Booze. Wine, Beer, Spirits, 'Nuf said

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My Hobgoblin (a rather tasty British ruby ale) has been poured, and a packet of crisps have been emptied into an Italian bowl.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Poured a Hobgoblin.

Siping beer, nibbling on crisps, ("chips" to our transatlantic cousins) reading reviews o recently published (or about to be punished) books, and debating which of them on which to place an order at my library.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m 5 minutes away from cracking a bottle of Prosecco for mimosas. Who‘re you lookin’ at? Yes, I know it’s not even 8:45am. It’s Sunday. I’m not an alcoholic, you’re an alcoholic.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I’m 5 minutes away from cracking a bottle of Prosecco for mimosas. Who‘re you lookin’ at? Yes, I know it’s not even 8:45am. It’s Sunday. I’m not an alcoholic, you’re an alcoholic.
Prosecco for breakfast? How civilised. Sounds like a scene from the operetta The Student Prince.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Prosecco for breakfast? How civilised. Sounds like a scene from the operetta The Student Prince.
Indeed, I’m nothin’ if not classy af😉. Of the many things COVID has changed, my god, do I miss brunch. Yeah, it’s technically available, but the experience is too compromised. I’ve tried indoor dining on two recent occasions, and it’s just not fun for me now.

I eat out a lot normally. I enjoy it more than my wife, so I’d walk to my favorite pub at least a couple times a week for some lunch/drinks and chat, in addition to going out with her and friends.

We live in a restored mill building with a mix of residential and commercial spaces. Our favorite brunch place was right downstairs. Didn’t have to walk outside if there was a blizzard. It closed permanently right when COVID was getting serious. I’d usually wait for this first drink until they opened at 930.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sigh.

I haven't had a brunch, or a lunch, or a dinner out since Covid struck.

And I love, just love, fine dining (with wining...) preferably with congenial and engaging company.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I finished the Blanton and half the Grand Marnier cuvee du centenaire so it was a shopping day. I returned with these plus a couple dozen bottles of wines.
696AFDF2-C81A-4575-991A-3F6212BF7CD6.jpeg

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sigh.

And I love, just love, fine dining (with wining...) preferably with congenial and engaging company.

I had the same thought a few weeks ago, so I went out and got the ingredients for Micheladas and knocked one together this morning, along with a breakfast of sweet potato and salmon hash.

Tonight, we finally killed a bottle of wine from a friend's winery down in the Sonoita area by cooking it into a beef stew from one of Jacques Pepin's cookbooks, and then we ambled out to hear our neighbor's play bluegrass for a bit.

I've been working 6-days a week of late, and it was nice to goof off. Tomorrow, back into the fray with a Trump rally. I'm hoping the ingredients from the Michelada protects me from la 'rona.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I finished the Blanton and half the Grand Marnier cuvee du centenaire so it was a shopping day. I returned with these plus a couple dozen bottles of wines.

4 Roses is one of my "go tos", in fact, I can see a bottle of it from where I'm sitting :D I generally get the small batch, it's a nice step up from the "bulk batch" product for just a few more bucks.

Occasionally, our local grocery liquor store will run a special where it's discounted per bottle __and__ there's a $10 off for two. Next time that happens I'm going to see about getting a case.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, I saw - and tried - a new drink, basically it's an old fashion, with a fruit based bitter (which I usually do anyway, I use Angostura Orange), but instead of sugar, you use creme de cocoa.

Wow. It was excellent. The original recipe calls for peach bitters, but those aren't common (weren't at my store for sure), and I figured since I had orange already, the idea of orange + chocolate sounded even better.

iMi

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll just say this... ever since Trump was elected, I've got to know the Binny's employees on first-name basis. I was strolling down the isle when one of the guys stocking the shelves looked over and said "Hey Mike, how's it going? That'll get you guys through the weekend." True story. He was kidding of course.

Now I need to start wearing a thicker mask, sunglasses and a hat when I go to the store. :ROFLMAO:

58033901234__B0B13A3D-3717-46AB-8910-661CD7B1A936.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Sigh.

Was just thinking the other day how long it's been since what used to be a casual "hey let's run into town for lunch Thursday..." suggestion from one or another friend. Sometimes it was just popping over to a (now defunct) general store a township away for a grilled cheese san and mug of tomato soup. It wasn't about the fare, just keeping the grapevine going, since our own general store had given up the ghost years earlier when the post office contract expired and the re-up rate made the store nonviable.

As for wine, most of y'all know my drinking card was overenthusiastically punched out over 40 years ago, but I popped in here to stick this wonderful Bloomberg piece to the boards about the lengths to which some vineyards all around the winemaking world now go to innovate regarding organic pest management. Loved this article and the photos.

Top Bottom
1 2