Cats

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This is probably fake but seems credible enough to me and far more amusing than a botched Touch ID break-in.

botched break-in.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
My cat is weird. She refuses to drink water out of her bowl and will only drink from a tap. She will indicate to me both verbally and physically that she wants a drink and then run off to the bathroom and sit by the sink. Once I have switched on the water, she will test it first with her little paw to make sure it's the right temperature. She also will occasionally let the water go onto her paws after drinking and use that, instead of her spit, to clean herself.

Have I got a defective cat?
No, your cat is a very intelligent one. It has trained you quite effectively! All smart cats know how to train their humans.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
My cat is weird. She refuses to drink water out of her bowl and will only drink from a tap. She will indicate to me both verbally and physically that she wants a drink and then run off to the bathroom and sit by the sink. Once I have switched on the water, she will test it first with her little paw to make sure it's the right temperature. She also will occasionally let the water go onto her paws after drinking and use that, instead of her spit, to clean herself.

Have I got a defective cat?
Nope, cat working as expected.

lizkat

Reaction score
When I shared a fourth-floor walk-up flat in NYC with a former college roommate, we had a big and very lazy and not really very bright orange tabby cat who used to love sleeping in the oval bathroom sink because he just fit into it, comfortably curled up. Worked great for him until the hot water faucet developed a slow drip and it took the super a couple days to get around to fixing it. Meanwhile that moronic cat not once but TWICE got into the sink anyway and curled up and went to sleep until the warm water reached his nose. At that point he woke up sputtering, then came charging into the living room like a half-drowned rat and full of outrage at whoever "had done that" to him. So comical... too bad it was long before the era of iphones and handy cameras!

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I shared a fourth-floor walk-up flat in NYC with a former college roommate, we had a big and very lazy and not really very bright orange tabby cat who used to love sleeping in the oval bathroom sink because he just fit into it, comfortably curled up. Worked great for him until the hot water faucet developed a slow drip and it took the super a couple days to get around to fixing it. Meanwhile that moronic cat not once but TWICE got into the sink anyway and curled up and went to sleep until the warm water reached his nose. At that point he woke up sputtering, then came charging into the living room like a half-drowned rat and full of outrage at whoever "had done that" to him. So comical... too bad it was long before the era of iphones and handy cameras!
This is the most cat thing I've read today. 😸

lizkat

Reaction score
^^^ That is sweet! Believe it or not, that was also the reaction of an aging barn cat, White Ear, long noted for her caring maternal attention. After a couple years of not bearing kittens, she came across the farm lane from a meadow one day, bringing a litter of abandoned baby skunks one at a time to hide and nurse them under the old barn where she used to hide her own kittens.

My bro-in-law just thanked God it was an old barn area where he just stored backup equipment and stuff they kept for parts.... so they just left the whole lot of that little zoo alone until one day White Ear --perhaps much more carefully at that point?-- marched them in a single-file troupe back across the farm lane, weaned and ready to go hunt for grubs and bugs and veggies on their own.

Fortunately most of the time baby skunks before weaning age will not spray. When they do, they're not very precise in their aim so it can be comical to see what happens if they nail each other instead of a perceived foe. But they'll telegraph intent to do spray by mewing and hissing and stomping around as they get a little older and decide to unload some of their "precious bodily fluid" weaponry. :rolleyes: It's a good time to take a hike for awhile...

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
^^^ That is sweet! Believe it or not, that was also the reaction of an aging barn cat, White Ear, long noted for her caring maternal attention. After a couple years of not bearing kittens, she came across the farm lane from a meadow one day, bringing a litter of abandoned baby skunks one at a time to hide and nurse them under the old barn where she used to hide her own kittens.

My bro-in-law just thanked God it was an old barn area where he just stored backup equipment and stuff they kept for parts.... so they just left the whole lot of that little zoo alone until one day White Ear --perhaps much more carefully at that point?-- marched them in a single-file troupe back across the farm lane, weaned and ready to go hunt for grubs and bugs and veggies on their own.

Fortunately most of the time baby skunks before weaning age will not spray. When they do, they're not very precise in their aim so it can be comical to see what happens if they nail each other instead of a perceived foe. But they'll telegraph intent to do spray by mewing and hissing and stomping around as they get a little older and decide to unload some of their "precious bodily fluid" weaponry. :rolleyes: It's a good time to take a hike for awhile...

Skunks really don't like to spray, since they seemingly can't do it repeatedly over a short period of time. I just alert them to my presence so that they can keep as much distance as they like, which seems to work. I do this by waving and saying "HELLO SKUNK!" They may raise their tails sometimes, but I do it from far enough away that they can retreat if they are uncomfortable. So far no one has witnessed it. I'm not sure exactly which way their reaction would go, but this amuses me.

lizkat

Reaction score
Skunks really don't like to spray, since they seemingly can't do it repeatedly over a short period of time. I just alert them to my presence so that they can keep as much distance as they like, which seems to work. I do this by waving and saying "HELLO SKUNK!" They may raise their tails sometimes, but I do it from far enough away that they can retreat if they are uncomfortable. So far no one has witnessed it. I'm not sure exactly which way their reaction would go, but this amuses me.

I spent hours one night sitting in my car in the driveway after discovering that while I was gone, a skunk had decided to walk onto my deck where I'd left the screen door ajar. The pretty big skunk was parked underneath the simple plank step up from the deck to the back door of the damn kitchen. I was out there with groceries (some melting) but not brave enough to tangle with a skunk who'd likely decide it was cornered and let me have the full treatment if I ventured towards that kitchen door. There was no way for either of us to sidestep an encounter if I had gone in there.

Finally I guess it decided there would be no storm after all (or it dismissed whatever alarm had earlier inspired it to seek shelter) and I took the next opportunity when in town to buy a regular ol' milk-house kind of screendoor slam-latch for that outer deck door, for sure. What a dilemma.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I spent hours one night sitting in my car in the driveway after discovering that while I was gone, a skunk had decided to walk onto my deck where I'd left the screen door ajar. The pretty big skunk was parked underneath the simple plank step up from the deck to the back door of the damn kitchen. I was out there with groceries (some melting) but not brave enough to tangle with a skunk who'd likely decide it was cornered and let me have the full treatment if I ventured towards that kitchen door. There was no way for either of us to sidestep an encounter if I had gone in there.

Finally I guess it decided there would be no storm after all (or it dismissed whatever alarm had earlier inspired it to seek shelter) and I took the next opportunity when in town to buy a regular ol' milk-house kind of screendoor slam-latch for that outer deck door, for sure. What a dilemma.

You know, your grocery trips seem a bit too eventful.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my cats just ate a wasp-looking insect. He didn't mess around with it; just gobbled that thing up like it was a cat treat. Then he went sniffing around the area like he was looking for another one! o_O

lizkat

Reaction score
One of my cats just ate a wasp-looking insect. He didn't mess around with it; just gobbled that thing up like it was a cat treat. Then he went sniffing around the area like he was looking for another one! o_O

Was it a cicada? Cats and dogs alike (and other critters) LOVE those things and will gorge on a mass emergence until they're practically comatose! Most vets however will say that eating them in moderation is a better idea...

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was it a cicada? Cats and dogs alike (and other critters) LOVE those things and will gorge on a mass emergence until they're practically comatose! Most vets however will say that eating them in moderation is a better idea...
No definitely not a cicada. Kind of looked like this

Great-black-wasp-400.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
No definitely not a cicada. Kind of looked like this

Great-black-wasp-400.jpg

Hmm... blue mud wasp? They're pretty cool. They kill a bunch of spiders one at a time --somehow these wasps don't get stuck in webs so they act like a struggling insect in a web until the spider shows up to dispatch its supposed meal-- and then the wasp stuffs these dead spiders into mud cells as they build their clustered nests. They lay one egg on top the first spider in each cell, then the wasp larvae snacks its way through the rest of the spiders as it develops. So if you don't like spiders, don't kill blue mud wasps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2