Booze. Wine, Beer, Spirits, 'Nuf said

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@Gutwrench: We have discussed mothers, and relationships and memories. Mine was a hoot, too.

Mother liked her "wodka", (her expression, uttered with a grin), and yes, she was also partial to whisky, or whiskey (she liked several of the Irish whiskies, such as Jameson, or Redbreast).

She rarely sipped, sampled, savoured, beer, - only ever on foreign holidays with my father, a small glass on hot days; she didn't really like it all that much.

And, truth be told, she didn't much care for wine, either, but classy, middle class people were supposed to like it, and supposed to want to order it and drink it with dinner.

I used to love it whenever she ordered wine while dining out, (or had it with dinner at home). Then, after a few dutiful sips, if it could be managed discreetly, the glass would slide across the tablecloth towards me, with the added instruction, or suggestion, which invariably went along the lines of, "why don't you finish this." Actually, sometimes the instruction was a more abrupt, "here, you finish this."

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
@Gutwrench: We have discussed mothers, and relationships and memories. Mine was a hoot, too.

Mother liked her "wodka", (her expression, uttered with a grin), and yes, she was also partial to whisky, or whiskey (she liked several of the Irish whiskies, such as Jameson, or Redbreast).

She rarely sipped, sampled, savoured, beer, - only ever on foreign holidays with my father, a small glass on hot days; she didn't really like it all that much.

And, truth be told, she didn't much care for wine, either, but classy, middle class people were supposed to like it, and supposed to want to order it and drink it with dinner.

I used to love it whenever she ordered wine while dining out, (or had it with dinner at home). Then, after a few dutiful sips, if it could be managed discreetly, the glass would slide across the tablecloth towards me, with the added instruction, or suggestion, which invariably went along the lines of, "why don't you finish this." Actually, sometimes the instruction was a more abrupt, "here, you finish this."

Sweet memories. ❤️

U

User.45

Best IPA I've ever had. Got one from one of my junior residents to cheer me up. It definitely worked, but I'm also depressed I can't get it where I live now.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Over the past few nights, I have sipped, savoured, and thoroughly enjoyed a splendid red wine from Burgundy, in France: Côtes des Nuits Villages.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've become a big fan of citrus-style beers, including some Goses, and beers from a new place here called Motosonora.

I've also been traipsing through Sonora again, which means I've got bottles of hand-made bacanora—a less-smoky mescal made from the agave pacifica. Until 1992, Bacanora was illegal so there's a long tradition of bootleggers making the stuff with families each having their own vinateros, but the practice has become increasingly modernized with pop-up distilleries throughout Sonora.

I usually make a hibiscus syrup and serve it with bright fruit and a Topo Chico in a glass topped with Taijin.

BTW, the news that Topo Chico is going to make a hard-seltzer has become an internecine fight among friends—with purists calling "hard-seltzer" sacrilege, while those who have been bombing White Claws during conference calls are excited.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I'm a fan of really "juicy" IPAs with a ton of citrus-y hops (Citra, Amarillo), and I've really gotten into the hazy variants of those. Stone Hazy Tangerine, Sixpoint Bengali. Super drinkable by themselves, or with food, especially something that's got a little spicy kick.

Yeah, the rise in popularity of the "hard seltzer" has been interesting, everyone is making one, I picked up a couple of 6-packs a few weeks ago from Funky Buddha - I mean, they're pretty good for beach, boat, where you're out in the heat, and want something that's "lite", an easy drink, doesn't get quite so nasty as it warms up.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a fan of really "juicy" IPAs with a ton of citrus-y hops (Citra, Amarillo), and I've really gotten into the hazy variants of those. Stone Hazy Tangerine, Sixpoint Bengali. Super drinkable by themselves, or with food, especially something that's got a little spicy kick.

Yeah, the rise in popularity of the "hard seltzer" has been interesting, everyone is making one, I picked up a couple of 6-packs a few weeks ago from Funky Buddha - I mean, they're pretty good for beach, boat, where you're out in the heat, and want something that's "lite", an easy drink, doesn't get quite so nasty as it warms up.

A Citrana with some barbacoa tacos. Yum. I haven't had Sixpoint, might have to make a run.

I thought the hard-seltzer thing was ridiculous at first, but I agree. They're good on the beach. I'm actually interested in what Topo Chico comes up with.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A Citrana with some barbacoa tacos. Yum. I haven't had Sixpoint, might have to make a run.

I thought the hard-seltzer thing was ridiculous at first, but I agree. They're good on the beach. I'm actually interested in what Topo Chico comes up with.

Sixpoint is doing some amazing products, if you can find them: Resin, High-Res, Puff (and the aforementioned Bengali).

Yeah, hard-seltzers aren't good, I'd say they're "functional" :D

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sixpoint is doing some amazing products, if you can find them: Resin, High-Res, Puff (and the aforementioned Bengali).

Yeah, hard-seltzers aren't good, I'd say they're "functional" :D

I vacillate being being a complete snob about liquor and beer, and being fundamentally pedestrian.

When I used to climb more, we would regularly split a couple of six packs of Pabst Blue Ribbon between the team and haul it up. After a hot day of climbing, a Pabst was a wonderful moment. And, then you could use one or two cans to thicken up stews, or make pancakes in the morning.

We also brought good whiskey, but some of my favorite beers in my life, include the throughly unimpressive PBR with some jerky on the top of some windy point.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Working from the deck tonight along with my personal assistant.

24DD1185-1616-4914-BC71-CCCB7BE6F375.jpeg
601F70E9-4F0E-4D69-B18D-35479009537F.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Our ABC has had a table of 25% off products, no idea why, much of it is great, new items, no matter, picked up another 6 of Sixpoint Bengali, and since it was an additional 10% for two 6-packs, I also scored their Resin IIPA. Don't do beer [specifically] Mon - Thu, but I'll be busting into those glorious __103__ IBU, 9.1% ABV, delivered from the gods beverage tomorrow :D

We've been doing a mix of vodka, rum, tequila, bourbon, but this run, I decided on just vodkas, a few of our "regulars", including the absolutely terrific, Absolut Vanilia, no extra sugars, beautiful real vanilla bean flavor, no proof reduction (80) even as a "flavored" vodka.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What do you think of the Samuel Smith line?

Sam Smith is pretty good, and not to be confused with Sam Adams. The latter is not bad as a draft, when you're out having dinner, and they make some good boutique products that generally don't get into more mainstream distro channels. They have like 75 products even though mostly you only see about 5-6 at major liquor stores, grocery, on draft.

The really superlative Sam (Samuel :D) Smith product is their Organic Chocolate Stout. Wow.

Though funny enough, I've gotten way from Porters, Stouts, I so greatly favor IPAs, or hoppy ales, that's almost exclusively my buying/drinking pattern.

Top Bottom
1 2