weeks, (well, mainly over the past month, but, much of it over the past fortnight), I have read several books, mostly fantasy.

These have included:

The Empire Trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) by Janny Wurts and Raymond E Feist;

The Blue Sword, and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley;

The Leviathan Trilogy (Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath) by Scott Westerfield;

The Draconis Memoria Trilogy (The Waking Fire; The Legion of Flame; The Empire of Ashes) by Anthony Ryan;

The Privilege of the Sword - Ellen Kushner;

The Vanished Queen by Lisbeth Campbell.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Read a brief review in the FT of a book by the chief Brexit negotiator for the EU, based on his diaries and just released on May 6th. Sounds like it will be a great read, not sure my French is up to the task though, so I might have to wait for the release of the English translation this fall. I'll have a look at the Kindle preview of the French edition this afternoon and make up my mind! The King Lear quote is hilarious, or would be if not so tragic.

cover art - La Grande Illusion - Barnier.png

From the FT mention:

La Grande Illusion — Michel Barnier on Brexit, ‘baroque’ Boris and broken promises

]The “Great Illusion” of Barnier’s title, published in French on Thursday and in English in the autumn, is a reference to the book of the same name written more than a century ago by Norman Angell, who said war in Europe had been made improbable by the economic ties between nations — and who was quickly proved wrong by the first world war. Barnier also prefaces the book with the lament of King Lear, who in anguish beats his own head “that let thy folly in/And thy dear judgment out!”.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Today, for the first time in months - since the most recent lockdown shut their doors - I managed to visit the library.

Books....

Actually, I had received an email which informed me that a book (which has been "in transit" when libraries last shut) awaited me.

Imagine my delight, when, on my arrival in the library (to return one book), I realised that three books awaited me.

Two are on US history, - Ron Chernow - his biography of Grant - and James M McPherson - Battle Cry of Freedom - The American Civil War - and one falls under the heading of UK history (well, on the Raj, Women of the Raj: The Mothers, Wives, and Daughters of the British Empire in India by Margaret MacMillan).

Read a brief review in the FT of a book by the chief Brexit negotiator for the EU, based on his diaries and just released on May 6th. Sounds like it will be a great read, not sure my French is up to the task though, so I might have to wait for the release of the English translation this fall. I'll have a look at the Kindle preview of the French edition this afternoon and make up my mind! The King Lear quote is hilarious, or would be if not so tragic.

From the FT mention:

I just picked up my week-end FT today - was too distracted on Saturday & Sunday with the Covid vaccine, and too tired yesterday - as a consequence of the Covid vaccine - to venture out.

Must read the review, and keep an eye out for this book.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The first chapter of "Battle Cry of Freedom - The American Civil War" by James M McPherson is a must read, a superb analysis and synthesis (social, cultural, economic - and yes political - history) of the development of the United States in the first half of the nineteenth century.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
The first chapter of "Battle Cry of Freedom - The American Civil War" by James M McPherson is a must read, a superb analysis and synthesis (social, cultural, economic - and yes political - history) of the development of the United States in the first half of the nineteenth century.

I had heard good things about this book and am waiting for news of a corrected edition of the ebook, having seen a notice that there are numerous typos of which the publisher has been notified, so when the update comes out I might get it as a fairly concise but apparently well thought of presentation of that part of our history.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had heard good things about this book and am waiting for news of a corrected edition of the ebook, having seen a notice that there are numerous typos of which the publisher has been notified, so when the update comes out I might get it as a fairly concise but apparently well thought of presentation of that part of our history.

Actually, it is superb, the sort of book that is so good, and makes so many good points and thoughtful observations, that you have to take it slowly and re-read some sections, and paragraphs, to give yourself time to mull it over.

In tandem with it, I am also reading Ron Chernow's biography of Grant, who comes across as an extraordinarily attractive - and surprisingly sensitive - character.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Actually, it is supposed to be the best one volume book of the Civil War that has been written (or published).

The sources - and I love footnotes and citations - are commendably extensive at the bottom of each page, and - as a feminist - I like the fact that in addition to the central subject matter of race - and social class - the (economic and legal and cultural) position of women (especially some of whom were educated, and who were very prominent in both the abolitionist and temperance movements), is also touched upon and discussed.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
I'm moving into summer-read mode, I guess. Anyway I've put the Libby and Kindle widgets on my mobile devices. They conveniently remind me to keep turning pages in my summer ebook fare, mostly scarfed up from the local library and from Kindle Unlimited.

Not sure the books will be worth individual mention, as I've deliberately gone after stuff I figure I can pick up and put down after ten pages... and go back to it three hours later for another five pages... and not feel like I have to go back and figure out the motive of character A for attacking character B between the breakfast and lunch subplots.

Vague apologies in advance to any writers I may have offended by categorizing anyone's work as "summer fare". But I ain't readin' treatises on what's wrong with America over the summer, believe me. I'm up for some forgettable fiction, and if it turns out to be memorable instead, that's a bonus.

lizkat

Reaction score
As a break from lazing around through summer reading, I've taken up Carol Leonnig's book Zero Fail: The Rise and Fall of the Secret Service. It delves into the up-and-down reputation and path of the agency over the past nearly sixty years as it has attempted to build back from low points like JFK's assassination and the attempt on George Wallace's life that left him paralyzed from the waist down.

There's reference of course to some of the more well known incidents that made waves and headlines, whether for bravery beyond call of duty or for unacceptable behavior (no matter if it was accepted or shoved under rugs that Congress critters have often been willing enough to supply even while cutting budgets and whining about expenses and expanding agency duties). But there are lots of details of which I was unaware, too and some of them are pretty alarming but some very heartening. Leonnig interviewed more than 180 current and former Secret Service agents and their directors or managers in her research for the book.

The result is a real tome --more than 500 pages in print-- so I opted for the audiobook and have been listening to it for a half hour at a time so as not to become overwhelmed by it. I've found it fascinating and Leonnig seems to have been careful not to "take sides" in a political sense... if anything she sometimes seems to have extended more understanding to some of the less stellar characters in this important agency than their own colleagues or families may even have done, when it comes to assessing impact on protectees or others including taxpayers when she is discussing unprofessional behavior.

For once I'm actually listening to this book in the evenings while still fully awake, instead of my usual routine of taking it upstairs and setting an overoptimistic sleep timer to 30 minutes, having to rewind it next day!

lizkat

Reaction score
Reading Women of the Raj by Margaret McMillan.

Must be the summer of India... and I wish that one were available in ebook format, I imagine it will be an excellent read, and hope you will comment further in time.

I've just begun reading a book that's chronologically a big leap back from the era of the British Raj, to the earlier rise of British colonialism in India, based in expansion of the original charter and progress of the extraordinary "trading" outfit, the East India Company....which at some points was even granted permission to conduct military operations on behalf of the Crown.

Think about that for a moment. In the USA in modern times, as in Guatemala for instance, our imperialism and association with US companies has generally lain in more covert channels, e.g. CIA involvment in coups or anti-revolutionary maneuvers such as in Central or South America. It seems like a whole other thing when a country just flat out says by all means use whatever force needed to establish or strengthen our interests...​

Anyway my current book on southeast Asian and then specifically Indian history at the moment is by William Dalrymple, The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company. I have enjoyed a number of other India-related books by this author, so it was hard to resist picking this one up.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Must be the summer of India... and I wish that one were available in ebook format, I imagine it will be an excellent read, and hope you will comment further in time.

I've just begun reading a book that's chronologically a big leap back from the era of the British Raj, to the earlier rise of British colonialism in India, based in expansion of the original charter and progress of the extraordinary "trading" outfit, the East India Company....which at some points was even granted permission to conduct military operations on behalf of the Crown.

Think about that for a moment. In the USA in modern times, as in Guatemala for instance, our imperialism and association with US companies has generally lain in more covert channels, e.g. CIA involvment in coups or anti-revolutionary maneuvers such as in Central or South America. It seems like a whole other thing when a country just flat out says by all means use whatever force needed to establish or strengthen our interests...​

Anyway my current book on southeast Asian and then specifically Indian history at the moment is by William Dalrymple, The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company. I have enjoyed a number of other India-related books by this author, so it was hard to resist picking this one up.

I have The Anarchy in my bedroom (an excellent read).

Actually, I suspect that you'd love Margaret McMillan's "Women of the Raj" - she is an excellent historian, with an accessible and very welcoming style; this afternoon, I had raced through four chapters before I realised that I had done so.

Will write at greater length about it, when done.

lizkat

Reaction score
I have The Anarchy in my bedroom (an excellent read).

Actually, I suspect that you'd love Margaret McMillan's "Women of the Raj" - she is an excellent historian, with an accessible and very welcoming style; this afternoon, I had raced through four chapters before I realised that I had done so.

Will write at greater length about it, when done.

I may still pick up a used hardcopy or paperback version... in the morning I'm still usually able to get along in a print book without resorting to tiresome magnifying glasses of various kinds. Even taking breaks pretty often, my eyes tire before nightfall when it comes to reading printed materials where the font size and contrast are fixed.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

The other interesting thing about the East India Company was not just that it had permission to conduct military operations on behalf of the Crown.

Rather, it is that it had its own civil service - trained and recruited on competitive and meritocratic lines in East India College, Hailey, - and its own military - and trained them in its own military college (Addiscombe), - where, firstly, academic standards were more rigorous and were far higher than at Sandhurst, because appointment to a cadetship and subsequent approval and appointment to a commission (and indeed, promotion) were based mostly on merit.

Bright kids (say, parson's sons) - but who were not especially well off (and couldn't afford to purchase commissions in the regular Army) - with a bit of education, (Hodson, of Hodson's Horse had a degree from Cambridge), intellectual curiosity, (they were expected to learn local languages fluently), and an appetite for adventure, sought employment in the ranks of "John Company", where they received far better remuneration - the salaries were excellent, because one was not expected to have had access to independent private means, and they wanted to attract good candidates - than was the case in the Regular Army, where commissions were bought and idiotic aristocrats promoted mindlessly until the twin debacles of the Crimean war and the Indian Mutiny combined to introduce a recognition of the need for appointment and promotion in both the Army and Civil Service on the basis of merit, rather than inherited unearned rank and position based on wealth and social class.

Likewise, the standards the company set for appointment to and training in their bureaucracy were exceptionally high, and appointment and promotion were based on competition and merit; the company's civil service - which (after the mutiny, after the company was dissolved and the Crown took over its functions) became the fabled Indian Civil Service, and was considered to be the cream of the British civil service, bureaucracy, and imperial appointments.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I am in the middle of a novel by Paula McLain (excellent writer), which is a fictionalized account of Beryl Markham and her life, called Circling The Sun. It's an excellent read but unfortunately this eye thing has interrupted my usual pleasurable nighttime reading. Hopefully tonight or at least tomorrow night I'll be able to get back to the book! After I finish this I'll have to re-read West With the Night, Beryl's own autobiography. She was definitely a fascinating woman.

lizkat

Reaction score
Engaged in a re-read of Disappeared: A Journalist Silenced. It's an accounting by June Carolyn Erlick of the professional life, defiant independence and eventual abduction of Guatemalan journalist Irma Flaquer in 1980, during the corrupt regime of Fernando Romeo Lucas García, when his military had taken up just murdering political opponents. She was taken from her car after an attack during which one of her sons was fatally shot and was never seen again. Mind you this was one of several regimes back then that were at least covertly supported by the USA in the interests of private business, mostly the banana trade.

As an offset to that book, which is a sort of launch point for this year's deep dive into the history of several Central American countries while I round up more material, I'm pursuing a raft of at least somewhat lighter fare reserved from the e-book section of the local library. I've been enjoying two lately, one is Claire Messud's The Burning Girl, the other one by Jeff Backhaus, The Rental Sister.

And no, I'm not making much headway through my video-streaming queues this summer. Sometimes movies go better for me in winter and books in summer. No clue why really.

Top Bottom
1 2