Butterflies!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Caught this lovely guy stealing from the hummingbirds just a few minutes ago. Came out pretty good with my iPhone. I took it as a Live shot and set it to Bounce. Hopefully we can see that from the forum. If not, just enjoy the still image.

FA66DFD9-2E6F-492F-8435-210A8570B325.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Caught this lovely guy stealing from the hummingbirds just a few minutes ago. Came out pretty good with my iPhone. I took it as a Live shot and set it to Bounce. Hopefully we can see that from the forum. If not, just enjoy the still image.

View attachment 488
Geez, what a great shot! I've never seen one hit a hummingbird feeder before, does that happen a lot? We have several up in our yard here in CA.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Butterflies are lovely creatures, aren't they? Sometimes hard to shoot, though. This spring and summer we didn't have very many around here at all, and I kept meaning to go to the nearby botanical gardens where they have a "butterfly garden" set up with all the various plants which appeal to butterflies. I went there last year with a friend and we had a great time. This year when I was at the botanical garden around the end of June it was apparently too early for the Monarchs and various other butterflies, as I saw only a few. I'll have to look for some of the images of butterflies I shot last year....

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Butterflies are lovely creatures, aren't they? Sometimes hard to shoot, though. This spring and summer we didn't have very many around here at all, and I kept meaning to go to the nearby botanical gardens where they have a "butterfly garden" set up with all the various plants which appeal to butterflies. I went there last year with a friend and we had a great time. This year when I was at the botanical garden around the end of June it was apparently too early for the Monarchs and various other butterflies, as I saw only a few. I'll have to look for some of the images of butterflies I shot last year....
Butterflies make awesome subjects. Last winter we visited the butterfly garden in Gainesville and got some amazing photos (just with cell phones). The photo I use here as my avatar was taken there, and there is a stunning butterfly on my arm.

We’ve had so many in the yard the last few days it’s incredible.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
There's a huge botanical gardens over in the Maryland suburbs called "Brookside Gardens," and every year (except in 2020) they set up a butterfly "house" where they have butterflies all over the place in the small building, with displays and explanations of the whole life cycle of a butterfly, and as visitors wander around, butterflies are everywhere! It's fun to visit; taking photos can be a problem in the small, warm and humid environment, though, especially if there are a lot of other people in the building at the same time. The butterflies are carefully, thoughtfully nurtured and monitored and it's a great place to take children.

Some years ago I was in Huntsville, Alabama, for a few days and one of the things we did there was to visit their botanical gardens, where they, too, had a wonderful setup for butterflies. It was delightful!

Top Bottom
1 2