Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Does she like dark chocolate?

Even as a small child, I far preferred dark chocolate to milk chocolate (as did my father).
if so not much. but she is a pretty picky eater and wont even eat cookies sometimes. though usually she loves donuts. so I think ti was the chocolate. she is only 3 and young kids can be picky. I taught her to love black licorice and she always begs me for it.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
if so not much. but she is a pretty picky eater and wont even eat cookies sometimes. though usually she loves donuts. so I think ti was the chocolate. she is only 3 and young kids can be picky. I taught her to love black licorice and she always begs me for it.

The Finns have an amazing liquorice that is both salty & sweet; addictive.

The liquorice takes the form of (black) sweets (candies) - utterly addictive - and also appears in a - quite unique - (black) alcoholic beverage.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Finns have an amazing liquorice that is both salty & sweet; addictive.

The liquorice takes the form of (black) sweets (candies) - utterly addictive - and also appears in a - quite unique - (black) alcoholic beverage.
I love it but I cant eat hardly any carbs and I cant eat any grains at all. I found a good sugar free licorice thats not bad. saw this and was like I can't imagine it being good.

63303349563__D80173C8-08DC-45D2-8A28-E3724290B17A.jpeg

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Snowy Sunday lunch…
Husband mine, served up slow cooked Oxtail, Sauteed Cabbage, Celeriac mash, horseradish and English mustard.
Accompanied by a bottle of Sangiovese.

Bonus: And he did the washing up. 🙂

IMG_1043.jpeg
IMG_1038.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Snowy Sunday lunch…
Husband mine, served up slow cooked Oxtail, Sauteed Cabbage, Celeriac mash, horseradish and English mustard.
Accompanied by a bottle of Sangiovese.

Bonus: And he did the washing up. 🙂

View attachment 3054View attachment 3055
That looks absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious; would you care to share the oxtail recipe (as I have some organic oxtail in the freezer).

And: Sautéed cabbage: What an excellent idea. Years ago, I took to heart Nigel Slater's advice that brassicas do best with oil and butter, but - never, or, hardly ever - water (unless steamed).

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
got some great Parmigiano Reggiano Vacche Rosse/Red cows 40 month old direct from Italy today. it is so good so much flavor compared to the Parmigiano Reggiano you get in the store. plus if you buy 4 pounds at once it costs the same.
IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2169.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Chicken thighs (organic, free range, skin and bone attached) with onions, garlic, potatoes, Italian bacon (Rigatino), peas and stock. A loose adaptation of an Italian recipe.

Chicken - seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, so that that nice skin becomes golden and crispy, was sautéed in olive oil, removed, and set aside; then, the onions - roughly chopped - were sautéed until soft; and then, the Rigatino (Italian bacon), was sautéed until crisp.

Meanwhile, thickly sliced potatoes (along with thyme, and two heads of garlic,) were put into a copper roasting tin that had already been drizzled with olive oil. The sautéed onions, Rigatino (Italian bacon) and chicken were placed on top of the vegetables; chicken stock (a large mug) was added, as was some white wine (I had some Riesling).

This was then placed in a preheated oven and left to chat to itself for around half an hour, whereupon, I removed it briefly, and proceeded to add a mug of frozen peas and stirred it a little. Then, back to into the oven for a further half an hour or so.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is some serious bacon. its intensely smoked and even the package smells good. it is dry cured and needs no refrigeration till its opened. cooks super fast as it does not have much moisture. the only bad part it's really salty so a few slices will do you. I forgot to take a pick of their sausage it comes in a cloth bag. so weird raw sausage that can go days without refrigeration. I slice the roll up and freeze it. I found their ham a bit too strong for me. UPS lost this package as Was going to have it for Christmas just got the replacement.
IMG_2181.jpg

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A really nice local bacon with great flavor and not too salty. I liked out finding this one the store had it with the smoked salmon and such not in the bacon section. I was on a hunt to find it for chirstmas and could not find it at the three stores I go too. then just spotted it in the oddball section.
IMG_2183.jpeg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is a quick dish cheesy cauliflower. I have made this is sautéed onions and garlic and all kinds of cheese. but this method works great and its fat. I steam a head of cauliflower I put dried garlic and onion on it before steaming or they are too strong. Then the secret ingredient powered cheddar cheese. it adds a lot of flavor without a huge amount of cheese. I put some butter and milk in there then run the food processor for a minute and its pretty good.
IMG_2182.jpeg
IMG_2184.jpeg
IMG_2185.jpeg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
another simple dish. when I used to be able to eat wheat pasta this was so good just some good browned butter with or without garlic cooked in the butter fresh black pepper (we always use tellichery) some mizithra cheese and some of that Parmigiano Reggiano. Now I have to use almond pasta. not quite as good but its still good. but the almond pasta is pretty rich so I can't eat a lot of it.
IMG_2186.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Got involved in sorting out a music library and suddenly it was suppertime... pantry to the rescue, so it was hokkien noodles with some added sliced water chestnuts, defrosted spinach leaves that I had blanched and frozen last September, some sliced and quickly stir fried little mixed peppers, diced shelf-stable tofu... all tossed with teriyaki sauce slightly thickened with a cornstarch slurry and garnished with a spoonful of slivered almonds. Not too shabby but pretty sure being really hungry upped the score a little bit.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A take on Chinese style egg fried rice:

First the vegetables: Very finely chopped onion, carrot and half a mug of frozen peas were sautéed in butter; six cloves of garlic, chopped, were added to that and sautéed until soft.

Next, a few eggs (organic, free range) were whisked, and then added to the vegetables, where they were scrambled.

That is when the day old rice was introduced to the other contents of the pan (along with some more butter), and stirred and mixed through.

Some soy sauce, and oyster sauce were both then added, and stirred through, mixed together, as were some finely chopped French onions.

Once everything was heated through - and hot - dinner was served.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Poached fish (monkfish) in an oriental inspired broth (stock, fish sauce, Soya sauce, Oyster sauce, lemon grass, lime leaves, ginger, chopped chilli, a little sambal) with added vegetables (roughly chopped onions, carrots, tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, French onions), served with basmati rice.

Top Bottom
1 2