Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A sort of take on ossobuco, or an Italian (Tuscan?) slow-cooked shin beef dish started off with the usual soffritto (sautéed diced & chopped celery, carrot and onion), plus two heads of garlic (sliced horizontally, sautéed with the vegetables), roasted tomatoes, chicken stock, a little tomato puree, half a bottle of Chianti, and - after the shin beef (complete with tasty bones and marrow) pieces were also sautéed - the lot were placed in a large copper casserole which went into the oven to be blessed by the application of heat, long (four to five hours, perhaps more), lingering, (and, equally crucially,) slow heat.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Breaking out of the oatmeal (apples, raisins) and lentils w/ brown rice groove with something a lot flashier for a change: some stir fried veggies -- broccoli florets, red bell peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms, medallions of carrot-- and strips of chicken, then with enough red pepper flake put on at the end to justify unusually ample amounts of white rice underneath lol.

lizkat

Reaction score
Cooked up some vegetarian chili and (separately) some rice to have in the front end of the week ahead... with an eye to the fact one can eat that combo cold if the power goes out for awhile behind the winds associated with this storm once it swings around and starts coming from the northwest again. I know I get tired of peanut butter sandwiches pretty fast, and I actually like cold chili, at least in the summertime. Anyway all that's stashed in the fridge now and I'm thinking about popcorn and a movie.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Costco finally started selling a cauliflower crust pizza with more than vegetables on it. This has both pepperoni and Italian sausage, boy is it good! 😋

4AFDBDB9-B8FB-4642-A285-060F4BFB31F1.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Last week-end, I paid my first visit to the farmers' market since before Christmas.

Most of the stalls are still absent - not much grows at this time of the year, which means that they would have little enough to sell, (little that they had grown themselves) and this is why many of them take an extended break.

Moreover, as, these days, I live toute seule, I don't have any pressing need to visit the market on a weekly basis, which I used to do whenever I was home prior to my mother's death.

Anyway, at the (organic) meat stall, I idly wondered whether they had chicken (their chicken is organic, free range, ethically reared, with a keen awareness of environmental practices) thighs, as I had it in mind to prepare my (German) sister-in-law's "Jewish penicillin" - aka - a classic Central/Eastern European chicken broth - poached chicken - that derives from central European Jewish culinary traditions.

A perfect, tasty, soothing, and warming dish for this time of year.

They didn't - they were sold out of chicken thighs - but they did have turkey thighs. A legacy of the Yuletide season. Now, I hadn't had turkey over the Yuletide season (or last year's Yuetide, or - for that matter, Yuletide of any of the previous two or three years).

Nevertheless, fowl is fowl; and - while I never much cared for turkey, (least of all turkey breast), I have always loved the juices that flowed from the bird, when roasted, with which one could prepare the most amazing gravy.

Anyway, having purchased turkey thighs (bone and skin - which are what gives the stock its flavour - still attached) - I amended the classic recipe (which, essentially, meant more cooking time) to allow for the fact that turkey - rather than chicken - thighs were what was being poached.

While the turkey was tasty (and gloriously moist) - perfect with rice, and (the following morning, for breakfast) with toast, the real prize is that delicious stock. Perfect for soup, rice, pasta........

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
I remember it as $14 for a 2 pack...

Uh... guess my query wasn't very clear...

I meant would the retail price of fresh cauliflower itself (which I often serve as a three-veggie steamed dish with carrots and green beans) rise even further. It had already gone up some ever since "cauliflower rice" became popular as an alternative to white rice under stir fries and so forth. And it's a pain in the neck to grow, much fussier than broccoli which is another favorite of mine. I've only raised cauliflower a few times and it was decades ago. I like gardening but that was a lot of work.h

Right around here cauliflower in the supermarkets runs about $5.30 a head. LOL so of course I'm not buying it.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Uh... guess my query wasn't very clear...

I meant would the retail price of fresh cauliflower itself (which I often serve as a three-veggie steamed dish with carrots and green beans) rise even further. It had already gone up some ever since "cauliflower rice" became popular as an alternative to white rice under stir fries and so forth. And it's a pain in the neck to grow, much fussier than broccoli which is another favorite of mine. I've only raised cauliflower a few times and it was decades ago. I like gardening but that was a lot of work.h

Right around here cauliflower in the supermarkets runs about $5.30 a head. LOL so of course I'm not buying it.
Maybe… :)
I was giving you a gage to view relative pricing. For $4 more, you get 2 pizzas! :)

lizkat

Reaction score
Another single-digits day here and subzero on tap for the overnight... my super-lazy Sunday solution was steaming hot tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, and heading for more tomatoes (with parmesan-romano cheese ) on some short pasta tonight, along with the barest nod at a side salad: mixed greens tossed w/ a little oil and vinegar and a couple bread heels made into croutons after running under the broiler and rubbing with a little garlic.

But yes, breakfast was a throwback to childhood Sundays and so included bacon, home fries, eggs over easy and grits. All that talk of bacon and homefries in some other thread hit my brain anew this morning after a cuppa coffee.... as I stood in front of the fridge with the door open, noting that there was no leftover oatmeal ready to roll out and revive in the microwave.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So what's the point of cauliflower crust? Just a little nutritional improvement? I mean, it's supplemented with a ton of carbs, so it's not "low carb". Gluten related?

Don't get me wrong, love us some cauliflower :D The other night we made cauliflower au gratin, holy hell it was good.

lizkat

Reaction score
Today I'm dithering over which soup to make next. I like to keep a couple different ones in the fridge during winter. So it's either going to be lentil or Long Island clam chowder or red cabbage with dill seed. Meanwhile some leftover navy bean soup for lunch (the US Senate's recipe).

Most of my mid-winter soups do feature potatoes... it's the season when I wink and nod at their inclusion and tell myself a couple of potatoes in a soup don't really count. No one has told that to the scale on which I weigh myself in April and start skipping soupmaking for awhile.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Today I'm dithering over which soup to make next. I like to keep a couple different ones in the fridge during winter. So it's either going to be lentil or Long Island clam chowder or red cabbage with dill seed. Meanwhile some leftover navy bean soup for lunch (the US Senate's recipe).

Most of my mid-winter soups do feature potatoes... it's the season when I wink and nod at their inclusion and tell myself a couple of potatoes in a soup don't really count. No one has told that to the scale on which I weigh myself in April and start skipping soupmaking for awhile.
Root vegetables in a soup - in winter - are not just a luxury, but a necessity.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Tonight, rather than caponata (contemplated for tomorrow), I decided upon pasta (fettuccine) with homemade mushroom sauce: This started, slowly, very slowly, with onions, very finely diced, sautéed in butter, to which were added eight fat minced cloves of garlic; they were left to marry and meld and soften for the best part of 40 minutes until soft, translucent, and golden.

Then, the chopped (mixed, organic, etc) mushrooms were added to the pan along with more butter, in fact, lots more butter; in my experience, mushrooms are as greedy for butter as aubergines (eggplant) is/are for olive oil.

Anyway, once that had cooked down, I added some double cream (organic), and allowed it to bubble and thicken a little; meanwhile, I prepared a salad (mixed leaves and my own homemade French dressing), and also prepared the pasta.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sashimi shall comprise my repast tonight:

This dish includes: Sushi rice, served with sashimi grade salmon, sashimi grade tuna, sashimi shrimp tails, and smoked eel.

Plus the trimmings (served in those elegant little dishes): Rice wine vinegar, mirin, soy sauce with wasabi, and pickled ginger.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday's mushroom sauce (the leftovers) proved delicious when served with toasted rye bread this morning - a tasty week-end variant of the "creamed mushroom on toast" concept.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
This evening I dined on caponata, a Sicilian dish (not dissimilar to ratatouille, except that the Sicilian influence makes for a sweet sour sensation when tasting the dish, rather than the strictly savoury treat that is the sublime dish named ratatouille), accompanied by fillet steak, served rare (and basted, generously, with olive oil while cooking).

Caponata (like ratatouille) is one of those dishes that you need to approach in a relaxed frame of mind; allow hours - (an unrushed afternoon) and you will be amply rewarded, rather than attempting to meet impossible (and delusional) culinary deadlines.

Those lying recipes that tell you that the "prep" takes 15 minutes and that the cooking around thirty minutes, are either lying through their teeth, or, wholly mistaken, or simply - on the time and space continuum - are utterly unable to measure time.

Caponata shares the need for aubergine (eggplant), onions and tomatoes with ratatouille; with caponata, garlic is an optional extra, an option I choose to exercise, simply because I like garlic.

Where it differs (from ratatouile) is in the additional use of celery, (a key ingredient), capers, and raisins (I used sultanas); it also calls for the use of red wine vinegar, and sugar (or honey). Other ingredients (red peppers, chilli peppers, - even courgettes (zucchini) seem to be subjective, rather than strictly canon).

For this you need a large - i.e. capacious - pan; I used my large and rather robust (and quite heavy) copper (Le Mauviel) pan.

The dish starts with slowly sautéed - finely diced - onions, in olive oil; most recipes suggested two, I used three, two of which were medium sized, because I like onions.

So, two/three finely diced onions, sautéed slowly, until soft, translucent, not yet golden. Then, the finely diced celery (two large sticks - one or two recipes go as far as calling for two heads, which I think excessive), is added to the pan, and stirred. At this stage, I also added a finely chopped red pepper.

And, when that lot were softened, the next ingredient to be added was a head of garlic, already minced. (Garlic isn't canon with this recipe, and, of those recipes that did suggest garlic, some called for two cloves, others four, and one six; anyway, I like garlic, - I almost invariably double whatever quantity a recipe calls for - and, to my way of thinking, given that this is a robust dish, in any case, a minced head of garlic seemed a fine addition).

That was let cook down, and was stirred fairly frequently to ensure it didn't stick to the pan.

And I also added a very finely diced chilli pepper, a small one, seeds and ribs removed. A hint of heat is what is required, nothing more.

Some recipes call for the aubergines (eggplant) to be sautéed - by itself - initially, then removed from the pan, and set aside to be returned to the pan later; two that I read suggested that the aubergines be roasted, first, instead.

So, roasting it was; two fine, fat aubergines (eggplant) were cut into small chunks, drizzled (aubergines take the concept of greed to a whole new dimension when they are introduced to olive oil) generously with olive oil, and placed in a preheated oven; they were taken out and stirred and mixed around twice while being roasted.

Accompanying them (my tweak, but it is winter, and I have yet to meet a tomato in winter that is not improved by roasting) were two dishes of tomatoes - one of cherry tomatoes, the other of large vine tomatoes - both chopped - and drizzled with olive oil.

Some of the recipes for caponata had recommended tinned tomatoes, while several of the others had simply suggested that the tomatoes be sautéed with the other ingredients when it came to their turn to be added to the dish.

Today, I used 'fresh' tomatoes, but I roasted them.

When the aubergines and tomatoes were ready (they were roasting while the onions, celery, red pepper and garlic were slowly sautéed on the stove top), they were removed from the oven and added to the copper pan.

Next to be added were the ingredients that define caponata; capers (a tablespoon, or more to taste), raisins/sultanas (likewise, a generous tablespoon, or more), a dessertspoon of sugar (I used brown), red wine vinegar (a few tablespoons), actual wine - I used about a small half glass of white wine.

That is stirred, and let cook down (most of the liquid will evaporate) on a low heat for around another hour or so.

Caponata can be served hot, lukewarm, cold, and, like any casserole, keeps exceptionally well, and is even better the following day.

Moreover, - in common with ratatouile (another dish I love) - it goes with absolutely everything.

Served with aged (organic, ethically reared) fillet steak (I rarely eat meat in summer, but deepest, darkest winter is another matter entirely), - cooked rare - it was delicious.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner took the form of thinly sliced potatoes roasted (in olive oil) with rosemary, thyme, to which had been added, a few sautéed onions and garlic (loosely based on a Nigel Slater recipe "Roast Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic" from last Sunday's Observer).

In any case, I hadn't had potatoes in ages, and, as I planned to dine on fish, in the absence of French fries, roasted potatoes seemed the best possible accompaniment; fish'n'chips is a culinary classic for a very good reason.

The fish was monkfish, already filleted, and delivered yesterday by the fishmonger.

For dinner, I adapted a Spanish chicken recipe (Spanish Chicken in White Wine and Garlic sauce - this is a recipe that actually calls for a full head of garlic, (yum) - Pollo en Salsa Recipe, I acquired it from an online source that goes by the name of Spanish Sabores), substituting monkfish fillets (sliced) for breast of chicken.

And, as the recipe had evolved into a fish dish, I started by dissolving several chopped anchovy fillets in olive oil, before sautéing the fish.

The monkfish fillets were sliced, and sautéed (seared, really) on both sides in the olive oil (and dissolved anchovies), then removed and put aside.

A head of garlic had been prepared, the cloves (still unpeeled) separated and bashed with a large (heavy) Japanese knife; then, still unpeeled, the cloves of garlic were added to the pan, and sautéed until soft, whereupon, they too, were scooped out, and put aside; next, they were peeled (the skins slid off) and mashed and added to a cup of chicken stock; the chicken stock, plus mashed garlic, plus a glass of white wine were returned to the pan, followed, in due course, by the monkfish slices.

This lot was simmered (covered) for around ten minutes, and simmered (uncovered) for a further five, followed by a further five minutes of resting, (with the source of heat extinguished) ruminating to itself, in the pan.

Very tasty, though I say so myself.

Last edited:

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
It won't be to eat today, but later this afternoon I'll put just shy of 5 pounds of beef back ribs in the Sous Vide for dinner tomorrow.

Top Bottom
1 2