California recall election now has 70 people on the ballot

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's a clusterfuck on an epic level. The reality is that unless there's some sort of bombshell over the next 10 weeks none of them will beat Newsom but until then expect a true clown show.

But they aren't running against Newsom. His fate is decided separately.

What I don't know is if no one gets 50%, is there a runoff between the top 2?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Of course they are, this doesn't really make sense.

Not that I am aware of. However, it's likely he'll end up above 50% anyway.

There are two questions on the ballot.

Recall Newsome? Yes or No

Vote for his replacement.

So if Newsom gets more than 50% Yes votes to recall, then he is out. I doubt any of them would beat him in a head-to head so that is why I said they are not running against him. They need him recalled for sure, but they are only running against the other 69 or however many it ends up being.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
One supposedly "serious" candidate on the ballot, is showing how serious they are... in Australia.

Speaking to Insider on Saturday, Sarah McBride—a Democratic state senator from Delaware who happens to be the highest-ranking openly trans elected official in the United States—decried Caitlyn Jenner’s gubernatorial ambitions, calling the reality star’s efforts “a trans vanity joke campaign.”

“Caitlyn Jenner running for office is not helpful because I don’t think people perceive her, and this is an accurate perception, as a serious candidate and as a serious person,” McBride said of the Republican candidate, who is running to unseat Democratic California governor Gavin Newsom in a recall election on Sept. 14. “I don’t see her talking to voters. I see her talking to far right-wing media. I see her talking to CPAC. I don’t see her talking to Californians.”

In case you had any doubts about McBride’s assessment, take a look at what ol’ CJ’s up to at the moment. With the recall election less than two months away, the former Olympian is...down in Sydney quarantining for two weeks in anticipation of shooting a new season of Celebrity Big Brother? That’s what Vanity Fair says. The outlet also notes that Big Brother typically involves about two months of shooting, so two months from today would be...three days after California’s recall election? A vanity joke campaign, indeed!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Read an article about how there are no Dems of stature on the ballot, unlike in 20003 when Lt. Governor Bustmante was on the ballot. (Didn't help as Arnold won anyway)

The could present a problem if Newsom is recalled, CA could end up with a Republican Governor.

Right now polls are indicating he beats the recall, but polls can and are wrong.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Read an article about how there are no Dems of stature on the ballot, unlike in 20003 when Lt. Governor Bustmante was on the ballot. (Didn't help as Arnold won anyway)

The could present a problem if Newsom is recalled, CA could end up with a Republican Governor.

Right now polls are indicating he beats the recall, but polls can and are wrong.
I’d put money on it not mattering. The people that pushed the recall election are the farthest right in the state. The overall population probably doesn’t want somebody from the Kardashians TV show to be their governor... although they did like entertainers in the past (Reagan, Schwarzenegger)....

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’d put money on it not mattering. The people that pushed the recall election are the farthest right in the state. The overall population probably doesn’t want somebody from the Kardashians TV show to be their governor... although they did like entertainers in the past (Reagan, Schwarzenegger)....

I would agree. But if CA has to go back into lockdowns again it could change some attitudes.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I would agree. But if CA has to go back into lockdowns again it could change some attitudes.
I think this is the biggest risk but the polls (and I agree they can be wrong) are heavily in his favor, it would take a massive swing and none of them are even remotely close at this point and they don't have long. Let's put it this way, if his biggest threat is Jenner then he's golden.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think this is the biggest risk but the polls (and I agree they can be wrong) are heavily in his favor, it would take a massive swing and none of them are even remotely close at this point and they don't have long. Let's put it this way, if his biggest threat is Jenner then he's golden.

I agree, but any of them being close doesn't matter. If he doesn't get 50% +1 on the Recall Yes or No question, it doesn't matter if the next person is polling at 3%.

I see his biggest threat as being Larry Elder. He has name recognition, he is a minority and he will have some funding behind him.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I agree, but any of them being close doesn't matter. If he doesn't get 50% +1 on the Recall Yes or No question, it doesn't matter if the next person is polling at 3%.

I see his biggest threat as being Larry Elder. He has name recognition, he is a minority and he will have some funding behind him.

I remember reading much earlier about concerns that there was no provision for a runoff election if a top vote-getter didn't hit some mark and meanwhile enough people voted to remove Newsom. But it may have been over in PRSI, not sure.

Anyway with 70 candidates, wow.... apparently any of them could can win by simple plurality in the event the vote to retain Newsom doesn't fend off removal. That would teach SOMETHING about review of ballot construction. Could be an expensive lesson though. Who are these 70 people thinking themselves ready to run a huge state like California? Their bad luick it turns out to be some social media influencer with a YouTube following. Name recognition is everything.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I remember reading much earlier about concerns that there was no provision for a runoff election if a top vote-getter didn't hit some mark and meanwhile enough people voted to remove Newsom. But it may have been over in PRSI, not sure.

Anyway with 70 candidates, wow.... apparently any of them could can win by simple plurality in the event the vote to retain Newsom doesn't fend off removal. That would teach SOMETHING about review of ballot construction. Could be an expensive lesson though. Who are these 70 people thinking themselves ready to run a huge state like California? Their bad luick it turns out to be some social media influencer with a YouTube following. Name recognition is everything.
They also have to release 5 years of tax returns, that should thin the herd a little bit lol.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A recall election is weird. People that are happy with the status quo might not even realize they need to go and vote to keep the existing governor. People that want change will be highly motivated. That being said, I think there is very little appetite to recall the governor. I expect the votes to recall him to be not many more than the signatures on the petition.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A few months ago it was passed in the budget that most Californians will be getting a $600 check (and more if you have kids) because we have a huge state budget surplus and when that happens by law we get some of that back. Even though the budget passed months ago Newsom either signed it recently or is about to and those checks will be coming in the fall. Hmm, timing?

Some of the rubes who voted for Trump in 2020 actually said the main reason they voted for Trump was that check with his name on it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A few months ago it was passed in the budget that most Californians will be getting a $600 check (and more if you have kids) because we have a huge state budget surplus and when that happens by law we get some of that back. Even though the budget passed months ago Newsom either signed it recently or is about to and those checks will be coming in the fall. Hmm, timing?

Some of the rubes who voted for Trump in 2020 actually said the main reason they voted for Trump was that check with his name on it.
He made the country wait as a result of forcing them to put his name on it, a total narcissistic piece of shit who couldn't give a shit about anyone but himself. I crossed his name off completely with a sharpie before cashing and had no issues with the bank.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
He made the country wait as a result of forcing them to put his name on it, a total narcissistic piece of shit who couldn't give a shit about anyone but himself. I crossed his name off completely with a sharpie before cashing and had no issues with the bank.

Agreed. I'm just saying for some voters the perception of who gave them money matters.

Going off-topic here, but in many ways even with Trump's poor handling of covid he should be grateful for it happening when it did because it managed to bury the fallout from his poor economic policies that would have been center stage if it weren't for covid. The timing is right up there with 9/11 happening the day after the pentagon announced it couldn't account for trillions of dollars.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

But the same Trump fans are quick to say they think the federal government wastes every buck it spends unless it's for something a defense plant builds in their state.

In California though, $600 state budget surplus checks in or out of the picture, it does seem like the recall effort is going to be an uphill battle for the righties who want Newsom recalled.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
But the same Trump fans are quick to say they think the federal government wastes every buck it spends unless it's for something a defense plant builds in their state.

In California though, $600 state budget surplus checks in or out of the picture, it does seem like the recall effort is going to be an uphill battle for the righties who want Newsom recalled.
That's consistent with the way of thinking amongst that group though. If EVERYONE gets something from the gov't it's an example of waste. When THEY get something specifically over other groups it's okay & somehow deserved.

It's just the selfish nature that's been fed by SOME of the party. They hate big gov't, gov't needs to stay out of people's business, and companies should be allowed to do what they want. You saw how all that got flipped on it's head during the last administration, and on a state level they are gleefully championing using the gov't for their own ends.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

Good. Even when they bring up legitimate complaints with California's governance, they still back dog shit candidates.

Top Bottom
1 2