Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Last night we had friends over for dinner.
The final Covid lockdown looms…

Anyway.

For dessert I made an Apricot Frangipane Tarte.
There was not much left this morning. :cautious:

IMG_6052.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last night we had friends over for dinner.
The final Covid lockdown looms…

Anyway.

For dessert I made an Apricot Frangipane Tarte.
There was not much left this morning. :cautious:

View attachment 997
One of my favorite things. I’m not allowed to get apricots, fresh or dried. I just gobble them down.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
One of my favorite things. I’m not allowed to get apricots, fresh or dried. I just gobble them down.

(y)(y)(y)
Dried fruit of any kind is my Kryptonite.

I will finish a bag of Medjool dates at a sitting… Same for Dried apricots. *sigh*

I love apricots in any shape or form, dried, fresh, in jam (the small Italian company Prunotto - I had the privilege of visiting one of their farms, where they kept their bees, where I was give a private tour some years ago, when I had visited the cheese festival in Piedmont, - they make an apricot jam where the fruit content is 135g of fruit per 100g of apricot jam) or in those amazing apricot tarts that one used to come across in French bakeries.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I didn't get in to the city to visit the French bakery today.

However, I spent some time busy at the stove, this evening.

I might not have fresh French bread, but I do, (or did) have all of the ingredients to hand to prepare spaghetti carbonara (organic, free range, eggs, pancetta, parmesan, pecorino, organic double cream (just a little), butter, olive oil, spaghetti, black pepper).

This is a dish that requires insane quantities of parmesan (Parmigiano-Reggiano) cheese, (much the way that a really good risotto requires positively sinful quantities of butter - the sort of quantities that home cooks sometimes quail at using) - not just a dainty dusting as you are about to serve the dish.

And, also, a generous hand with black pepper, and a generous quantity of pancetta (and not in tiny bites, either).

I used a little of the pasta cooking liquid, - I had saved around a third of a cup, and about two dessertspoons of double cream, - which were added to the egg & cheese mix after the pasta had become warmly acquainted with the pancetta and its cooking oil (which by the, was a mix of olive oil, butter, and some of the delicious rendered fat from the pancetta).

Anyway, warming, soothing, and very tasty.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Organic, free range, fresh eggs (from the best stall in the weekly farmers' market) were delivered this evening, hence, dinner was obvious: Eggs.

My only debate was whether they would be poached or fried.

So, sautéed eggs (in olive oil), it was. Simple, and delicious.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Lunch took the form of the last of the (organic) cherry tomatoes, sautéed, seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, and three sautéed eggs (free range, and organic). Simple yet tasty.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Breakfast takeout, as described in the menu:

The Dusty-O $12.25​

English muffin topped with scallion cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, red onion, two poached eggs and hollandaise, served with home fries

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

The Dusty-O $12.25​

English muffin topped with scallion cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, red onion, two poached eggs and hollandaise, served with home fries

That sounds seriously delicious.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

The Dusty-O $12.25​

I don’t have any muffins or I’d totally make that right this minute.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Christmas Pudding!

Not something we're going to be eating until Christmas Day, but it needs preparing well in advance…

Dried fruits macerated in Dark Stout (Bath Ales).

Raisins, Sultanas, Currants, Prunes, Candied Ginger, Candied Citrus Peel.

Then this weekend all mixed with even more delicious goodies and steamed.

PS. The excess liquid is drained off and enjoyed separately. No good thing goes to waste.

IMG_0441.jpeg
IMG_0444.jpeg
IMG_0445.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have half a white pizza left from last night, so I guess that’s what I’ll have today. I’m sure at some point my appetite will return.

Top Bottom
1 2