Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Chowder? More info pls? 🙏

I can be so impatient at times. 😊

The trick with chowder is to spend some time preparing what becomes the stock; when sautéing the vegetables (softening them in olive oil), I always add around eight - at least - anchovies from a jar or tin (Ortiz are an excellent brand) and dissolve them in the olive oil; this gives the dish that wonderful umami flavour, a nice subtle taste sensation, and gives a wonderful base to the dish when the stock has been added.

On this occasion as well, I also added a few dessertspoons of Asian fish sauce to the jug in which I prepared the stock, which also served to enhance the flavour.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is one of my favorite marinades to make and took me a couple of years to refine, goes great with chicken tenders and is relatively healthy. I basically start out with about 1/3 olive oil and then mix everything else in to taste, all done in the measuring cup (not pictured here that I will also add is honey and dijon mustard), then let it sit for about 30 minutes to marry everything.

Next I put it into a ziplock bag with the chicken and smoosh it all around, then hammer it with a mallet to thin it out, I try to let it marinade for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours, over night is even better. Cooks in about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@ericgtr12: Could you please let us know what the bottles etc contain?

I detest pictures without explanatory words (there are far too many online) not least because my ageing eyes are somewhat challenged, and even using fingers on trackpad (another action I dislike), to increase the size of the image, I cannot read the labels as the writing is too small and indistinct.

On another unmentionable site, one of the beer threads all too often features images of beers, the labels of which are entirely indecipherable, with no text added to assist one's efforts to identify just what is being shown.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
@ericgtr12: Could you please let us know what the bottles etc contain?

I detest pictures without explanatory words (there are far too many online) not least because my ageing eyes are somewhat challenged, and even using fingers on trackpad (another action I dislike), to increase the size of the image, I cannot read the labels as the writing is too small and indistinct.

On another unmentionable site, one of the beer threads all to often features images of beers, the labels of which are entirely indecipherable, with no text to assist one's effort to identify just what is being shown.
Sure, I actually have all the details here on allrecipies.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sure, I actually have all the details here on allrecipies.

Perfect.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Here‘s a couple examples I sealed and refrigerated last night. They took on some nice amber and mahogany color. I’m concerned I smoked them too long.

View attachment 371
They say that it's like a seasoning that you have to use just right as not to over do it but I've never tried this myself. It looks tasty, did you try any?

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
They say that it's like a seasoning that you have to use just right as not to over do it but I've never tried this myself. It looks tasty, did you try any?

Not yet. I sealed and put them in the refrigerator. According to what I’ve read and heard from people who do it, they should age for one or two months now. So for the time being I can feel it’s a success. 😆

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Not yet. I sealed and put them in the refrigerator. According to what I’ve read and heard from people who do it, they should age for one or two months now. So for the time being I can feel it’s a success. 😆

If I knew I had some smoked cheeses in the fridge, I don't know if I'd be able to wait two months before eating them.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
If I knew I had some smoked cheeses in the fridge, I don't know if I'd be able to wait two months before eating them.

Before putting the cheese on I cut several little bite sized pieces to nibble on while reading. I set them aside and lit the smoke and loaded the Egg with cheese. As I sat down to read and nibble I found all my snacks were gone...vanished into thin air. All 8-10 pieces. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I glanced around the patio at the three 🐶 🐶 🐶. They were looking at each other, the grass, the sky...everywhere but back at me. 😠

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

I read you, hear you and.....empathise with you.

I'm not sure that my patience, self-control and self-discipline would allow me to wait two ones, either, in such circumstances.

I‘m putting on a spatchcocked (I hate that word) chicken soon. Stop by if you’re in the neighborhood and you can have some spatchcocked chicken too. I have Spotted Cow too.

As a word, it may present an unpleasant challenge, but, as a method for a particular preparation of chicken, it has few equals.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I‘m putting on a spatchcocked (I hate that word) chicken soon. Stop by if you’re in the neighborhood and you can have some spatchcocked chicken too. I have Spotted Cow too.

You know I take any offer for free food seriously, right? Don't think I won't drive cross-country for some chicken.

I'm not sure that my patience, self-control and self-discipline would allow me to wait two ones, either, in such circumstances.

I think the secret to making aged cheese like that would be to distract yourself from it. Always stock your fridge with other things you like, and keep them front and center to draw your attention. Keep it up, and eventually the cheese you're aging becomes an aside. Do it well enough, and it eventually becomes a pleasant surprise you're giving yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2