California panel unanimously rejects proposal for plant to turn ocean water into drinking water

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m kind of on the fence about this. Frankly, I’d rather see more people die than marine life but things are getting pretty dire and our government tends to fail at being reactive when it should have first been proactive.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Probably the best use for desalinated water is to pump it into Central Valley fields for irrigation. Once you desalinate, it becomes like distilled water, which does have its uses, but drinking distilled water is a very bad idea. Of course, the Central Valley floor is 200'+ above sea level, so pumping water up to there is perhaps a little more energy-intensive than might be cost-effective (unless you heat it up to the evaporation point and move the water vapor instead of the liquid water).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Once you desalinate, it becomes like distilled water, which does have its uses, but drinking distilled water is a very bad idea.

I agree on not using it as drinking water etc. But I do wonder why it couldn't just be added into existing reservoirs where it would mix with regular water and maybe pick up a few minerals on its own.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
so pumping water up to there is perhaps a little more energy-intensive than might be cost-effective (unless you heat it up to the evaporation point and move the water vapor instead of the liquid water).

Wouldn't that be even more expensive? Heating X amount of gallons of water to boiling point per hour strikes me as something that incur a HUGE amount of overhead.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instead of earmarking it for drinking, why not use de-sal water for irrigation and crops?

Top Bottom
1 2