Brazil halts sales of charger-less iPhones, fines Apple $2.3 million

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not including a charger is ridiculous.

The Brazilian government has suspended the sales of iPhones without chargers, it announced today. Apple is also facing a BRL$12,275,500 fine (about $2.3 million) from Brazil's Ministry of Justice and Public Security (MJSP). This is on top of a reported $2 million fine Apple incurred in 2021 after announcing its first smartphone to ship without a power adapter in the box, the iPhone 12 series. Apple can appeal Brazil's decision.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Disagree. I’d prefer even my M2 MacBook Air to come without a charger. It is currently sitting in the box unopened. I connect to a dock every night. The extra charger is useless to me. Doubly so for iPhone chargers.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
The charger for my 2018 MBP died about 4 months ago. Luckily I have a few USB-C travel chargers kicking around, so I wasn't caught short.

I honestly think Apple left things out of the box to get the box smaller. Smaller boxes means they can move more phones per skid in the planes. I'm sure the manufacturing cost of the small charger is like $5, so not their motivation to leave it out.

Top Bottom
1 2