Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Pasta with my own blue cheese sauce (made by melting several different pieces of roughly chopped blue cheese - Gorgonzola Cremosa, aged Cashel Blue, mature Stilton, and then, adding organic double cream), plus wilted spinach.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner (organic sautéed eggs, with fresh French bread) cooked, consumed and washing up done.

Also put some basmati rice on in the rice cooker (and cooked it) as I plan to cook Indonesian fried rice tomorrow, but couldn't resist stealing some of the just cooked rice and mixing it with one of the eggs - which I had put aside - that had over-cooked (to which was added a little sambal oelek, a little soya sauce, and a little kecap manis) as a separate culinary offering.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anything I can throw in the hot air fryer. Mostly Brussels sprouts. OMG Those are so good crispy on the outside! But so are carrots. And everything else I have put in it.

Tonight, something with eggplant and portobello mushrooms.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Anything I can throw in the hot air fryer. Mostly Brussels sprouts. OMG Those are so good crispy on the outside! But so are carrots. And everything else I have put in it.

Tonight, something with eggplant and portobello mushrooms.

Brussels sprouts are also terrific either steamed or stir-fried (and pretty awful, when boiled). I'd imagine that they roast pretty well, too.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
They roast amazingly well.

I couldn’t do eggplant cause my eggplants went bad. Damnit! I just got them on Saturday.

I love eggplant (aubergine) irrespective of how they are cooked.

Dinner this evening was my take (at least, for this evening) on Indonesian rice (some vague version of Nasi Goreng, a forgiving dish in terms of interpretation).

The recipe called for one day old rice, or, "old rice"; I had prepared a batch of basmati rice yesterday in the rice cooker, ready for today.

Finely chopped onions and carrots (organic) were sautéed over a pretty high heat; a half mug of frozen peas waited to join them in due course.

Half a very finely diced chilli pepper (seeds removed, you want heat in this dish, but nothing too explosive), plus a fat thumb of grated (and peeled) ginger also awaited in another small dish. As did a small dish of minced garlic (a full head of garlic, peeled, chopped and minced).

Yet another small dish was home to chopped scallions/French onions.

In a bowl nearby, four small eggs (free range, organic), already whisked, were on stand by,.

Once the onions were translucent and carrots were softened, the finely chopped chilli, grated ginger and minced garlic were added, as were half the chopped French onions, stirring briskly.

Then, I added the peas.

A few minutes later, increased the heat, and added the egg mixture, stirring the lot with a whisk.

When the eggs were scrambled nicely, I added the day old (basmati) rice, breaking it down with a wooden spoon.

Once this was nicely mixed together, I made a small well, and added a generous teaspoon (a silver spoon somewhat larger - third to a half as large again - than a teaspoon, inherited from my grandmother) of sambal oelek, and mixed the rice through it; next to be added was shrimp paste - a generous dessertspoon; this, too, was mixed through; then two dessertspoons kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) were added, and a teaspoon of ordinary soy sauce, the lot stirred through.

This was when I added the rest of the French onions.

Another minute or two on the stove top, stirring (and tasting) and it was ready to serve (and eat), at the table (table cloth, place mats, French napkins, proper trickery and cutlery and glassware). And very tasty, it was, too.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got these hot sauces from Hot Ones in the mail today. The Los Calientes is fucking great.
8849293C-1EB2-44A7-BF40-7B43CB969F8B.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Debating whether to order in a takeaway, or prepare spaghetti carbonara (as I realise that I have everything I need to hand).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
As a chef, (or home cook), I'm pretty good with pasta dishes (if known to double quantities of anchovies, or garlic, recommended in recipes), and make a seriously tasty risotto (a dish where a generous hand with butter is called for), but, I know my limitations, and equally, the limitations of my oven: For pizza, and for calzone, I am more than happy to leave mastery of such matters to the professionals.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I hate hate hate when that happens. Peppers and eggplants are hard to tell when they're one day from going over, they can still look great.

I know the feeling.

Dinner this evening was a takeaway (a take out, though, due to Covid, delivered to my door) from what is probably the best Indian restaurant in the city.

An hour's wait, but a superb meal.

I chose the "vegetarian meal", even though I am not vegetarian, which was a set selection of vegetarian dishes; nevertheless, even though I am not vegetarian, Indian cuisine is one of those that has an excellent selection or variety of vegetarian dishes that are native to the cuisine; this evening's vegetarian meal included a delicious creamy vegetable korma, a slighty spicy potato dish, an excellent chickpea & spinach dish, pilau rice, a medley of vegetarian starters, (onion bhaji, vegetable pakora and a third), raita and onion naan bread.

Price wise, it was surprisingly reasonable, given the extremely good quality; I daresay that restaurants feel the need to attract and keep custom during these challenging Covid times.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
And, best of all, there is more than enough left over for dinner this evening.
That’s always the best.

Last night I went for my husband’s all time favorite (and super easy!) supper and we had grits and eggs. We may have it again tonight. I got a new set of copper pans and it’s a delight to make eggs in them.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That’s always the best.

Last night I went for my husband’s all time favorite (and super easy!) supper and we had grits and eggs. We may have it again tonight. I got a new set of copper pans and it’s a delight to make eggs in them.

Copper pans?

I love copper pans; I have a few Italian ones, and some French (Le Mauviel) copper pans - they are absolutely wonderful - a real pleasure - to cook with.

Top Bottom
1 2