Butters and friends: The thread

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
F3A1B8F8-8232-4E7B-86F5-89C3804E44C4.jpeg

Butters’ play pen for when she’s being a little too active for me to keep an eye on. I throw in layers of blankets with some drift wood and 4” pipes for her to explore in.

She’s been really active over the last week, usually doing “I want to explore!” scratches at the front of her enclosure when I get up in the morning or home from work.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Changed the title of the thread and accordingly going to put this here as this is a species relative and Argentine Tegus (mentioned once before in this thread) are widely considered the dog, as in man's best friend, of lizards. At about 3:10 he seems to really enjoy the pets.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of these things shouldn't be legal to own as pets.

I agree, way too many irresponsible pet owners and some illegal species still make their way to where they shouldn’t. I do wonder though if there is a “no questions asked" policy on turning over illegal species when somebody determines they just can’t deal with the care and upkeep. If there isn’t then of course people are going to release them into the wild to avoid likely fines and/or jail time.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I agree, way too many irresponsible pet owners and some illegal species still make their way to where they shouldn’t. I do wonder though if there is a “no questions asked" policy on turning over illegal species when somebody determines they just can’t deal with the care and upkeep. If there isn’t then of course people are going to release them into the wild to avoid likely fines and/or jail time.

Even with responsible pet owners, who believe they're doing everything they can to provide a good environment for their pets, animals can escape. If the owner passes away, the next owner may also not be as responsible as the first. It's safer to avoid allowing potentially invasive species as pets. I actually really like animals, but I couldn't see myself ever visiting a breeder or pet store of any kind. If I lacked allergy problems, I would probably try to lure feral or stray cats into adoption. Many of them can be quite friendly if you're calm around them and don't force them to tolerate petting. They don't typically come as far as my area though, presumably due to the coyotes and occasional feral donkeys. I don't particularly like the pet trade though, so I wouldn't want to support it but rather provide a home for existing animals that require one.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Someone on another site was driving home from work one day and spotted something in the road, wasn't sure what it was, so pulled over and got out to get a better look, see if the creature were injured.....and it was a Veiled Chameleon! They're not native to the area where she lives so it is likely that it did escape from wherever it had been kept -- probably the owner left a door or window open. Anyway, she rescued it, took it to her family's home nearby and they gave it some water and warmth while she did some quick research and then headed to the nearest shop that handled exotic creatures and was able to purchase the appropriate supplies to take him home with her. I think she also probably posted in Craigs List or that site that deals with neighborhoods (Next Door) to see if anyone had reported a missing Chameleon. She also took him to the vet the following day for a checkup and further information on care and nurturing of this beautiful, fascinating little creature.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone on another site was driving home from work one day and spotted something in the road, wasn't sure what it was, so pulled over and got out to get a better look, see if the creature were injured.....and it was a Veiled Chameleon! They're not native to the area where she lives so it is likely that it did escape from wherever it had been kept -- probably the owner left a door or window open. Anyway, she rescued it, took it to her family's home nearby and they gave it some water and warmth while she did some quick research and then headed to the nearest shop that handled exotic creatures and was able to purchase the appropriate supplies to take him home with her. I think she also probably posted in Craigs List or that site that deals with neighborhoods (Next Door) to see if anyone had reported a missing Chameleon. She also took him to the vet the following day for a checkup and further information on care and nurturing of this beautiful, fascinating little creature.
Oh wow, what a lucky find for them and the chameleon! Those can be hard to care for, need plenty of climbing area and humidity with plenty of ventilation. I hope it goes well.

Top Bottom
1 2