Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Beef bun, Vietnamese spring rolls and egg drop soup. It should have been two meals, but I finished it off.

Yah I just noticed today that I have finished off two four-roll packages of frozen egg rolls in about half the time I expected them to last.

So tonight while cruising through some wallpaper options for my XR for August, I decided on this one. It's kale... which I expect to feature much more often in my August meals now that all those egg rolls are gone.

no more egg rolls for you baby.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Beef bun, Vietnamese spring rolls and egg drop soup. It should have been two meals, but I finished it off.

Oh, yum.

Sounds delicious.

This evening, I decided to treat myself to some sushi.

Happy sigh.

I do not think that there is an Asian dish I dislike.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Oh, yum.

Sounds delicious.

This evening, I decided to treat myself to some sushi.

Happy sigh.

I do not think that there is an Asian dish I dislike.
There are definitely some I prefer more than others, and I'd be squeamish on some of the insects in Asian markets, but I'd at least try them.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
An omelette this evening, cooked in butter: Free range, organic, eggs, with chopped chives and fresh (and finely chopped) parsley.

Tasty and deceptively simple.

lizkat

Reaction score
Heat-wave breakfast for me today: chopped cold hard-boiled egg atop chilled julienned beets with some home-brew dressing concocted from a mix of half-sweet and mustard pickle relishes plus a bit each of mayo and ketchup. Delicious and refreshing. Skipped the idea of hot coffee and went straight for the iced tea. Gonna be 88ºF tomorrow and the next day so I'm going to have to switch to iced coffee for sure. Summer's finally really here!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They have a really interesting brand of ice cream at the military commissary:

They have tropical flavors like Mango, Purple Yam, Lychee, etc. The 1.5-quart size is pretty expensive at $8, so even with the $.50 coupon they had in the store, that’s about $2.50 a pint… slightly less than Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s… and much more than the $3 for other 1.5-quart brands like Breyer’s or Edy’s.

I took a chance on it and it’s great. It is just as thick and rich as the 2 “fancy” brands mentioned above, and the flavors are truly unique. I got mango this time. Maybe I will try a new flavor next time, or just get mango again. But I shouldn’t get ahead of myself… there‘s still lots of ice cream in the tub.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They have a really interesting brand of ice cream at the military commissary:

They have tropical flavors like Mango, Purple Yam, Lychee, etc. The 1.5-quart size is pretty expensive at $8, so even with the $.50 coupon they had in the store, that’s about $2.50 a pint… slightly less than Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s… and much more than the $3 for other 1.5-quart brands like Breyer’s or Edy’s.

I took a chance on it and it’s great. It is just as thick and rich as the 2 “fancy” brands mentioned above, and the flavors are truly unique. I got mango this time. Maybe I will try a new flavor next time, or just get mango again. But I shouldn’t get ahead of myself… there‘s still lots of ice cream in the tub.
you call that expensive? try 8 to 90 for a pint for fantastic ice cream. try this https://saltandstraw.com/collections/pick-your-pints

lizkat

Reaction score
Temps are dropping into the high 40s overnight up here -- the holiday weekend apparently serving as more than an "unofficial" mark of summer's end?!-- so out come the soup recipes for sure. Soups for supper all through next week, and a quilt hauled down from upstairs to put around me during the evenings! Way too soon to turn on the heating system, and the days are still sunny and warm.

Tonight's menu: grilled cheese and tomato sandwich on 12-grain toast, and some hearty vegetable soup that's similar to a minestrone.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday, my old reliable of pasta (nastrini) with my homemade blue cheese sauce (the blue cheese sauce took the form of two different types of Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, plus the remains of a chunk of Cashel Blue, - which were slowly melted - to which organic double cream was added).

However, I am now entirely out of blue cheese, a deficiency which must be remedied.

The previous day, I thoroughy enjoyed a supper of Japanese ramen noodles in miso stock (miso paste, plus a dissolved chicken stock cube and some Japanese soy sauce).

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
I usually keep a pound or so of potatoes on hand for making the occasional potato salad during summer months, and one of them might end up as home fries on a weekend morning. But the last of this batch will land in a soup as all the evenings lately are proving too chilly for thoughts of a veggie burger with a side of potato salad. Lentil soup on the menu for tonight with the leftovers to be stashed in the freezer.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Breakfast was freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (with a little sparkling water), Ethiopian coffee (with organic hot milk), and toasted French bread, with butter and three fruit (lemon, grapefruit and orange) marmalade.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Tried my hand at a homemade version of the Japanese nigiri & sashimi I have been devouring happily for the past few weeks.

Classic sushi - as in maki rolls - was out of the question; I'll leave that to the professionals. But, a nigiri inspired repast seemed well within my culinary reach.

Therefore, from the fishmonger, I had ordered samon sashmi, and tuna sashimi, and smoked eel. (I had also ordered gravadlax - which I adore - and smoked tuna, but they will comprise a different style of dinner). That was delivered this morning.

And I also ordered sushi rice, sushi pickled ginger, wasabi, mirin, rice vinegar/sushi seasoning, and had fun preparing sushi style rice in the rice cooker. (This is the sort of situation where the internet comes into its own).

So, sushi rice (which turned out surprisingly well), sliced sashimi tuna, sashimi salmon, and smoked eel, (yes, I have a number of elegant and exceedingly sharp, gorgeous, Japanese knives - balanced, beautiful and superb at what they do - with which to do the needful) served with a little bowl of sushi pickled ginger, and a separate little bowl of soy sauce with wasabi (stirred and dissolved through the soy sauce), and a dash of mirin, comprised dinner. And delicious it was too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2