Can geographic fossil fuel centers become renewable energy centers?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
As a simple example, what’s preventing Musk from moving all his CA-based operations to Appalachia?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe no one has suggested it to him yet?
I think there needs to be financial incentives too. There’s an extreme disconnect from what liberal new industry leaders talk about and what they are capable of doing but aren’t, specifically bringing jobs to poor areas. And they can’t use “that’s not where the talent is at” excuse because they’ve been flooding the western coast with Asian immigrants for decades. If the talent was on the western coast already they wouldn’t have to rely on heavy Asian immigration and they could do the exact same thing from anywhere in the US.

I think there is an elitist element to it, and although they probably won’t admit to it publicly, they way prefer to help the poor outside this country elevate themselves than the poor already here. It’s their own version of bootstrapping. They figure you already live in this country so you’re already 90% more likely to succeed but choose not to.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
As a simple example, what’s preventing Musk from moving all his CA-based operations to Appalachia?
Seven generations of inbreeding.
/s

...I meant to say mind set
both his as well as his industry’s.

on the other hand, it is tunnels that these people were known for.
so Boring Company and Appalachia do have a lot in common.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seven generations of inbreeding.
/s

...I meant to say mind set
both his as well as his industry’s.

on the other hand, it is tunnels that these people were known for.
so Boring Company and Appalachia do have a lot in common.
But on the other side of the equation I wonder how much such a move would get kickback from the local fossil fuel industry and their beholden politicians because they'd rather have their work pool unemployed but indoctrinated then have another industry come in and make them no longer appealing to work for.

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score

You want a strong workforce, not only of blue collar workers, but also of engineers, technicians, etc. These people will often come from urban areas and will have high expectations when it comes to nightlife, dining, education for their kids, healthcare...

You also want excellent infrastructure to help logisitics. Ideally you want to be close to the coast, railroad, and highways.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
You want a strong workforce, not only of blue collar workers, but also of engineers, technicians, etc. These people will often come from urban areas and will have high expectations when it comes to nightlife, dining, education for their kids, healthcare...

You also want excellent infrastructure to help logisitics. Ideally you want to be close to the coast, railroad, and highways.
Good points, but couldn't a lot of it be seen as "if you build it they will come"?

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Good points, but couldn't a lot of it be seen as "if you build it they will come"?
To a point, yes, but it takes a long time and a lot of money to kickstart that kind of shift (as in, large government infrastructure projects: dams, power grid, etc that last long enough for people to settle there).

That region also consistently votes republican, so they get what they vote for: a small government that doesn't invest in them.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
That region also consistently votes republican, so they get what they vote for: a small government that doesn't invest in them.
I'd be curious to see what would happen if a loud well spoken renewable energy leader who welcomed the press went there and spoke about what needed to be done while showing real (no condescending) empathy for the people who live there along with some real grass roots "let's get this done!" action. They don't even have to directly blast the local politicians, just some clam "We're trying to get this passed but are having some issues, but we'll keep working on it." comments. Have regular town halls to address the locals concerns.

Top Bottom