California Cal/OSHA will require masks in the workplace indoors if any of their workers are unvaccinated

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, this is going to upset a lot of people. Basically, if a single person in any shared space doesn't have the vaccine they're going to require everyone to wear a mask. This will be the case through next year, at least at this point.

How would you like to be the only person in the office who chose not to get the vaccine forcing everyone else to wear a mask as a result?

U

User.45

Wow, this is going to upset a lot of people. Basically, if a single person in any shared space doesn't have the vaccine they're going to require everyone to wear a mask. This will be the case through next year, at least at this point.

How would you like to be the only person in the office who chose not to get the vaccine forcing everyone else to wear a mask as a result?
Some will try to leverage this to force work-from-home.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Uh, no. This is bullshit. Seems more reasonable to have the unvaccinated person wear the mask, if anyone does.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The unvaccinated person needs to be protected…
If this person is unvaccinated by choice, I’d say fuck ‘em. If they don’t have access to the vaccine somehow, then I’d agree more with what you’re saying.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
If this person is unvaccinated by choice, I’d say fuck ‘em. If they don’t have access to the vaccine somehow, then I’d agree more with what you’re saying.
That could possibly get very complex from a legal point of view. Workers are entitled to safe working conditions, even ignorant ones.

This way things will probably get sorted out unofficially anyway. Forcing everyone to wear a mask because you are an anti-vaxxer? Hello peer pressure and shaming! Forcing everyone to wear a mask because you are allergic and literally unable to get a shot? Hello compassion!

Yes, I’m a naive dreamer.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
That could possibly get very complex from a legal point of view. Workers are entitled to safe working conditions, even ignorant ones.

This way things will probably get sorted out unofficially anyway. Forcing everyone to wear a mask because you are an anti-vaxxer? Hello peer pressure and shaming! Forcing everyone to wear a mask because you are allergic and literally unable to get a shot? Hello compassion!

I come at this from a biased place. I wear a mask for 12 hour shifts. My employer is currently covered by the mask mandate from the town we’re located (virtually the last town in NH to still have a mandate). That’s going to drop by end of June, latest.

There’s some concern that my employer will try to keep the masks (pharmaceutical manufacturing). If that happens, I’d be compelled to transfer to another department, if not leave altogether. I really don’t want to do that. The people that make these decisions do not wear masks for 12 hour shifts. COVID may never go away. Vaccinated people are unlikely to infect unvaccinated ones. I am weary of masks, just like I’m sure hospital staff are.

So yeah, I’m biased.

U

User.45

Lol. Vaccine allergy isn't a thing and if it were, you'd have to get shots to learn you have it. And if someone got anaphylaxis with the first dose, then that person already got a shot.

People who have legitimate reasons not to get vaccinated are very very very very rare. Like cancer patients on treatment who'd not mount a response may reasonably delay getting it, but those people should probably avoid a packed work environment anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
At our workplace, only the unvaccinated need to wear a mask. Also, everybody at my workplace was given a free vaccine, so anybody unvaccinated intentionally refused it.

U

User.45

At our workplace, only the unvaccinated need to wear a mask. Also, everybody at my workplace was given a free vaccine, so anybody unvaccinated intentionally refused it.
Are there many?

(We're still supposed to wear even face shields for patient encounters and all my colleagues have been vaccinated this winter).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Are there many?

(We're still supposed to wear even face shields for patient encounters and all my colleagues have been vaccinated this winter).
We have over 200 workers, but I work with a group of 25-30. We have one person who didn’t get it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well, I'm as paranoid as they get but have been following CDC guidelines to a T, if they say I can go out and eat without a mask then that's what I will do. For some reason Cal/OHSA is just not going to risk it either way, of course customers have no requirements for retail establishments so there's that.

My guess is businesses will likely require their employees to get the vaccine and IMO there's no reason they shouldn't, at this point we have way more supply than demand so that shouldn't be an issue.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 2 friends in CA who haven't gotten vaccinated and may not. One is a Tucker Carlson fan ('nough said) but his wife and parents got vaccinated. He's of the "wait and see" opinion. As a Carlson fan I'm sure he will be presented weekly with stories of people who got vaccinated and yet managed to get some kind illness after, as if the vaccine is supposed to be a cure-all for everything. "Is it related? We may never know. Why is that? Hmm. I get all my information from the voices in my head and they don't have access to the internet where this information is easily accessible."

The other is a friend who has a health issue and adverse reaction to medication history. So she's kind of on "if it's not broken then don't break it" opinion.

Top Bottom
1 2