Booze. Wine, Beer, Spirits, 'Nuf said

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw this thread tonight, then ran to the multi-use cabinet and poured me a shot of Wild Turkey 101. A lot of research went into this choice as my preferred Kentucky Burbon. 😋

123FAA4E-56CC-41E3-B26B-98D1E61F2CC7.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that this was Hunter S Thompson's favourite beverage.
There are smoother, albeit blander whiskeys out there. At one point I thought that just a good whiskey taste would be the ideal, but the smoother whiskeys were not as good to me. I determined that the strength of a slight burn on the way down was part of the appeal. I might assume that part of this is due to a high proof, but really not sure if the burn can be removed from a beverage with 50% or greater alcohol content.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

If you like that Wild Turkey and the sort of flavor profile you suggested, try a bottle of Old Forester 100 Proof. It's insanely inexpensive (in most places) for the product, punches well above its weight, and I think it'll blow your mind :)

It's got a fairly spicy rye content with a good complimenting traditional bourbon spiciness, works great straight, it's an excellent mixer too.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
There are smoother, albeit blander whiskeys out there. At one point I thought that just a good whiskey taste would be the ideal, but the smoother whiskeys were not as good to me. I determined that the strength of a slight burn on the way down was part of the appeal. I might assume that part of this is due to a high proof, but really not sure if the burn can be removed from a beverage with 50% or greater alcohol content.

Ah: Each to their own, but, what you describe as "that slight burn" is exactly what I dislike about the less smooth whiskies.

Personally, my preferences re alcohol don't really lie with spirits, and, on the rare occasion when I do partake of a glass of whisky, or cognac, (or - even - port), I treasure - and seek out - the quality of "smoothness" (which, yes, seems to co-relate with both age, and quality, and also, for that matter, expense).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I foun
@Huntn

If you like that Wild Turkey and the sort of flavor profile you suggested, try a bottle of Old Forester 100 Proof. It's insanely inexpensive (in most places) for the product, punches well above its weight, and I think it'll blow your mind :)

It's got a fairly spicy rye content with a good complimenting traditional bourbon spiciness, works great straight, it's an excellent mixer too.
I found some and will give it a go. :) Sadly when I did my whiskey research several years ago, I kept poor notes and don’t remember if this is a brand I have tried or not, but I am familiar with the name.

Top Bottom
1 2