Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That’s my favorite way to prepare eggs. But tonight we’re having portobello steak. Yum yum!

Portobello steak?

What is that? Sounds delicious.

I'm not vegetarian - the thought of never again enjoying Parma or Iberico ham is a major deterrent - but, from late spring, and over summer, (and indeed, until around Hallowe'en) - I am almost vegetarian, and do not feel a need for meat.

With the onset of real winter, that changes, and since last week, I have found myself thinking of beef (or fish) goulash, beef rending, and so on, with longing.

That means that there will be a flavoursome, spicy stew on my culinary horizon in the relatively near future.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Portobello steak?

What is that? Sounds delicious.

I'm not vegetarian - the thought of never again enjoying Parma or Iberico ham is a major deterrent - but, from late spring, and over summer, (and indeed, until around Hallowe'en) - I am almost vegetarian, and do not feel a need for meat.

With the onset of real winter, that changes, and since last week, I have found myself thinking of beef (or fish) goulash, beef rending, and so on, with longing.

That means that there will be a flavoursome, spicy stew on my culinary horizon in the relatively near future.

I've been surviving on sandwiches, burritos, and Clif bars for the last few weeks. And, pan de muerto from a friend, along with my body-weight in Halloween candy.
And, real food sounds amazing right now. I'd love a portobello steak, and some well-made pomme frites.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Chicken cutlets, breaded in almond flour and parmesan cheese. Rao's Arrabbiata sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. Roasted cauliflower (Salt, peper, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, evoo). No pasta... Low carb, high(ish) fat. Not Keto!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Portobello steak?
Basically just the cap of a large portobello mushroom, grilled as you would a piece of steak. I like them to replace a burger, too.
I really like roasted cauliflower as a replacement for pasta or rice. Good stuff.
I just discovered grilled cauliflower steak! I always keep cauliflower around because it’s so versatile.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Vegetarian tom yum broth bubbling away: Carrots, onions, French onions, tomatoes, a full head of chopped Chinese cabbage (all organic, all purchased at the farmers' market early this morning) cheerfully simmering away in a broth with tom yum paste, Asian fish sauce, lemon grass, lime leaves, chilli, a thumb or two of ginger, and stock.

And basmati rice.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Breakin' out real breakfast food for supper tonight: bacon, eggs, grits, home fries. Have to use up some of my unauthorized recent purchases of stress-eating ingredients before I start thinking if's normal to have them around and so must almost be time to re-up.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Slow cooking a chicken tonight.

IMG_2671.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Had two bowls of delicious tom yum broth (and two plates of basmati rice); happy sigh. That was tasty.

Gosh, I was hungry and I had somehow (inexplicably) forgotten that I was hungry.

It would seem that a diet of beer and crisps ("chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins), while adequate for a one day and/or night of an election count, does not quite cut it as adequate fuel, let alone nutrition, over an election count that runs to three or four days.

lizkat

Reaction score
Had two bowls of delicious tom yum broth (and two plates of basmati rice); happy sigh. That was tasty.

Gosh, I was hungry and I had somehow (inexplicably) forgotten that I was hungry.

It would seem that a diet of beer and crisps ("chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins), while adequate for a one day and/or night of an election count, does not quite cut it as adequate fuel, let alone nutrition, over an election count that runs to three or four days.

I hate to think what I've done to my body's expectations about not only the sort of nutrition that will show up but the timing of it all as well.

As for evidence, a friend of mine said she has quit writing down what she eats and when in a food journal.. from last Tuesday night and forward... and plans not to pick up that pen again until sometime next week.

My own thoughts on that ran to "Lordy I hope there aren't tapes..."

lizkat

Reaction score
Slow cooking a chicken tonight.

View attachment 1249

Still trying to figure out if I'd use a slow cooker (or an Instapot) often enough to justify it. Would help if I'd actually write down how many times I slow cook or pressure cook anything to begin with.

Once in awhile I think of the free leftovers dropped off by my late youngest bro, he used to slow-cook batches of stuff like chili or venison stew and so forth back in the day... but then his wife would get home from work sometimes and say "oh I forgot to tell you there was a sale on frozen veggies, so you should realize there's no room in the freezer right now for this chili..." -- and I'd be the beneficiary of that miscalculation.

My versions of such things are tasty but tend to get done more quickly, or parts of it done ahead and so less time marrying up the flavors of the rest of it. There really is a difference between some of those creations and something that got at least the equivalent of simmering on the back burner for 8 hours.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Still trying to figure out if I'd use a slow cooker (or an Instapot) often enough to justify it. Would help if I'd actually write down how many times I slow cook or pressure cook anything to begin with.

Once in awhile I think of the free leftovers dropped off by my late youngest bro, he used to slow-cook batches of stuff like chili or venison stew and so forth back in the day... but then his wife would get home from work sometimes and say "oh I forgot to tell you there was a sale on frozen veggies, so you should realize there's no room in the freezer right now for this chili..." -- and I'd be the beneficiary of that miscalculation.

My versions of such things are tasty but tend to get done more quickly, or parts of it done ahead and so less time marrying up the flavors of the rest of it. There really is a difference between some of those creations and something that got at least the equivalent of simmering on the back burner for 8 hours.
I love slow cooking, for the reasons you mentioned but also because with the pandemic we eat at home 100% of the time and there's time for it and often times it's a two day process. For example I brine the chicken for 24 hours and then slow cook it all day long, it always comes out super tender and flavorful.

However, I do agree that you can achieve the same results in shorter time depending on how you make it. We've also recently gotten into using the instapot and that thing is awesome. We cooked a whole chicken in 18 minutes and it turned out great.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have pretty much replaced the slow cooker/pressure cooker with the air fryer. I’m almost to the point where I’m replacing the microwave with the air fryer.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I felt the need for something different tonight, so it’s Beyond burgers topped with cheese and sunny side up eggs, accompanied by mini tater tots.

D92D4320-5F5E-423F-AE9F-536A633B8911.jpeg

Last edited:

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I made Korean tacos last night. Take some steak and cut into small pieces, then marinate with soy and brown sugar. Cook on the grill. Serve with kimchi, cilantro and a little crema made with Sriracha.

I'd have taken a picture, but I had to fight the 10-year-old for keeps just to keep him from eating most of them.

Top Bottom
1 2