Canada fears a US dictatorship

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
A very sobering piece at CNN this morning.

Opinion: Even Canadians fear US democracy could end soon

The scariest part is here:

"By 2025, American democracy could collapse, causing extreme domestic political instability, including widespread civil violence," Homer-Dixon writes. "By 2030, if not sooner," he adds, "the country could be governed by a right-wing dictatorship."

I don’t think any of us are accustomed to hearing the word “collapse” used in terms of our country, but I think it’s appropriate. The idea that the United States might join Russia and China as one of the world’s three biggest dictatorships is alarming.

As the article points out, there would be numerous problems that other countries would have to be concerned with. For example, if political refugees seek harbor in Canada and the US demands them back, does Canada comply?

Beyond recognizing the danger, I wonder what any of you think other countries might do if a right wing takeover should come to pass. Economic sanctions on the United States might just be the start of things that we might see. It’s not beyond realm of the possibility that Canada and the European democracies might form some sort of a military/economic alliance that excludes the United States. If you want to take this even further, Canada may justifiably view themselves as the new largest democracy in the world, and begin to entice businesses to develop there, instead of here.

I don’t even want to begin to entertain the idea that other nations might actually start to arm themselves against us.

A decade ago, any of these ideas might’ve sounded pretty far out, but now they cannot be as easily dismissed.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
It will collapse. We have too many far right crazies in this country and everyone is just sitting back letting it happen.

Hello Gilead! I'll escape to Mexico lol

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A very sobering piece at CNN this morning.

Opinion: Even Canadians fear US democracy could end soon

The scariest part is here:

I don’t think any of us are accustomed to hearing the word “collapse” used in terms of our country, but I think it’s appropriate. The idea that the United States might join Russia and China as one of the world’s three biggest dictatorships is alarming.

As the article points out, there would be numerous problems that other countries would have to be concerned with. For example, if political refugees seek harbor in Canada and the US demands them back, does Canada comply?

Beyond recognizing the danger, I wonder what any of you think other countries might do if a right wing takeover should come to pass. Economic sanctions on the United States might just be the start of things that we might see. It’s not beyond realm of the possibility that Canada and the European democracies might form some sort of a military/economic alliance that excludes the United States. If you want to take this even further, Canada may justifiably view themselves as the new largest democracy in the world, and begin to entice businesses to develop there, instead of here.

I don’t even want to begin to entertain the idea that other nations might actually start to arm themselves against us.

A decade ago, any of these ideas might’ve sounded pretty far out, but now they cannot be as easily dismissed.
If you look at it rationally, Canadians have every right to be fearful because we have one of the two major political parties completely off the rails doing their best to destroy the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, Democracy, because they the GOP have decided democracy no longer serves their ability to hold power.

So the GOP’s transparent plan is try to act as if they are law abiding while they pass twisted laws and essentially are self serving lawless, and breaking every rule they can as long as the bottom dwellers who hold them up, continue to drink their Kool-Aid about the great un-Christian, Christian empire they’re trying to create. Look at Republican power at the State level, you won’t like what you see.

Not only that these people have guns and as already demonstrated, they don’t like losing Democratic fights, Jan6, (the latter, not the former, regarding their guns). Fortunately, but unfortunately they're not the only ones with guns and unless some amazing turnaround happens, in the next two years, we could find ourselves in a shooting revolution..

The Government is key here, because if we allow a shit like Trump to stock authoritative positions with his henchmen, including SCOTUS, all the more likely there will be violence because despite everything, I predict the majority won’t put up with this, Donny’s version of fascism.

Never forget, Trump was trying to break NATO when he was POTUS, trying to diminish it for his idol, both he, prominent Republicans, and Right Wing Ass Hats like Tucker Carlson were praising both Russia and Putin, until just a couple of days ago until it became apparant to their challenged brains that this move by Putin was eliciting universal worldwide condemnation. Is this enough to put a stake in Trump’s political life? Well the shit is still being lifted by his minions, but maybe there aren’t as many as there were a month ago.

Top Bottom
1 2