CA banning the sale of all new gas powered vehicles starting 2035

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My 2020 office. Child-proof, quiet and air conditioned.
View attachment 553
Nice, what series is that?

Mine is a 2020 530, I've been driving BMWs for about 15 years now.

car_1677.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Here's some of my use cases with our family ride over the last few years, and I'm talking actual scenarios where an EV would NOT have worked, or been a huge PITA ...

St. Augustine to our place in Tavernier in the Florida Keys
6 people
6 rollers
2 tubs on a hitch carrier with dive gears/nets/etc.

We fill up, pick up our travel friends, 400+ miles, one tank of gas, < 5m stops on demand, we show up with about 20% of a tank of gas, this is in our DD/RT with 360HP Hemi :D

We leave and it's a < 10m refuel.

St. Augustine to multiple VRBOs, Savannah, Charlotte
6 people
6 rollers

Same, 6 people, no gas stops, and __zero__ options for charging, street parking, no way to run power, chargers in hotels, airports miles away from where we're staying

Same as above, and no planning where we stay around vehicle fueling.

St. Augustine towing
7000+ lbs capability, enough said. :D

Boat, etc., no option from any vendor ... yet.

And my car, I wanted a sporty convertible, no EV options yet, and FFS, I certainly don't have $250,000 to drop on a Tesla Roadster

Ugh, Tesla just drives me nuts, I mean, if were to go EV, I might opt for a Model 3 Performance, but there's a ton of interesting stuff in the pipeline that looks as good or better - I love the Tesla idiots are all about saving the planet, yet anytime there's legitimate competition, they're naysayers - i.e., they don't really want to save the planet, they want to be Musk sycophants ...

If we dropped down to a single ride, I'd consider a dual motor Model S, but like I said, there's a ton of new products from traditional manufacturers: Audi, BMW, VW, even Ford, GM/Hummer, Nissan - plus a number of newer companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, and "spinoffs" like Polestar (Volvo, with investment from the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group ...)

U

User.45

Here's some of my use cases with our family ride over the last few years, and I'm talking actual scenarios where an EV would NOT have worked, or been a huge PITA ...

St. Augustine to our place in Tavernier in the Florida Keys
6 people
6 rollers
2 tubs on a hitch carrier with dive gears/nets/etc.

We fill up, pick up our travel friends, 400+ miles, one tank of gas, < 5m stops on demand, we show up with about 20% of a tank of gas, this is in our DD/RT with 360HP Hemi :D

We leave and it's a < 10m refuel.

St. Augustine to multiple VRBOs, Savannah, Charlotte
6 people
6 rollers

Same, 6 people, no gas stops, and __zero__ options for charging, street parking, no way to run power, chargers in hotels, airports miles away from where we're staying

Same as above, and no planning where we stay around vehicle fueling.

St. Augustine towing
7000+ lbs capability, enough said. :D

Boat, etc., no option from any vendor ... yet.

And my car, I wanted a sporty convertible, no EV options yet, and FFS, I certainly don't have $250,000 to drop on a Tesla Roadster

Ugh, Tesla just drives me nuts, I mean, if were to go EV, I might opt for a Model 3 Performance, but there's a ton of interesting stuff in the pipeline that looks as good or better - I love the Tesla idiots are all about saving the planet, yet anytime there's legitimate competition, they're naysayers - i.e., they don't really want to save the planet, they want to be Musk sycophants ...

If we dropped down to a single ride, I'd consider a dual motor Model S, but like I said, there's a ton of new products from traditional manufacturers: Audi, BMW, VW, even Ford, GM/Hummer, Nissan - plus a number of newer companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, and "spinoffs" like Polestar (Volvo, with investment from the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group ...)
Yeah, I think based on its advertised specs, only the Cybertruck could deal with those kinds of road trips. It was also hinted to have solar roof charging (like 15mi a day), if so, it could make for a decent off-grid rig. But I wouldn't hold my breath for it I think these things are 2-3 years ahead.

Where EV tech is appropriate already are daily commuters. There's a reason Model X remained the only 6-7 seater EV on the market for many years now. I at one point considered getting a use Model X, but reading about serviceability issues, cost of insurance, poor reliability, I would just probably wait it all out.

Tesla is the Apple of the car industry, so that's why all the fanboyism... The problem is..and I consider it an absolutely major one: we don't know what will happen when the cars near the end of their lifecycle. Teslas sound like extreme money pits: replacing a headlight on the MX costs thousands of dollars, and their service centers charge $150/Hr of work. Musk pioneered the production end, but it would take a similar level of innovation on the service/repair end.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
2015. I wish I had CarPlay. That's the only thing I'm really missing from the car. I've never been into BMWs but I really like the infotainment system and would miss it.
This new model is the first experience I've had with CarPlay and I had no idea how cool it would be. However, the neatest feature is the Active Driving Assistant (with traffic jam assist), the car virtually drives itself and you just babysit it for the most part and when you are stuck in traffic under a certain speed limit, you don't even have to touch the wheel in stop can go traffic. Driving technology has come a long way in recent years.

Top Bottom
1 2