CA banning the sale of all new gas powered vehicles starting 2035

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You can still own them and buy/sell them on the used market, but manufacturers will no longer be able to sell new gas-powered vehicles. I think that's fairly reasonable as a consumer and could be a good motivator for manufacturers considering how big and comparably wealthy our population is.

My concern would be having the charging infrastructure in place because we are nowhere near what would be needed, especially in older apartment complexes, but I do think there are already codes in place for new living structures requiring charging ports.

The environmental reasons are obvious but Newsom also said "Let us no longer be victims of geopolitical dictators that manipulate global supply chains and global markets." Sounds like that is something Trump would be on board with his America First shtick but he won't because he's fine with those dynamics when it comes to oil.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm very seriously thinking about an EV for our next ride. Lots of exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.

And I say this as a serious gear head, someone who likes to tune cars, customize, though the latter can still be done (in terms of aesthetics, handling, etc.)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In 15 years from now I would be very surprised if the internal combustion engine isn't all but obsolete anyway.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I mean, the upcoming Lucid Sedan just ran a __9__ second 1/4 mile with a trap speed of 144MPH. That's insanity.

Plus it will do 500+ miles in a charge.

I don't hide the fact that I've got some issues with Tesla (including Musk), but they just had their Battery Day event, new battery tech without Cobalt, they also are releasing a tri-motor S with performance like the Lucid, and in 3 years they'll have a full featured $25K vehicle with 200 mile range. Awesome.

Rivian Truck and SUV, the latter goes 400+ miles, seats 7, tows ~8K lbs, and can even drive through 3 feet of water.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I have a 2016 VW e-golf I bought new in 2016. $24K and got the $7500 tax credit, so just as cheap as a regular golf. It only gets 100 miles range but that‘s all I need, so it was perfect for me. One of my family members just got a Tesla model Y. They really like it, but it’s $50K instead of $25K and you don’t get the tax credit for Teslas anymore.

I really like it a lot. Haven’t bought gas in almost 5 years now!

I recommend an EV to anybody. If you need a lot of range, you can get something with 250 miles or more. If you want to save money, there are inexpensive options with lesser range. I think last year’s (2020) Chevy bolts are on sale for prices in the 25-30K range right now... but not sure if Chevy’s get the tax credit anymore. Mini Cooper EV is a cool car with 100 mile range and about $25-$30K.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@SuperMatt I didn't know that, we never talk anymore ...

Yeah, the new ID.4 from VW looks great, and comes with 3 years of free charging through the Electrify America network.

1600896039217.png

2WD drive version this year, then in spring, a higher power AWD model, this is in the $30Ks too!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
And I say this as a serious gear head, someone who likes to tune cars, customize, though the latter can still be done (in terms of aesthetics, handling, etc.)

I’ve heard Tesla interiors are pretty bland and because of that there is a growing industry dedicated to customizing Tesla interiors.

U

User.45

I'm very seriously thinking about an EV for our next ride. Lots of exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.

I have an EV. 2020 sealed the deal. It's gonna be totally viable.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’ve heard Tesla interiors are pretty bland and because of that there is a growing industry dedicated to customizing Tesla interiors.

They're pretty plain, I mean, they lack a lot of switchgear because most of the car control is done through that huge center display, which is good _and_ bad.

It's a kind of non-trivial issue with the Model 3 for me, the lack of a driver focused console and/or HUD (the S and X have driver displays in addition to the "ipad").

Materials are anywhere from OK to so not great. Not unlike the fit and finish.

I have an EV. 2020 sealed the deal. It's gonna be totally viable.

I've have some usage concerns, where over the last few years, I've been kind of background cognizant of the difference/viability if I was driving an EV. Some things would've been worse, some impossible, and some just not [subjectively] preferential.

But usage models change, previous needs aren't relevant any longer - and importantly, the viability improves as the charging networks grow, battery tech allows for longer single charge distances, etc., so I'm definitely moving that direction a touch.

What did you score?

U

User.45

I have an older model BMW i3 with a range extender.

If you're able to hook it up at home, you can charge at least 60mile of range overnight.
In terms of range, my principle based on experience:
These are the main factors regarding what range you need:
1. Can you charge at home?
Yes: you'll be fine with a range that needs charging every 2-3 days after adjusting for winter range loss
No: your ideal range would be something that required charging every 2-3 weeks (like pumping gas)

2. Do you get tough winters? A combustion engine means an oven in the car so heating is no big deal. But my 60mi range dropped to 20 in a 0 F illinois winter where you HAVE to turn on the heat or die. So those with cold winters should count with 50% of the reported range for those winter days.
ess.

U

User.45

I'd also add that IMHO if you want a car for family roadtrips, you're probably better off with a plug-in hybrid, like a Chrysler Pacifica which has a 32mi electric range

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
All the teabaggers in my area in rural CA are freaking out on the Next Door app, if they want their vehicle to get 3 miles to the gallon and billow toxic black smoke so they can stick it to the Libs then that's their God given right, apparently.

Last edited:
U

User.45

All the teabaggers in my area in rural CA are freaking out on the Next Door app, if they want their vehicle to get 3 miles to the gallon and billow toxic black smoke so they can stick it to the Libs then that's the God given right, apparently.
The thing is driving an EV is the most cybernetic experience I've ever had. My thoughts convert to movement immediately, no lag. My brain fires and the car jumps. The rumble in an ICE car after that makes you feel like something is wrong with the car.

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
This is a really good bit of legislation and, IMO, the right time to move forward with something like this. Kudos to CA for leading by example. After the devastating wildfires, the climate conversation needs to push forward.

There is so much opportunity for America to lead on a renewable economy. Energy companies really need to begin a massive pivot away from oil & gas, which is going the way of coal. Their lobbying power has diminished greatly on both state and federal levels, and as more and more states adopt energy exchanges, the demand for renewables is going to keep increasing.

All positive moves for the country if we can get beyond the 19th century-thinking Republicans and Trump.

Last edited:
U

User.45

This is a really good bit of legislation and, IMO, the right time to move forward with something like this. Kudos to CA for leading by example. After the devastating wildfires, the climate conversation needs to push forward.

There is so much opportunity for America to lead on a renewable economy. Energy companies really need to begin a massive pivot away from oil & gas, which is going the way of coal. There lobbying power has diminished greatly on both state and federal levels, and as more and more states adopt energy exchanges, the demand for renewables is going to keep increasing.

All positive moves for the country if we can get beyond the 19th century-thinking Republicans and Trump.
It's an amazing level of failure not riding the wave with renewables. I lived in Cali and wouldn't move back, but I sure appreciate the push. This is such a market opportunity that could have created a lot of jobs in the USA and without the direct and indirect health care cost of coal mining. The only limit was the battery tech, but cars will push that too. What we got from Trump instead are literally quixotic statements about wind energy.
1600992380667.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
As an EV owner, the “range anxiety” is not a problem for me at all. I don’t take 300-mile road trips every weekend, so I never have an issue. I think people over-estimate how often they will be limited by the range of the car. When it comes down to it, if you’re going to take a long road trip, just rent a gas-powered car for that trip. That is just my personal advice based on almost 5 years behind the wheel of an EV.

U

User.45

As an EV owner, the “range anxiety” is not a problem for me at all. I don’t take 300-mile road trips every weekend, so I never have an issue. I think people over-estimate how often they will be limited by the range of the car. When it comes down to it, if you’re going to take a long road trip, just rent a gas-powered car for that trip. That is just my personal advice based on almost 5 years behind the wheel of an EV.
Agree on the rental. Now for the range anxiety...when I lived in Chicago and didn't have charging in my apartment complex it was real. Once juice I had run out of my car 500 feet from the my workplace on a 10 F winter morning. Luckily I was able to restart and roll into the garage and charge. Since I can charge anytime, range anxiety had indeed evaporated.

The issue in a place like downtown Chicago is that chargers are either in paying garages so costly, or poorly maintained, or highly competitive. Like there was one Whole Foods with DC Fast charging (the one that gives you 80% in 30min), that was almost a fist fight with the Uber drivers with their Leafs. DC fast can be expensive if you don't have a plan, like 10 bucks and level 2 (15-20mi charge/H) means parking the car away from home, or working from the car for 4-6H. Again, with home charging, no issue. If you don't have that, you need a range that makes that trip only necessary 1-2x a month.

My current state has much better charging tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Agree on the rental. Now for the range anxiety...when I lived in Chicago and didn't have charging in my apartment complex it was real. Once juice I had run out of my car 500 feet from the my workplace on a 10 F winter morning. Luckily I was able to restart and roll into the garage and charge. Since I can charge anytime, range anxiety had indeed evaporated.

The issue in a place like downtown Chicago is that chargers are either in paying garages so costly, or poorly maintained, or highly competitive. Like there was one Whole Foods with DC Fast charging (the one that gives you 80% in 30min), that was almost a fist fight with the Uber drivers with their Leafs. DC fast can be expensive if you don't have a plan, like 10 bucks and level 2 (15-20mi charge/H) means parking the car away from home, or working from the car for 4-6H. Again, with home charging, no issue. If you don't have that, you need a range that makes that trip only necessary 1-2x a month.

My current state has much better charging tho.

Yeah if you cannot charge at home it’s not the best - I realize a lot of people have to park on the street. More workplaces should have ev chargers.

Top Bottom
1 2