Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Like I said in the Weather thread - we normally have only about 6 days of winter here. Having temperatures in the 40s in December is rare.

Whimper.

Whimper.

Whimper.

Sigh.

Over the years, I have spent a number of winters - and Christmas - abroad, in countries with troubled politics, conflict zones, profoundly unstable and unjust societies, basket-case economies, but wonderful weather.

I suppose that one cannot expect to have everything in this world.......

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Over the years, I have spent a number of winters - and Christmas - abroad, in countries with troubled politics, conflict zones, profoundly unstable and unjust societies, basket-case economies, but wonderful weather.

I suppose that one cannot expect to have everything in this world.......
That’s what I tell myself every time I think about our newly elected senator, Coach Clueless Tommy Tuberville. Take the good with the bad.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
It was the kid's last day at school on Thursday, so I made him a celebratory dinner of home-made ribs, scalloped potatoes, sautéed spinach, and cornbread.

First, knocked together a whiskey-molasses BBQ sauce. Start with onions and whiskey, cook the onions down. Add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine vinegar. Cook to a boil, then let simmer for a bit.

Set aside and cool. Next, make a dry rub with brown sugar, salt, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, and paprika. Rub into the meat. Ideally, refrigerate for a least an hour, or more. I then make a braising liquid with honey and apple cider vinegar and a little water. When it's time to cook, cover the ribs with foil, add the braising liquid, and toss them in the oven.

I saute spinach with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. And, I make my own cornbread.

When the ribs are nearly done, remove them from foil packets, and set aside braising liquid. Cook the braising liquid down. Then, mix that with the BBQ sauce and slather the ribs. Cook for a few minutes so the sauce sets in, but don't burn it. Serve with bibs.

I usually reserve some ribs for the slow-cooker and make short-rib tostadas the next day. I cook the ribs with chiles, and then blend up the chiles to make a red sauce. Then, serve that on rib meat served with cheese and beans, a little avocado and cilantro to set it off.

Tonight was a vegetable stir-fry.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
First, knocked together a whiskey-molasses BBQ sauce. Start with onions and whiskey, cook the onions down. Add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine vinegar. Cook to a boil, then let simmer for a bit.
That sounds exceptional! Will have to give it a try.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It was the kid's last day at school on Thursday, so I made him a celebratory dinner of home-made ribs, scalloped potatoes, sautéed spinach, and cornbread.

Set aside and cool. Next, make a dry rub with brown sugar, salt, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, and paprika. Rub into the meat. Ideally, refrigerate for a least an hour, or more. I then make a braising liquid with honey and apple cider vinegar and a little water. When it's time to cook, cover the ribs with foil, add the braising liquid, and toss them in the oven.

I saute spinach with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. And, I make my own cornbread.

When the ribs are nearly done, remove them from foil packets, and set aside braising liquid. Cook the braising liquid down. Then, mix that with the BBQ sauce and slather the ribs. Cook for a few minutes so the sauce sets in, but don't burn it. Serve with bibs.

I usually reserve some ribs for the slow-cooker and make short-rib tostadas the next day. I cook the ribs with chiles, and then blend up the chiles to make a red sauce. Then, serve that on rib meat served with cheese and beans, a little avocado and cilantro to set it off.

Tonight was a vegetable stir-fry.

That sounds amazing.

And delicious.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Big ol' soup working on itself on the back burner now... chopped onions and celery, carrots, cabbage and some dill seed were sautéed first in olive oil, with dried thyme and a little marjoram for sweetness added, then into a soup pot where some chopped tomatoes, separately cooked black beans and vegetable broth had been heating up, added a slosh of red vinegar, some Worcestershire sauce to deepen the taste a bit and a wakeup call of some red tabasco sauce.

So that got put not quite to a boil, then in with some short ribbons of sliced kale leaves. Onto that back burner at a low simmer to think about itself for awhile. Salt and black pepper to taste a bit later... didn't use much salt cooking up the beans earlier, so some will be added before serving. So there's a meal needing just some crusty bread run under the broiler while dishing up the soup to make a nice feast of the solstice.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Big ol' soup working on itself on the back burner now... chopped onions and celery, carrots, cabbage and some dill seed were sautéed first in olive oil, with dried thyme and a little marjoram for sweetness added, then into a soup pot where some chopped tomatoes, separately cooked black beans and vegetable broth had been heating up, added a slosh of red vinegar, some Worcestershire sauce to deepen the taste a bit and a wakeup call of some red tabasco sauce.

So that got put not quite to a boil, then in with some short ribbons of sliced kale leaves. Onto that back burner at a low simmer to think about itself for awhile. Salt and black pepper to taste a bit later... didn't use much salt cooking up the beans earlier, so some will be added before serving. So there's a meal needing just some crusty bread run under the broiler while dishing up the soup to make a nice feast of the solstice.

Sounds delicious.

I still have some kale, and that - or, a similar soup - sounds as though it is an excellent way of making very good use of it.

Actually, I had been debating preparing some sort of hot and sour soup this evening (which would have included shredded kale along the lines you have described), but then decided, no, sod that, not this evening; Kale will be fine tomorrow.....

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
but then decided, no, sod that, not this evening

Hah, that was me yesterday turning out a way simplified version of a sometimes-Sunday brunch. Not in the mood but wanted something delicious so it was poached organic eggs over buttered toast cubes, hot milk poured over with a dash of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Comfort food!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Hah, that was me yesterday turning out a way simplified version of a sometimes-Sunday brunch. Not in the mood but wanted something delicious so it was poached organic eggs over buttered toast cubes, hot milk poured over with a dash of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Comfort food!

Well, that was me this evening; sautéed eggs,and toasted (buttered) brioche...

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner will be croissants, with cheese, while I have no ham to hand - yes, a ham and cheese croissant would be nice - I do have cheese, especially cheese to use up, and croissants to use up. So, one croissant shall be served with Comte and Gorgonzola, another with Comte and Camembert, and a third with Comte and Stilton.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner will be homemade vegetarian tom yum soup, with Japanese ramen noodles.

Sautéed carrot and onions, to which peas, shredded kale, diced tomatoes, chilli, ginger, lemongrass (chopped), lime leaves, fish sauce, tom yum paste, soy sauce and stock have all been added.

Served with Japanese ramen noodles.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner will be homemade vegetarian tom yum soup, with Japanese ramen noodles.

Sautéed carrot and onions, to which peas, shredded kale, diced tomatoes, chilli, ginger, lemongrass (chopped), lime leaves, fish sauce, tom yum paste, soy sauce and stock have all been added.

Served with Japanese ramen noodles.

And this is one of the very, very, very few dishes where I do not use garlic; possibly the only Asian dish I prepare where garlic (in my usual generous - nay, prodigal, quantities, or, even in limited quantities), does not feature.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Some time ago, thinking that Decent Brother might have been able to join me for the Yuletide Season, I purchased two turkey thighs, (organic, free range, slow growing etc), with a view to serving them over Yuletide.

I had been thinking about how to serve them, and, rather than the traditional roast of fowl, served with boiled, or braised vegetables, - maybe even sautééd vegetables - this time - possibly for the New Year, I think I shall try it the other way around, namely, poach the turkey thighs, (which will keep the meat tasty and moist), while roasting a dish of vegetables, including a head (or two) of garlic.

In the here and now, I strained the tom yum stock from yesterday (all of the noodles and vegetables had been devoured at dinner) and re-heated it as soup to drink from a mug, an afternoon pick-me-up, in lieu of tea, or coffee, or hot chocolate.

Delicious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2