Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds so good! Except for the cheese. It’s one of the few cheeses I’m not crazy about.

And it needs some chili peppers. Something spicy.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
made myself a nice egg burrito with avocado & fresh Mexican cheese...

I'm counting the days to re-opening of an Aldi's in Oneonta, they elected to renovate the store this summer of all the damn times (great for them maybe but for those of us depending on just Aldi's or BJ's for Instacart grocery deliveries in the time of covid-19, pretty inconvenient). Anyway they used to have fresh Mexican cheese from a local supplier and BJ's does not, so... in theory it's just a couple weeks away from happier burrito options for me. That post of yours suddenly makes the two weeks seem longer though.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Portuguese spiced rice: Finely diced onions, carrots and celery are sautéed until soft in olive oil; a few anchovies are dissolved in that same olive oil; next, add a head of minced garlic (around 11-12 cloves); then, add the spices - pimentón, Spanish smoked paprika, sweet, and Spanish smoked paprika picante, plus some tumeric; add Spanish Bomba rice to the pan, to season & sauté; add chopped seasoned cherry tomatoes; add stock, and - while the stock is being absorbed, add half a mug of frozen peas.

lizkat

Reaction score
Portuguese spiced rice: Finely diced onions, carrots and celery are sautéed until soft in olive oil; a few anchovies are dissolved in that same olive oil; next, add a head of minced garlic (around 11-12 cloves); then, add the spices - pimentón, Spanish smoked paprika, sweet, and Spanish smoked paprika picante, plus some tumeric; add Spanish Bomba rice to the pan, to season & sauté; add chopped seasoned cherry tomatoes; add stock, and - while the stock is being absorbed, add half a mug of frozen peas.

That sounds delicious, and from a quick glance I think I even have on hand most of the ingredents, although some Lundberg short grain rice is the closest I'm going to get to bomba.. but that's probably close to okay for my first adventure with this recipe some evening pretty soon, so.. thanks!

For me tonight it's a colorful stir fry. Sliced and cross-cut pieces of red and yellow bell peppers, small wedges of sweet onion, fresh sliced mushrooms and some (canned, drained) sliced water chestnuts, a bit of diced tofu and a handful of greens flash-steamed in near the end. Teriyaki the saucing option tonight and all over a packet of brown rice noodles from Thai Kitchen, prepared just ahead of the stir fry operation and left to sit in cold water until the last minute when I drain them and then toss them in the wok with the sauced veggies.

"Timing is everything." Must have all the veg ready before putting heat under the wok and the noodles have to be in the cool water by then too, then just focus on adding the veggies in so nothing gets mushy or scorched. All done in pretty much six or seven minutes after half an hour of lining stuff up during the prep.

lizkat

Reaction score
I think for dinner tonight I’ll nuke some Mexican. No, not @jkcerda

Hah I thought about @jkcerda's burrito this morning while making my own breakfast burrito... yeah but still without fresh queso. I settled for a little grated cheddar and jack mixed together over an egg and some beans wrapped in a nicely warmed tortilla and then nuked to melt the cheese, so it was ok.

Still counting down to re opening of that Aldi's so I can expand my horizons on cheese and produce again. BJ's is pretty basic... and sometimes has curious lacks of stuff I happen to consider pretty basic. Never any parsley, gee. What is that about?! I end up with finely chopped kale or scallions in what becomes a pretty "fake" tabbouleh, for instance.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
BEEN cooking with avocado oil. and I got to say while expensive I hope the health benefits are worth it
1. Rich in Oleic Acid, a Very Healthy Fat
2. Reduces Cholesterol and Improves Heart Health

the second one is what made me try it, my triglycerides are though the roof and need to tone things down, I have cut red meats as much as possible.
source

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is sad. But I live with a vegetarian and they don't allow grills on our balcony. So those 2 things combined have pretty much cut back my red meat intake.

Maybe we should start a healthy eating recipe thread?

A healthy eating recipe thread is a good idea.

Everyone should live with a vegetarian. It’s done a world of good for my husband. ;)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday, I prepared a dish (a roasting tin, copper, Le Mauviel) of roasted Mediterranean vegetables: Courgettes (zucchini), aubergine, (eggplant), onions, tomatoes, red peppers, and two (snigger) heads (yes, heads) of garlic - all the vegetables were organic, and all were drizzled with, anointed generously with olive oil. The meal was served with fresh ciabatta.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday, I prepared a dish (a roasting tin, copper, Le Mauviel) of roasted Mediterranean vegetables: Courgettes (zucchini), aubergine, (eggplant), onions, tomatoes, red peppers, and two (snigger) heads (yes, heads) of garlic - all the vegetables were organic, and all were drizzled with, anointed generously with olive oil. The meal was served with fresh ciabatta.

Sounds delicious!

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm counting the days to re-opening of an Aldi's in Oneonta, they elected to renovate the store this summer of all the damn times (great for them maybe but for those of us depending on just Aldi's or BJ's for Instacart grocery deliveries in the time of covid-19, pretty inconvenient). Anyway they used to have fresh Mexican cheese from a local supplier and BJ's does not, so... in theory it's just a couple weeks away from happier burrito options for me. That post of yours suddenly makes the two weeks seem longer though.

There’s Aldi’s here too. I think they charge a quarter to use a cart 😡 then return the quarter if you return the cart. Please change your name to LizKat-owitz.😬

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

d0lp6Yeg.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
There’s Aldi’s here too. I think they charge a quarter to use a cart 😡 then return the quarter if you return the cart. Please change your name to LizKat-owitz.😬

Imma change my name to AngryKat pretty quick here, since the idiot "students" at SUNY-Oneonta popped back into that city and promptly generated 39 new cases of covid-19 in the county, causing the whole city to wonder about their own health and the college to set aside two dorms now for quarantine residences... and me to decide I don't need any Instacart deliveries from either the renovated Aldi's or from BJ's in the immediate future. Sigh. Back to what's in the freezer and some late-season dandelion greens, some chives, zucchini and green tomatoes lol. If a dairy goat dropped outta the sky and elected to camp out here for a few weeks I wouldn't mind. Meanwhile it's packeted or jarred cheese dip or just pretend I'm a vegan for awhile.

Top Bottom
1 2