Butters and friends: The thread

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I don't know what our condo regulations are around exotic pets -- somehow I have the feeling that there are indeed rules about that, as the powers-that-be dictate how many cats or dogs someone may have and to a certain extent they also set limitations on the size. Certain dog breeds are absolutely forbidden. These are fairly small apartments and I am amazed at how many people here do have dogs. In my building there is one couple who are in a small one-bedroom apartment who have two boxers. To me that is just not fair to the dogs. When I first moved in here I had two Siamese cats but after each of them went to the Rainbow Bridge I decided that this would be it as far as having pets. I like dogs, but I am too darned lazy to get out and walk one in all kinds of weather and of course that would be necessary, as I don't have a fenced yard where I could simply open a door and let the dog out as needed. I adored my two cats but they were also a responsibility and I had to find someone to look after them when I was away -- I was lucky that a neighbor was kind enough to do the honors for me several times.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
B72A25C6-983B-4A1C-A434-53C9D044BD5F.jpeg

Just finished Butter’s camper for our Thanksgiving cabin trip. You may think it’s just a standard plastic storage tub with holes drilled in the corners and top for ventilation and a screen over a hole in the lid for heat lamp placement, and you’d be correct.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know what our condo regulations are around exotic pets -- somehow I have the feeling that there are indeed rules about that, as the powers-that-be dictate how many cats or dogs someone may have and to a certain extent they also set limitations on the size. Certain dog breeds are absolutely forbidden. These are fairly small apartments and I am amazed at how many people here do have dogs. In my building there is one couple who are in a small one-bedroom apartment who have two boxers. To me that is just not fair to the dogs. When I first moved in here I had two Siamese cats but after each of them went to the Rainbow Bridge I decided that this would be it as far as having pets. I like dogs, but I am too darned lazy to get out and walk one in all kinds of weather and of course that would be necessary, as I don't have a fenced yard where I could simply open a door and let the dog out as needed. I adored my two cats but they were also a responsibility and I had to find someone to look after them when I was away -- I was lucky that a neighbor was kind enough to do the honors for me several times.
My parents have always had cats and dogs for me to play with and visit. Since I've moved out I've mostly only lived in apartments. I'm not really a cat person and I don't think an apartment is a good life for a dog. Plus you start getting into big medical expenses later in life for cats and dogs, and that's assuming nothing major happens before then.

When I first moved out of my parents house waaaay back in the early 90's I had a decent rotation of reptilian pets and then all pets pretty much came to an end in the last 90's. Then a few years ago I caught a praying mantis at work and that seemed to light a pet interest spark under my ass again, the latest and largest being Butters.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, and I wouldn’t want them to try to take a bite.
It does make me kind of sad that the the purpose of this species in the balance of nature might just be a really good food source. I should maybe setup a support group for her and my feeder crickets.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
So how do they know they are supposed to be friends and not required to figure out who's lunch and who's a snack?
I don't. So like a stage mom I sometimes just put them by each other for pictures and then quickly put them back in their enclosure. Mostly they just ignore each other but that second shot with the heads close together was a little to close for comfort. Photo session ended quickly after that.

Fat tail geckos you can keep females together or a male and a female. You can't keep males together or they will get all gladiator on each other's ass.

Blue tongue skinks you can't keep together at all regardless of sex. They just don't like each other.

Top Bottom
1 2