Buying at a Camera Store vs Online

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad, really -- Sony is increasingly popular over here in the US and they have the advantage of already having a really good selection of native mirrorless lenses to put on one's new Sony camera, too. Nikon and Canon are still trying to catch up in that regard.
Canon are interesting right now aren’t they? They are in catch up but their new RF lens line up is really making a challenge to the norm. The size of the 70-200 RF is pretty cool.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, that Canon RF 70-200mm is surprising, isn't it? I was startled when I saw a photo of one. Sony has managed to reduce the size and weight of its 70-200mm II from v. 1, but it still looks pretty hefty. I haven't actually seen or handled one in a store yet, though.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, that Canon RF 70-200mm is surprising, isn't it? I was startled when I saw a photo of one. Sony has managed to reduce the size and weight of its 70-200mm II from v. 1, but it still looks pretty hefty. I haven't actually seen or handled one in a store yet, though.
You might have some wait. The Canon rep was in the store Wednesday to promote the R range. He had no Canon R bodies in demo to bring. How do they expect to promote stuff if you can’t see one?

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
You might have some wait. The Canon rep was in the store Wednesday to promote the R range. He had no Canon R bodies in demo to bring. How do they expect to promote stuff if you can’t see one?
Sometimes it feels like a kickstarter project. Here is our cool concept that we fully intend to release soon but later and it will be old by the time our artisan manufacturers can ramp up to pump out more than 2 a day…..

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it feels like a kickstarter project. Here is our cool concept that we fully intend to release soon but later and it will be old by the time our artisan manufacturers can ramp up to pump out more than 2 a day…..
It’s been a very difficult year when it comes to my job (purchasing). There is stock outages, transport issues, Covid. My job has never been so hard.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Well, since I am not in the market for a Canon anything and I'm also not planning to buy a Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II for a while (if at all), I can wait.... But that is a good point, as most people do tend to want to see and handle a new lens, especially if it is a brand or focal length new to them. I've handled most of the lenses I've got now prior to having purchased them, the exception being the Voigtlanders since no one around here carries them. A couple of the less-expensive Sony (non-G) lenses in standard focal lengths with which I was already familiar anyway such as the 85mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8 I did buy without bothering to handle first.

AFB, your company REALLY needs to start selling Sony! THEY've got plenty of lenses to offer prospective customers right now.....

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well, since I am not in the market for a Canon anything and I'm also not planning to buy a Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II for a while (if at all), I can wait.... But that is a good point, as most people do tend to want to see and handle a new lens, especially if it is a brand or focal length new to them. I've handled most of the lenses I've got now prior to having purchased them, the exception being the Voigtlanders since no one around here carries them. A couple of the less-expensive Sony (non-G) lenses in standard focal lengths with which I was already familiar anyway such as the 85mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8 I did buy without bothering to handle first.

AFB, your company REALLY needs to start selling Sony! THEY've got plenty of lenses to offer prospective customers right now.....
We have a new commercial manager starting next week. It will be my first recommendation to him!

Top Bottom
1 2