Booze. Wine, Beer, Spirits, 'Nuf said

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
OK, we have had a few weeks on non-stop coincidences, and it apparently continues. :)

This is the bottle of wine Wife pulled out of the cooler - a Chilean Chard :D

View attachment 8883

And this is a meal where we'd usually not drink wine, and I mostly drink reds, she said, "I feel like wine, maybe a white!", and before I read your post I said, "Yeah, that seems like a good choice tonight".

This is from a friend who distributes organic sourced wines, vineyards use all sort of recycling, no chemicals, etc.
Chilean Chardonnay this Friday, for me, too.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I guess I should put my beer related post here, umm, can you port that over for me :)

It's currently here:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well, there's an IPA, and then there's AN IPA ... :D

Okay.

This particular beer - my second of this Hallowe'en evening - (the first one went by the name of a "Retro IPA") is a Double IPA.

Actually, it says that it clocks in at 8.0% ABV.

Tasting notes refer to "pine & grapefruit, stone fruits, and balanced bitterness".

However, the taste receptors on my tongue simply report a resounding "yum". Perhaps my palate is less sophisticated than I had thought.

And there are crisps......(chips to Our Transatlantic Cousins).

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
From Evil Twin Brewing?

Sounds deliciously appropriate for this weekend :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Had a couple of Hazy IPAs from Sierra Nevada at our weekly newsroom meeting at a local bar. What a wonderful brew.

It's a solid NEIPA, and pretty much __everything__ from Sierra Nevada is anywhere from very good to exceptional. Torpedo, is on a pretty constant rotation here at the World HQ, and I'm on deck waiting for Celebration to show up for the holiday season :D

If you get a chance to score some, Hoptimum is a spectacular, world class IIPA :cool:

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
A buddy liked Angry Orchard strawberry cider, so I decided to try my hand at brewing my own. I have two- one gallon carboys I loaded with apple juice and a pureed strawberry blend at 3 fluid ounces in one and 6 fluid ounces in the other.

My wife and I tried each this morning, and she preferred the 6 fluid oz which came out noticeably sweeter. Both are kegged so I'm waiting for them to slow carbonate before sampling any more.

I also kegged 5 gallons of a Chinook brown ale.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A buddy liked Angry Orchard strawberry cider, so I decided to try my hand at brewing my own. I have two- one gallon carboys I loaded with apple juice and a pureed strawberry blend at 3 fluid ounces in one and 6 fluid ounces in the other.

My wife and I tried each this morning, and she preferred the 6 fluid oz which came out noticeably sweeter. Both are kegged so I'm waiting for them to slow carbonate before sampling any more.

I also kegged 5 gallons of a Chinook brown ale.

Sounds wonderful.

Do enjoy.

Years ago (actually, decades ago) my father - whom I adored - and I, discussed (and debated, brooded over, and mulled over) producing homemade wines and beers.

As with much else, I think this sort of thing requires either expertise, or someone who knows what they are doing to teach those of us who haven't a clue what to do and how to do it.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful.

Do enjoy.

Years ago (actually, decades ago) my father - whom I adored - and I, discussed (and debated, brooded over, and mulled over) producing homemade wines and beers.

As with much else, I think this sort of thing requires either expertise, or someone who knows what they are doing to teach those of us who haven't a clue what to do and how to do it.
Actually, when they lifted the rules about homebrew, my dad and I got into it. We found a local home-brew shop, got a couple of books, and away we went. In the 20+ years since, a lot has changed, but the idea is still fundamentally the same. It's mostly like cooking/baking, but there is some equipment to make things easier.

It boils down to: sugar water+ flavorings + yeast + time = something maybe palatable.

My wife's grandfather made sweet wines, but only my BIL made any with him before he passed.

I have dietary restrictions, so I've gone way outside the normal beer types. I normally make Meads, Ciders and beers. At some point I may try my hand at a wine.

The best part at this point is that you can now go to a homebrew shop, pick up a small kit, and you are pretty much guaranteed something you can drink. From there, it's a slippery slope to a full blown hobby.

JohnR

Tesla & Steeler fan
Reaction score
The title of the thread is Booze...I love beer too, but please...get back on topic! hah

I got EXTREMELY lucky and walked into the local Liquor Barn and they were stacking the shelf by the front. Oh my! Stuff I have NEVER seen on the shelf anywhere, and here they were at RETAIL price!! Now mind you, I live within an hour of the distilleries that produce this stuff...you would think it would be common here. Unfortunately due to the secondary market and collectors, it is extremely hard to get these at retail price. That said, this stuff was all gone within the hour!

i-fQ3LxQD-X2.jpg

i-T7nXw7R-X2.jpg

My take from that day:
i-hCSNS9v-X2.jpg

That Weller Full Proof goes for around $3-350 secondary and this is a store pick. I got it for $59. The most expensive bottle there is the Blanton's, at $66

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A glass - or three - of Chilean Chardonnay shall keep me company this windswept Friday night (plus off stage sound effects of hailstones) that falls in late November.

Top Bottom
1 2